Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Red Bull make offer to buy Leeds

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
It's a shame these lazy journalists can't even do the research, Red Bull own 5 football teams, not 3, they've mised Red Bull Ghana and Red Bull Brasil.

theboybilly

It's a shame all of these 'big' clubs always seem to get out of jail financially. To think Chelsea were allegedly 91 days from going under before Abramovich strolled in. I don't remember too much of a CFC fan's protest either other than Matthew Harding lending them £5mill a couple of years previously.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
bit late for 1st April

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
It's a shame these lazy journalists can't even do the research, Red Bull own 5 football teams, not 3, they've mised Red Bull Ghana and Red Bull Brasil.

And they do not have a controlling interest in Liepzig as far as I'm aware.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
And they do not have a controlling interest in Liepzig as far as I'm aware.

I think you're right, the rules in German football prohibit majority owner takeovers or something. Clubs like Bayer were majority owned before the rules came in so are allowed, but i think there are measures in place to stop majority takeovers by businesses now.

"In Germany, there is the "50 + 1" rule, whereby the association or club has to have a controlling stake, commercial interests can't gain control, In Bayern Munich, for example, Audi and Adidas each own 9% but the rest is controlled by the members via the club.
There are two exceptions: Wolfsburg is owned by Volkswagen and Bayer Leverkusen is owned by the chemical company, Bayer - both clubs originated as works sporting clubs. But generally a club in Germany is a true club for the members."

Would happen in Germany

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I think you're right, the rules in German football prohibit majority owner takeovers or something. Clubs like Bayer were majority owned before the rules came in so are allowed, but i think there are measures in place to stop majority takeovers by businesses now.

"In Germany, there is the "50 + 1" rule, whereby the association or club has to have a controlling stake, commercial interests can't gain control, In Bayern Munich, for example, Audi and Adidas each own 9% but the rest is controlled by the members via the club.
There are two exceptions: Wolfsburg is owned by Volkswagen and Bayer Leverkusen is owned by the chemical company, Bayer - both clubs originated as works sporting clubs. But generally a club in Germany is a true club for the members."

Would happen in Germany

This. Hannover 96 tried to change this rule a few years ago. They called a vote and it was flatly rejected....Hannover being the only club voting for the proposal.

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/da...g/2009/nov/13/bundesligafootball-bayernmunich.

As you say, would happen in Germany :wink:

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Are they changing their nickname to "The Bullshitters" ???

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Am I the only one who thinks this is potentially bad news for teams like us.

A lucrative and financially stable Leeds added to a league already distorted by parachute payments just spells even more trouble for the 'have nots', like us.

Lurchy

Jul 2, 2014
Red Bull Leeds (Champions of Europe).

If they did take over, you would expect them to want to change the name to fit in with their other clubs... we all know how Hull fans reacted when the owner wanted them to be called Hull Tigers and obviously the fans reacted badly when Tan changed the Cardiff colours. Would the Leeds fans be happy, if it meant there was a large cash injection than ensured long term stability?

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Am I the only one who thinks this is potentially bad news for teams like us.

A lucrative and financially stable Leeds added to a league already distorted by parachute payments just spells even more trouble for the 'have nots', like us.
It is bad news, but only if they bust FFP.

Of course, no team would dream of doing that.

A mex eyecan

Nov 3, 2011
If they did take over, you would expect them to want to change the name to fit in with their other clubs... we all know how Hull fans reacted when the owner wanted them to be called Hull Tigers and obviously the fans reacted badly when Tan changed the Cardiff colours. Would the Leeds fans be happy, if it meant there was a large cash injection than ensured long term stability?[/QUOTE

The would probably sell their soul if it meant having a bit more cash and that allowing them to strut around like Billy Big B"""""ck
If Red Bull wanted to change the name the fans would tell us that they were the biggest team in Europe

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here