Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why do people keep dogs as pets?

gregbrighton

Aug 10, 2014
Brighton
  1. They smell. You can easily tell a doggy house.
  2. They are noisy
  3. They eat poo.
  4. They kill/main people/other animals.including children and babies
  5. Some m*sturbate shamelessly in public
  6. They rip up and destroy possesions and furniture

They do everything bad that cats don't do.
Cats > dogs. :D:D

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Why do we live with other humans:
  1. They smell. You can easily tell a human house.
  2. They are noisy
  3. They kill/main people/other animals.including children and babies
  4. Some m*sturbate shamelessly in public
  5. They rip up and destroy possesions and furniture
I guess because they're not all the same.

Bombadier Botty

Complete Twaddle
Jun 2, 2008
Life's too short to have a dog. I can understand it if you don't have kids, but why would you want that extra hassle in your life? Cats are infinitely preferable, deliciously self sufficient and are mini Albert Einsteins compared to thicko dogs (our cat Daisy worked out the Theory of Relativity last week while licking its own Botty)

Hugh'sDad

Nov 29, 2011
'Ove
I truly believe we should cull all domestic cats
Their sh!t can blind children, they crap everywhere but their own gardens, and they're wiping out our songbirds, just for the sport.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
  1. They smell.
  2. They are noisy
  3. They eat poo.
  4. They /main people
  5. Some m*sturbate shamelessly in public
  6. They rip up and destroy possesions and furniture

TD:D

Sounds like one of our old Clifton away coaches in the 70's

crasher

Jul 8, 2003
Sussex
It's an interesting question whether we should keep pets at all. Is it ethical to breed and control animals to boost our own self-image (like those meatheads with pitbulls), to counteract our loneliness (like old women with cats) or to amuse ourselves (kids with hamsters that they get bored of after a week)?

I genuinely think future generations will look back on us with distaste for our pet culture.

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
If thee or me started to lick our own private parts then we would be described as disgusting, especially if we then went up to our loved ones and started to lick their faces.

So why do we like dogs and cats?

I really do not know.....

Glad to live in a pet free house......

TNBA

TTF

Gary1

Oct 25, 2013
If thee or me started to lick our own private parts then we would be described as disgusting, especially if we then went up to our loved ones and started to lick their faces.

So why do we like dogs and cats?

I really do not know.....

Glad to live in a pet free house......

TNBA

TTF

They do that sort of thing purely for the fact that they are animals and haven't evolved as we have. God knows what man got up to before he became civilised. Then again a lot of humans are disgusting even though we are civilised. You mention the licking of privates before licking a human - what about people (and footballers have a bit of a reputation for this) who find it acceptable to flob in someone else's boat.

Last edited:

The Upper Library

May 23, 2013
Only dog owners would understand

More loyal than most humans

I think it is more to do with control- owning a dog is a damn site easier than being a parent. I have done both- the relationship between a human and dog should be reasonably easy to manage so long as a few basic rules are followed. This is not quite so simple with children or any human to human relationship.

From the Old Drum trial in 1870;

Gentlemen of the jury: The best friend a man has in this world may turn against him and become his enemy. His son or daughter that he has reared with loving care may prove ungrateful. Those who are nearest and dearest to us, those whom we trust with our happiness and our good name, may become traitors to their faith. The money that a man has, he may lose. It flies away from him, perhaps when he needs it the most. A man's reputation may be sacrificed in a moment of ill-considered action. The people who are prone to fall on their knees to do us honor when success is with us may be the first to throw the stone of malice when failure settles its cloud upon our heads. The one absolutely unselfish friend that a man can have in this selfish world, the one that never deserts him and the one that never proves ungrateful or treacherous is his dog.

Gentlemen of the jury: A man's dog stands by him in prosperity and in poverty, in health and in sickness. He will sleep on the cold ground, where the wintry winds blow and the snow drives fiercely, if only he may be near his master's side. He will kiss the hand that has no food to offer, he will lick the wounds and sores that come in encounters with the roughness of the world. He guards the sleep of his pauper master as if he were a prince. When all other friends desert, he remains. When riches take wings and reputation falls to pieces, he is as constant in his love as the sun in its journey through the heavens.

If fortune drives the master forth an outcast in the world, friendless and homeless, the faithful dog asks no higher privilege than that of accompanying him to guard against danger, to fight against his enemies, and when the last scene of all comes, and death takes the master in its embrace and his body is laid away in the cold ground, no matter if all other friends pursue their way, there by his graveside will the noble dog be found, his head between his paws, his eyes sad but open in alert watchfulness, faithful and true even to death.

- George Vest

Last edited:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here