Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Anyone done a hot air balloon ride?

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Thinking of doing one overseas in the future. Are they worth the money? £200 seems expensive for just over an hour.

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
My sister and her boyfriend got bought a hot air balloon ride as a present from another couple.
Come the day they set off only to be called en route to say it was called off because of the weather. Days leave wasted. Booked next available slot some weeks later, same thing. Asked about refund and were told that they had to attempt the trip four times before one could be offered, and that the attempts all had to be within a year of the original purchase.
Finally managed a balloon trip on the fourth attempt. Be aware, and have a fun back up plan so you don't waste the day.

The Maharajah of Sydney

Jul 7, 2003
Sydney .
My cousin is visting Australia and last week spent his 40th birthday here in Sydney.
2 months ago his Dad contacted me from UK wanting to surprise him and did I have any ideas.
Suggested this ; http://seawing-airways.com.au/gallery/

30 Minute Scenic Flight from Rose Bay or Palm Beach
Price: $260 pp

Fly through Sydney Heads and continue at low level over the famous Northern Beaches all the way up to Palm Beach and Pittwater – at the far northern tip of Sydney – returning via Middle Harbour to conclude with a double orbit at the Opera House and Harbour Bridge. You will enjoy views of Manly, Freshwater, Dee Why, Collaroy, Narrabeen, Warriewood, Mona Vale, Bilgola, Newport, Avalon, Whale Beach, Careel Bay, Clareville, Scotland Island, the Ku-ring-gai Chase National Park, Bayview, Narrabeen Lakes and North Sydney on your flight. Allow at least 45 minutes to undertake this flight – of which 30 minutes will be actual flying time. (Scenic flight departures from Palm Beach commence at Pittwater and include all of the above.)

His Dad shouted his whole family - 4 of them ! £500 all up.
Was a picture perfect Autumn day, clear blue skies and a warm & sunny 25c
Was absolutely fantastic - a day he & his family will never forget.

C17BHA

Feb 24, 2009
Definitely Go For It

I have done two balloon rides over Sussex and it is a fantastic experience. True you can get cancelled several times until weather conditions are appropriate but that's not a great hassle. Deffo go for it.

Dec 15, 2014
Here
child-sitting-balloon-8359350.jpg

I wish I had used a bigger balloon.

Saint Lennard

Prawn Sarnie Casual
Sep 30, 2004
Seafront shelters
Been on two balloon rides. Both from Wadhurst. The first went north east the second west. A great experience but both were initially cancelled. Fortunately they were on Saturdays. £200 sounds a bit steep especially when factoring In the inconvenience of the cancellations. So be pressed to be flexible before you book.

Rogero

Aug 4, 2010
Shoreham
We had a balloon ride in Luxor in Egypt. Our alarm woke us up a 4.30 and we were transported to the balloon site about 5.30am and it was still dark. About 16 people climbed into the basket including a lady in her 80s. We rose up into the air alongside a dozen other balloons. We watched sunrise over valley of the Queens.The whole experience was fantastic and probably my best holiday experience ever. It was breathtaking. The price is only about 60 pounds and very well worth it. I think the balloon trips in countries like Egypt are more reliable and cheaper. Go for it.

Smirko

Aug 19, 2011
Brighton
I have done two balloon rides over Sussex and it is a fantastic experience. True you can get cancelled several times until weather conditions are appropriate but that's not a great hassle. Deffo go for it.

Where do they launch from and what time did you go for your flight etc?

Trevor

In my Fifties, still know nothing
NSC Patreon
Dec 16, 2012
Milton Keynes
Yes, it's an excellent experience. The whole cancellation bit is a pain. In our case, you could rebook within the year. We did one from Northampton balloon festival and one from Ambleside in the Lake District - Depending upon where overseas maybe your cancellation risk will be very small - go for it

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
We had a balloon ride in Luxor in Egypt. Our alarm woke us up a 4.30 and we were transported to the balloon site about 5.30am and it was still dark. About 16 people climbed into the basket including a lady in her 80s. We rose up into the air alongside a dozen other balloons. We watched sunrise over valley of the Queens.The whole experience was fantastic and probably my best holiday experience ever. It was breathtaking. The price is only about 60 pounds and very well worth it. I think the balloon trips in countries like Egypt are more reliable and cheaper. Go for it.

I was planning one in a very popular area of Turkey. Egypt sounds lovely. What year did you go to pay £60?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I must have been lucky as the only time I went for one the weather was perfect. It was a fantastic experience - although a bit weird being so far up with just a basket between you and the ground. As the flights are always at dawn or dusk, you get to see a beautiful array of colours as you traverse the sky. I'd certainly recommend doing one at least once

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I did one which was a present for my 40th birthday. Took off from Hickstead Hotel and you get involved in getting the balloon inflated. There were about 8 on our trip so not too crowded. It is a bit odd just having a creaking basket beneath your feet but definitely something to tick off the bucket list.

Saladpack Seagull

Just Shut Up and Paddle
I bought my wife a ticket a few years ago and the cancellation thing was disappointing. However when she did get airbourne she had a great time floating silently over Sussex. Perhaps abroad the weather won't play such a part in determining whether you can actually get aloft. What amazed her was that the only sound she could hear clearly was dogs barking and also how many houses have swimming pools! So go for it and enjoy the flight.......

Mutts Nuts

Oct 30, 2011
Thinking of doing one overseas in the future. Are they worth the money? £200 seems expensive for just over an hour.

You would have more fun if you spend your money on a flight in a stunt plane ,a balloon trip sounds ****ing boring

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003

Cancelled SEVERAL times? How about cancelled 28 times over a period of 5 years, most recent occasion two weeks ago! My advice is not to plan it for the UK unless you are very very flexible and can put up with potentially multiple cancellations. And the trouble is they don't let you know until 11pm the previous night for morning flights and 10am for evening flights whether or not they're going to operate. Very very very frustrating experience.

JTR938

Nov 24, 2012
Did one in Sri Lanka and was worth every penny! Very early start but was the best time to be up in the air.
Was supprised just how hot it got underneath the
burners, take a hat would be my advice

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
I too went for a hot air balloon ride in Luxor. Was a stunning experience. Think it worked out at about 80 pounds. Though some people had got it for far less and others far more. It's all about the bartering. That said, the sunrise was worth every penny

Zukey Seagull

Jun 23, 2013
Worthing

my dad done one years ago and we watched from a distance away in a car and as it went up it tilted on its side and blew for a few hundred yards and then crashed into the floor. everyone was ok. though. bit of a sight for a little one to see.

bluenitsuj

Listen to me!!!
Feb 26, 2011
Willingdon
Did one a few years ago in the Masai Mara in Kenya. Fantastic experience and wherever you land they then cook you all a nice fry up.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here