Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What's your favourite cake recipe?

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
For my 4,500th post I'd thought I'd ask about my favourite subject. Cakes.

Last Saturday at a charity market (I think it was for the National Trust) I bought a cake with unknown contents, it only cost me £2 or so.

It turned out to be cooked with bananas and walnuts and was DELISH. Me and some mates scoffed it over the weekend.

Do other NSC'ers have their favourite cake recipes? Maybe Delia from Norwich could comment...

Spanish Seagulls

Nov 18, 2007
Ladbroke Grove
My other half has really taken to baking of late and I am being spoilt (fattened up) Bakewell Tart is my current favourite, after some only to be expected mishaps she has happened upon the perfect Bakewell formula. Our kitchen is akin to an Alchemists after watching Bake Off at times whilst she goes through her baking phase, long may it continue!

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Depending on my mood - lemon drizzle or Dundee cake.
Lemon drizzle is easy to make but lovely.

If i'm honest i never make cakes just buy them. Rather spend time preparing a good dinner.

Tight shorts

Dec 29, 2004
Sussex
Vegan cakes are surprsingly good, must have a go at making one day. I echo the Lemon drizzle vote and also love carrot cake. I don't bother with shop bought cakes and not keen on cupcake fluff. I like cakes with stuff in them not on them.

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
Chocolate chip brioche pudding.,,,

Put a layer of chocolate chip brioche in a shallow dish, add chunks of dark chocolate and blobs of apricot jam. Pour home made custard over.

Repeat a 2nd layer

Sprinkle with demerara sugar

Bake until custard is set

Voilla....a giant jaffa cake. Bloody lovely

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
Chocolate chip brioche pudding.,,,

Put a layer of chocolate chip brioche in a shallow dish, add chunks of dark chocolate and blobs of apricot jam. Pour home made custard over.

Repeat a 2nd layer

Sprinkle with demerara sugar

Bake until custard is set

Voilla....a giant jaffa cake. Bloody lovely

I'm going to make that today. Co op have got chocolate chip brioche rolls on offer lol!!!!

Lemon drizzle is easy to make but lovely.

If i'm honest i never make cakes just buy them. Rather spend time preparing a good dinner.
Indeed it it, also Dorset apple tray bake cake for which we got the recipe off the BBC website. Oldest daughter loves baking an is always watching old "Bake Offs" on her iPad.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
My favourite is Beetroot Brownies, its a Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall recipe, very yummy, either that or Millionaire's Shortbread.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
My wifes chocolate & banana cake mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm :)

Eccles cake from a bakery in St Leonards.

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
I'm going to make that today. Co op have got chocolate chip brioche rolls on offer lol!!!!

A nice touch before you start with the brioche and custard is to lightly smear butter over the bottom and sides of the dish and then put demerara sugar in....enough to coat the butter all over...then remove excess. It gives a really nice crisp base and sides.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here