Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Money in vegas.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
Hi all

I am going to vegas for a few days for the fight in late April/may. I am pretty much sorted for everything apart from deciding what to do for cash. What is the best thing to do?
1) take loads of cash
2) credit cards over there?
3) debit cards?
4) one of those pre paid cards from post office
5) something else
6) take 100 bucks and turn it into 3000 on first evening and use that.

I know I need loads of notes for tips but what should be my plan for cash for Thursday to Monday?

Any advice appreciated
Cheers

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Hi all

I am going to vegas for a few days for the fight in late April/may. I am pretty much sorted for everything apart from deciding what to do for cash. What is the best thing to do?
1) take loads of cash
2) credit cards over there?
3) debit cards?
4) one of those pre paid cards from post office
5) something else
6) take 100 bucks and turn it into 3000 on first evening and use that.

I know I need loads of notes for tips but what should be my plan for cash for Thursday to Monday?

Any advice appreciated
Cheers

My second home!

No simple answers where LV is concerned, you could quite easily do a fortune in 4 days if you were the sort.

I'd suggest just treat it like any other long weekend away with mates but with the addition of having plenty in reserve if needed (money in bank for debit card, plenty of available on credit card) ... oh and a modicum of self control. :wink:

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
Went to Vegas last month and we found it pretty expensive compared to previous visits. I took $500 cash , but soon went through it and that's without gambling, mainly food and drink. £6 for bottle of water in Caesars. £16 for 2 x drinks in Paris.

Used the cash machine to get more cash out and was charged at the machine and quite heavily from my bank ( lloyds) £15 per $500 cash withdrawal.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Take plenty of cash for gambling. Haven't been for 4 years, but we found that it was really hard to find a (free) cash machine on the main strip.

Shopping etc can be done with cards, as you'd expect. Although exchange rate right now means that stuff is probably cheaper in UK, so stick to drinking, gaming and strippers.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Cash for gambling Halifax x credit card, pay it off as soon as back, for the rest

nail-Z

Jul 10, 2003
North Somerset
I pre-booked cash with Travelex to pick up from the Airport, which was a very competitive rate. If you're optimistic you can pay a few extra quid which guarantees they'll buy back whatever you don't use at the same rate too.

Worked for me.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Whenever I go on holiday these days I always shop around for those debit cards from post office and travel agents for the best deal they are so convenient and better than loads of cash or cheques.
I obviously take some cash as well.
As it is the USA and especially Vegas you will need more cash than say a med holiday for stuffing into a strippers knickers for example.
Vegas is quite expensive but prices always go up along with room rates on a fight weekend.
The cards are Visa so taken almost everywhere and you can withdraw cash for free (maybe not in Vegas)
I would suggest 2 thirds card to 1 third cash.

thekinglives

Aug 14, 2010
Went March last year, and took a bit of cash ($500 or something) and piled the rest onto a currency card which worked really well for me.
I got one from fairfx which had good rates and sent out the card quickly. Highly recommend them... https://www.fairfx.com/product/cards

Spend about £3500 out there in 7 nights - not including hotels or flights...

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
We are going next week, we have gone down the route of booking a 2 bedroom apartment on the strip - I am interested to see if this saves me cash.

For 5 days I am going to take £450 as a starting point, but I have already pre purchased entrance into a few clubs and and pool parties

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
We are going next week, we have gone down the route of booking a 2 bedroom apartment on the strip - I am interested to see if this saves me cash.

For 5 days I am going to take £450 as a starting point, but I have already pre purchased entrance into a few clubs and and pool parties

What hotel? And how much? I stayed four nights(thurs-sun) at the Signature MGM(one bedroom apartment but with a huge sofa and/or the option of a second bed) a few weeks ago. Not sure of the exact price in dollars as I paid in yen but it was somewhere around $600-650. I'd be interested to know if I got a good deal or if there's better value to be had.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
What hotel? And how much? I stayed four nights(thurs-sun) at the Signature MGM(one bedroom apartment but with a huge sofa and/or the option of a second bed) a few weeks ago. Not sure of the exact price in dollars as I paid in yen but it was somewhere around $600-650. I'd be interested to know if I got a good deal or if there's better value to be had.

Booked via Air b and b, so its actually an apartment rather than a hotel, its opposite Planet Hollywood. - it worked out at £820 between 4 of us for 5 nights.

3 beds and a sofa bed.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Save yourself the money, when you get off the plane just walk straight into the propellor.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
I went for 10 nights about 2 years ago and changed a £1000 into dollars before going (got approx $1500)

I was down to my last $80 with half the holiday to go but i managed to win a poker tournament and earnt enough from that to get through the rest of the holiday comfortably but i was looking at how to get more money out whilst there before the win and there are a lot of charges to do so and seemed to be at quite a high rate so i would recommend taking more with you and then changing it back when you return (or keeping it safe until your next trip / sell it to someone you know who is going to the states later) rather than trying to get extra out whilst you are there.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
Save yourself the money, when you get off the plane just walk straight into the propellor.

I am the only one a little bemused about the Which magazine style hunting for the best credit card interest rates, hotel deals, and forex advice, for a holiday doing your bollocks gambling.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
I am the only one a little bemused about the Which magazine style hunting for the best credit card interest rates, hotel deals, and forex advice, for a holiday doing your bollocks gambling.

Some go to Vegas and don't gamble, plenty of shows and other things to do whilst you are there.

A lot of people leave in profit too (more than you'd think)

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
Some go to Vegas and don't gamble, plenty of shows and other things to do whilst you are there.

A lot of people leave in profit too (more than you'd think)

I know mate I am just kidding. You can see my point though it can seem a bit mental to listen to, oh well Thomas Cook are giving you $1.49 for a pound etc when you are flying transatlantic to go gambling. I can't get my head around that. If I was going to burn a few grand in Vegas I would not be worrying a bit about the exchange or hotel rate. It doesn't make any sense.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I'm sure it's fun if you like that kind of hoopla. I couldn't think of a worse place to spend ones time except perhaps Dubai which is also a hole.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here