Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why Do Motorcyclists Drive Between Lanes 2 and 3?

Murray 17

Jul 6, 2003
I was driving south along the A23 this morning and lost count of the number of motorcyclists, who were in effect, undertaking people in the outside lane. It is so dangerous!

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
I was driving south along the A23 this morning and lost count of the number of motorcyclists, who were in effect, undertaking people in the outside lane. It is so dangerous!

I'd imagine there wouldn't be the need to do it if people didn't cruise along in the middle and outside lane whilst leaving the inside lane vacant.

Murray 17

Jul 6, 2003
I'd imagine there wouldn't be the need to do it if people didn't cruise along in the middle and outside lane whilst leaving the inside lane vacant.
It was very busy this morning, all lanes full, so they were making a 4th lane. Just think they are taking their lives in their hands by driving like this.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

Indeed, most drivers are unaware that Motorcyclists are allowed to travel at an extra 20 mph more than the speed limit in all conditions and should manoeuvre out of the way accordingly.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Indeed, most drivers are unaware that Motorcyclists are allowed to travel at an extra 20 mph more than the speed limit in all conditions and should manoeuvre out of the way accordingly.

It would seem most drivers fail to understand that if you're not overtaking you should be in the furthest left lane, not driving ignorantly in the middle lane or better still the fast lane, no lets just blame the bikers.

Dec 29, 2011
It was very busy this morning, all lanes full, so they were making a 4th lane. Just think they are taking their lives in their hands by driving like this.

If all lanes were full then cars from the 3rd lane couldn't pull into the 2nd lane (and vice versa) so it isn't too dangerous. Hardly 'life in their hands' territory. How fast were the lanes of cars moving? More than 40 mph and then it's starting to get dangerous.

Murray 17

Jul 6, 2003
If all lanes were full then cars from the 3rd lane couldn't pull into the 2nd lane (and vice versa) so it isn't too dangerous. Hardly 'life in their hands' territory. How fast were the lanes of cars moving? More than 40 mph and then it's starting to get dangerous.
We were getting close to the junction with the A27 so people were beginning to change lanes. I guess we were doing 30-40 mph. For me the acid test is, could you imagine a police motorbike performing the same manoeuvre? If the answer is no, then it is not good road craft.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton

What was the speed of the traffic in lanes 2 & 3?

If less than 30 they were filtering and perfectly legal and encouraged in most countries to reduce congestion.
If above this speed they were idiots.

Murray 17

Jul 6, 2003
What was the speed of the traffic in lanes 2 & 3?

If less than 30 they were filtering and perfectly legal and encouraged in most countries to reduce congestion.
If above this speed they were idiots.
It was above 30 for a fair amount of the time.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
They drive between lanes 2 and 3 when there is a central barrier or reservation to prevent them driving on the wrong side of the road. Obvious really :shrug:

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
It was above 30 for a fair amount of the time.

So borderline.

There's an Australian public service video showing how it's the safest way to travel for motorcyclists in slow moving traffic .
It stops them being re ended by other vehicles when traffic slows and not everyone reacts.

As said its activly promoted for safely.

I shall be sure to use the term "strawberry jam" when I meet the wife and children in anhour of my mate who was killed on his motorbike two weeks ago.

Classy.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
It would seem most drivers fail to understand that if you're not overtaking you should be in the furthest left lane, not driving ignorantly in the middle lane or better still the fast lane, no lets just blame the bikers.

Oh I see, so it's car drivers that are causing Motorcyclists to take excessive risks in order to maintain their excess speeds. Thanks for the clarification.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I rode a Yamaha 175 Trail Bike in 1973---first one in Brighton-------so to the two thumbs down posters good luck if you think riding like that is :cool:

As a youngster I had a TS185 and then moved up to a CB500, I did some incredibly stupid things on the road but grew up fast and stopped doing those things. Some of my acquaintances didn't grow up and so they didn't grow up, end of.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
We were getting close to the junction with the A27 so people were beginning to change lanes. I guess we were doing 30-40 mph. For me the acid test is, could you imagine a police motorbike performing the same manoeuvre? If the answer is no, then it is not good road craft.

I'd estimate that the skill and intelligence of one average motorcyclist is equivalent to that of about 40 of the thrusting sales executives who every day swoop across three lanes of the A23 at the very last moment in order to make the A27 exit, pausing only to brake randomly just after they've cut in front of some hapless driver processing straight ahead for central Brighton. We should about them - they're much more likely to kill other people than a motorcyclist is.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
I rode a Yamaha 175 Trail Bike in 1973---first one in Brighton-------so to the two thumbs down posters good luck if you think riding like that is :cool:

Do you think being a learner rider 42 years ago qualifies you on how to tell full licenced motorcyclists how to ride in today's traffic?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here