Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hughton: Derision from Norwich Fans

Zen Frenzy

Jul 2, 2013
Withdean
Great turn out by Norwich fans yesterday but surprised by the extent to which some of them clearly hate Hughton. Walking past the "legends" pictures outside the West Stand there was much abuse being hurled at his image and a couple of home-made anti-Hughton banners. Thought most people saw him doing a pretty good job there? Considering the short time frame during which Sami presided over our own mini car-crash, BHA fans have been gentle to him by comparison.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
An easy target. Nothing to do with the players not being up to it.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Great turn out by Norwich fans yesterday but surprised by the extent to which some of them clearly hate Hughton. Walking past the "legends" pictures outside the West Stand there was much abuse being hurled at his image and a couple of home-made anti-Hughton banners. Thought most people saw him doing a pretty good job there? Considering the short time frame during which Sami presided over our own mini car-crash, BHA fans have been gentle to him by comparison.

Spoke with a few after the game..and suggested we get rid.

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
This has to be balanced by the Newcastle United fans holding demonstrations when he was forced out there, and the fine job he did in Birmingham.

If he had a perfect record he wouldn't be here, someone else would have taken him before us.

I think his tactics are a little negative, but on the upside, he has knowledge of this league and we have began to move in the right direction.

Mark Jones

Jan 28, 2011

Hughton slowly killed the soul of our club. His constant 'bigging up' of the opposition, his negative tactics, the lack of goals & the knowledge that when you go 1 down that's pretty much game over ruined the enjoyment of going to games for me. Fortunately Alex Neil has reignited my love for the game!

It was my first trip to the Amex & indeed the city of Brighton. Thouroughly enjoying the weekend here so far.

tommynockers

Dec 6, 2013
What someone does for one club doesn't mean they will do the same for another. ( Poyet? Barnes?)

Last edited:

mike79

Sep 28, 2005
Bournemouth
U

He did a pretty good job of turning us from fairly entertaining to horrible to watch, especially away from home when games were over as soon as we conceded first. Fans don't appreciate someone who turns them off football. Obviously not his fault the board waited so long before sacking him but his claims he'd have kept us up given our terrible form, run in and what was eventually needed to survive wound a few up after a season and a half of relegation form.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
U

He did a pretty good job of turning us from fairly entertaining to horrible to watch, especially away from home when games were over as soon as we conceded first. Fans don't appreciate someone who turns them off football. Obviously not his fault the board waited so long before sacking him but his claims he'd have kept us up given our terrible form, run in and what was eventually needed to survive wound a few up after a season and a half of relegation form.

but you do need to get over it and move on..having said that theres a few on here that still batter Poyet and he was successful :D

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Hughton slowly killed the soul of our club. His constant 'bigging up' of the opposition, his negative tactics, the lack of goals & the knowledge that when you go 1 down that's pretty much game over ruined the enjoyment of going to games for me. Fortunately Alex Neil has reignited my love for the game!

It was my first trip to the Amex & indeed the city of Brighton. Thouroughly enjoying the weekend here so far.

Hughton only managed Norwich in the PL right? Are your fans that delusional to expect him to go gung-ho against Man Utd and Arsenal?

Kept you up against the odds as well, which is more than his replacement did.

mike79

Sep 28, 2005
Bournemouth
Hughton only managed Norwich in the PL right? Are your fans that delusional to expect him to go gung-ho against Man Utd and Arsenal?

Kept you up against the odds as well, which is more than his replacement did.

Ha his tactics of ultra defence and useless subs were fine against the top teams, the problem was that it was often the same against the other 10 or so relegation candidates. He certainly never kept us up 'against the odds' given we weren't odds on to go down before the previous season. And a bit harsh to suggest his successor relegated us when on the back of 6 straight away defeats we'd have had to have taken at least 4 points from Fulham away then Liverpool, Man U, Chelsea and Arsenal for a chance of finishing above WBA. 5 teams who had all won the reverse fixture earlier in the season. Sunderland who were bottom and 7 points behind when Hughton went finished 5 clear of us.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Ha his tactics of ultra defence and useless subs were fine against the top teams, the problem was that it was often the same against the other 10 or so relegation candidates. He certainly never kept us up 'against the odds' given we weren't odds on to go down before the previous season. And a bit harsh to suggest his successor relegated us when on the back of 6 straight away defeats we'd have had to have taken at least 4 points from Fulham away then Liverpool, Man U, Chelsea and Arsenal for a chance of finishing above WBA. 5 teams who had all won the reverse fixture earlier in the season. Sunderland who were bottom and 7 points behind when Hughton went finished 5 clear of us.

Any team that gets promoted from the Championship just wants survival in their first Premier league season, and Hughton delivered that. I'm sure Leicester, QPR, and Burnley would be happy with scrappy 1-0 wins or 0-0s if they finish out of the bottom tree.

The fact that you didn't consider yourselves as one of the prime relegation candidates at the beginning is delusional.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Hughton did a bad job at Norwich in my opinion. He spent money on players who didn't perform (Van Wolfswinkel) and he set them up to be negative and unproductive. They didn't score enough goals and I would be lying if I said I wasn't concerned that we're going the same way (although we were unable to attack even before he arrived!). Hughton would have taken Norwich down that season, the run in was absolutely shocking, and his sacking was easily justified there, I can understand why the Norwich fans don't remember him fondly.

I don't think that has a bearing on the job he'll do for us though, I think he's a good Championship manager and if we do get promotion under his stewardship, I trust he'll do a better job of building a team capable of competing int he Premier League than he did at Norwich.

Any team that gets promoted from the Championship just wants survival in their first Premier league season, and Hughton delivered that. I'm sure Leicester, QPR, and Burnley would be happy with scrappy 1-0 wins or 0-0s if they finish out of the bottom tree.

The fact that you didn't consider yourselves as one of the prime relegation candidates at the beginning is delusional.

He took over after Lambert had kept them up, comfortably hidden in the midtable. Over the course of his season and three quaters, he dismantled the squad, changed the style of play and significantly reduced the quality of the team despite spending some big money. He did a bad job there, that's the reality but it happens in football. Hopefully he'll do a job for us more akin to the one he did at Newcastle and Birmingham.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Aug 8, 2005
Certainly what Norwich fans say about his tactics away from
home ring true. We have been woefully dull away from home since he took charge. I won't be going away again this season as a result.

mike79

Sep 28, 2005
Bournemouth
P

But Lambert kept us up that first season and didn't make the fans hate football either. Of course we were one of the prime relegation candidates but there were about 10 who could go down and some pretty awful teams who survived. And of course some of the signings were a joke. Record signing Ricky van Wolfswinkel would struggle in the championship.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
U

Norwich made it publicly known that they wanted him out before Christmas. It is impossible for any manager to work under those circumstances, especially during a transfer window. Your downfall was self fulfilled prophecy and I can understand what the negativity impact would be like to work at a place your bosses didn’t want you. Hughton was respected at Birmingham, and he got Newcastle promoted so he isn’t that bad.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing

Different division, but your logic could be applied to how many hounded McGhee out of the Albion when he was performing miracles. Look at where all those players ended up.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
P

But Lambert kept us up that first season and didn't make the fans hate football either. Of course we were one of the prime relegation candidates but there were about 10 who could go down and some pretty awful teams who survived. And of course some of the signings were a joke. Record signing Ricky van Wolfswinkel would struggle in the championship.
My mistake: I'd forgotten that Norwich had 3 seasons in the PL. I still think that a club like Norwich are, in reality, one of those clubs that are always going to have to scrap for points in the PL. Hughton has implemented similar tactics for our away matches, and we've won plenty of ugly but valuable points.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I hear what the Norwich fans are saying. We need to cut Hughton some slack because he's made better use of squad available than Hyypia did. Since Christmas this mid- table squad has shown mid- table form.

But there have been times - like yesterday - when our most creative players have not figured despite us being behind. No one in that ground was expecting Best or CMS to get a shot on target let alone score, so why leave Carayol on the bench?

Caution is one thing but being unnecessarily cautious is another.

Having three defensive coaches and no forwards worries me. The choice of Leon Best as loan striker was dismal. Will exciting players want to join this set-up in the summer?

mike79

Sep 28, 2005
Bournemouth
Norwich made it publicly known that they wanted him out before Christmas. It is impossible for any manager to work under those circumstances, especially during a transfer window. Your downfall was self fulfilled prophecy and I can understand what the negativity impact would be like to work at a place your bosses didn’t want you. Hughton was respected at Birmingham, and he got Newcastle promoted so he isn’t that bad.

Not sure how true that was given it was just paper talk and the board supported him to almost the very end when it was all over. It's not like our form dipped after January either, we just carried on with the same relegation form of the previous 12 months. He was respected at brum and Newcastle but they were 2 recently relegated squads, the latter being the strongest ever seen in the championship so not the hardest jobs. Brighton by far his toughest and for the first time no premier league players to work with. We'll be getting Van Wolfswinkel back in the summer as St Etienne aren't taking the option to buy. Maybe Hughton will give him a go on loan.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here