Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Law changed so nuclear waste dumps can be forced on local communities

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
Nuclear waste dumps can be imposed on local communities without their support under a new law rushed through in the final hours of parliament.

Under the latest rules, the long search for a place to store Britain’s stockpile of 50 years’ worth of the most radioactive waste from power stations, weapons and medical use can be ended by bypassing local planning.

Since last week the sites are now officially considered “nationally significant infrastructure projects” and so will be decided by the secretary of state for energy. He or she would get advice from the planning inspectorate, but would not be bound by the recommendation. Local councils and communities can object to details of the development but cannot stop it altogether.

Apprently Croyden is on the top of the list to become a nuclear dump site

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
So all those communities that used to welcome nuclear waste dumping are going to be disappointed then?

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Apparently Croydon is on the top of the list to become a nuclear dump site
Does this mean even more puss oozing mutants and horribly disfigured freaks claiming benefits ???

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
as i understand it, the vast majority of "nuclear waste" isnt what you think it is, but the byproducts of various medical treatments and industrial processes that create material deemed radioactive, though less so than many areas are naturally. most the actual power plant stuff used to get recycled at Sellafield and whats left is then kept on site in "secure" storage, while we fart around trying to find a long term home for it.

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
as i understand it, the vast majority of "nuclear waste" isnt what you think it is, but the byproducts of various medical treatments and industrial processes that create material deemed radioactive, though less so than many areas are naturally. most the actual power plant stuff used to get recycled at Sellafield and whats left is then kept on site in "secure" storage, while we fart around trying to find a long term home for it.

There is now 4.5m cubic metres of accumulated radioactive waste kept in secure containers at sites across Britain, though only 1,100m3 of this is the most controversial high-level waste, and 290,000m3 is intermediate-level waste. It currently costs £3bn a year to manage the nuclear waste mountain, of which £2bn comes from taxpayers.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Radioactive byproducts......sounds exactly like nuclear waste to me.

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
Radioactive byproducts......sounds exactly like nuclear waste to me.

its stuff like the material used to create X-rays in your dentist, and the wrapper it came in. it has a nominal radioactivity so is deemed "nuclear waste", when you would obtain a larger dose of radiation standing on a granite outcrop in Cornwall.

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
Using the election announcement to sneak it through. Stay classy.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Obviously they will select the playing fields of an infant school, it will buried be just two feet down, and of course, there will be absolutely no shielding or safety procedures surrounding the most toxic of materials........

In your world 2 + 2 really does add up to 10 doesn't it?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
its stuff like the material used to create X-rays in your dentist, and the wrapper it came in. it has a nominal radioactivity so is deemed "nuclear waste", when you would obtain a larger dose of radiation standing on a granite outcrop in Cornwall.

I read a while back that the material to make 'glow in the dark' items is more radioactive than much of the nuclear waste we produce .... not entirely sure how much I believe that.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
Where did Labour dump the waste under their various watches then?

Wasn't most of the cesium & strontium dumped just offshore at Clevedon? Didn't some of the local population suffer strange reactions?

folkestonesgull

Oct 8, 2006
folkestone
I did a lot of work on this a couple of years ago. Any proposal woukd always have been handled at the national level, the government white paper makes it clear that a local community have to want to take the disposal facility. Previously a borough in west Cumbria voted to take the facility however the county council voted against it.
The facility is really needed before we build any more nuclear power stations, we have 50 years or material stored on the surface in Cumbria that needs to be buried 200-600m underground for the security of future generations. France has started work on theirs, as has Finland and Sweden. There can be huge economic benefits to hosting a facility so it may suit a 'nuclear community' already home to power stations which are a far higher risk.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Disgusting Tories don't give a damn about communities and the environment.

Much of the waste that is being dealt with now was produced during the post war panic to develop nuclear weapons. It would be a bit unfair to blame any of the modern parties.

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
Disgusting Tories don't give a damn about communities and the environment.

yeah, much better to just leave it in temporay storage for another decade or two until someone gets around to making a decision.

I read a while back that the material to make 'glow in the dark' items is more radioactive than much of the nuclear waste we produce .... not entirely sure how much I believe that.

very believable. in days of yore the material was pretty hardcore stuff but in such small amounts as to make no odds. it was replaced by tritium, which its safe though you wouldnt want to drink it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here