Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

La Liga BBVA - does it need intervention?

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Watching RM demolish Grenada, just like they and FCB seem to demolish every side pretty much in the league. Where is the sport? It seems to me to be basically a Spanish MTL apart from the top 2, I know AM did well last season, but Ronaldo has just scored a hat trick in about 5 or 6 minutes, there just isn't an opposition.

willyfantastic

Mar 1, 2009
yes it is boring as sin, and i cant see why anybody would bother watching any of the games on sky sports as its just 'how many goals will messi/ronaldo score' rather than a who will win - as much as people hate it, the two best top-tier leagues for competition at the moment are the premier league and the bundesliga

italy is being dominated by juventus as well

going back to your question - im not sure what can be done other than changing how tv rights are done over there. it seems everybody is in the shit financially apart form barca and real because they take the majority of the tv money as they negotiate it themselves. think it needs to be split evenly

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
same as scottish football for years with Rangers and Celtic. redressed the balance since Rangers looked up but give a few years and it will be the same.

Lurchy

Jul 2, 2014
Would also add in the Ligue 1 in France, as being another that's competitive. Lyon, PSG and Marseille are all fighting for 1st.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patreon
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Who cares?

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
9-1 FT, Ronaldo scored five.

dandanthebrightonfan

Jan 29, 2012
BN14
Premier League is no better top 4 predictable,bottom 3 predictable, lots of boring teams with overpaid players.
Watching RM demolish Grenada, just like they and FCB seem to demolish every side pretty much in the league. Where is the sport? It seems to me to be basically a Spanish MTL apart from the top 2, I know AM did well last season, but Ronaldo has just scored a hat trick in about 5 or 6 minutes, there just isn't an opposition.

Bombadier Botty

Complete Twaddle
Jun 2, 2008
La Liga will always be the most attractive league for top Latin American (Suarez, Messi) and Southern European (Ronaldo) players in terms of climate/lifestyle/culture and The Premier League will never be able to compete with that, but you have to question the motivation of such players for the reasons people have posted above, because it's just not competitive. I'm always surprised that fans of the Old Firm in Scotland would even bother cheering or be remotely excited by their team scoring a goal against teams like Inverness.

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
Why not let the "Superclubs" (i.e Barca, Real, ManYoo, City, Bayern, Juve, PSG, etc) form a European Superleague, sell the rights for tens of billions and let them disappear up their own arses?!?!? Surely that's got to be better for the game long term, and it gives the armchair fans something to cream themselves over week in week out. Leaves the real football for proper fans.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patreon
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
People are quick to have a go of the standard of our teams in Europe and how the standard is low because our league standard is poor, it's the complete opposite, Real,Barca,PSG and certainly Munich can play at 50% most games or the stiffs because the standard of most teams in the league are terrible.

The love of the German league is bemusing one club buys everyone because they are ten times richer than everyone else, even picking off players from the team in second with ease.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patreon
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
La Liga will always be the most attractive league for top Latin American (Suarez, Messi) and Southern European (Ronaldo) players in terms of climate/lifestyle/culture and The Premier League will never be able to compete with that, but you have to question the motivation of such players for the reasons people have posted above, because it's just not competitive. I'm always surprised that fans of the Old Firm in Scotland would even bother cheering or be remotely excited by their team scoring a goal against teams like Inverness.

Agree, teams should not be able to win by massive margins as often as they do In certain leagues, nor should someone score as many goals In a season. There is some truth in the joke "would messi do it on a cold night in Stoke"

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
Premier League is no better top 4 predictable,bottom 3 predictable, lots of boring teams with overpaid players.

You don't get many 9-1 results in the EPL, but seem to get at least a couple a season in the SMTL

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
This is how Barca and Real Madrid want it. La Liga is all about them, they just need other teams to make up the numbers.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

'Did well'? As in 'won it'?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Aberdeen won the SPL once, Blackburn won the EPL. One swallow and all that.

Not last year, they didn't!

The PL is unrecognisable now, from the time Blackburn won it.

Anyhow, since Blackburn won the PL, AM have won la Liga twice, Valencia twice, and Deoportivo once.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here