'Important win' delights Evans [Sky Sports News]

Newshound

Brighton 8049
Jun 5, 2011
Last Updated: 06/04/15 6:20pm

steve-rotherham-evans_3261732.jpg
steve-rotherham-evans_3261732.jpg

Steve Evans: Delighted with victory over Brighton

Steve Evans says his Rotherham side will not get carried away even after earning a vital 1-0 Sky Bet Championship victory over Brighton.
Matt Derbyshire's clever strike on eight minutes sealed the vital points for the Millers and ended run of four defeats.
Rotherham had the better of the first period but Derbyshire was the only one to take a chance with any conviction.
It proved to be enough and moved Rotherham seven points clear of the drop zone and to within two points of Brighton. It also condemned Blackpool to relegation to League One.
"We don't get deluded - there are no easy games in the Championship," said Evans.
"In terms of match pressure it was up there with the play-offs. This was an important win.
"Had Brighton equalised then I think the supporters would have gone out disappointed but knowing that they had had a proper return from their players.
"There's a real cause and a real togetherness among our supporters. Our supporters demand that we give everything we've got and that's what we do."
Rotherham missed several chances to extend their lead and were almost punished as Brighton recovered in the second period.
"We're unfortunate that it's not more than one but we would have taken a 5-4. We made some good chances and would expect to take some of them," added Evans.
"I think we can take consolation that my goalkeeper has not had a save to make apart from one from distance. Unless it was from an individual error I didn't see us conceding today.
"We had to batten down the hatches, get a result and we've done that."
Brighton manager Chris Hughton blamed his side for not being good enough at either end.
He said: "We weren't good in that first-half period. Probably in the end I can't say we deserved to get anything out of the game because of our first-half performance.
"We need to start better in games and we have got to be more productive in that final third otherwise we will put pressure on ourselves. Our work in that final third has got to be more productive.
"It was too comfortable a goal to score. The lad crosses it from the angle and we have got to do better to stop the cross and be brighter and expect runs in the box.
"I wasn't happy with the referee's performance. I thought there were so many stoppages which suited them because they are the team that had gone ahead."
Brighton missed chances to get level and move themselves away from trouble and Hughton is wanting to see more in the remaining games.
Hughton added: "We're a better footballing team than what we showed but we conceded a real poor goal. We weren't good enough in the first half on lots of counts.
"We had to be better and assert ourselves more in the second half but they defended well."

p-89EKCgBk8MZdE.gif

More...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here