Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tankfest at the Tank Museum, Bovington, Dorset!

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
Tankfest is bloody good.
Those huge Cheiftains bombing round the site was something to see.
They were like huge rally cars chucking up the mud. I was surprised how fast they went.

The museum is good on its own but seeing them in action is something else

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
I had reason to visit the archive at Bovington a few years ago and confirm it is a very interesting museum, especially if heavy militaria is your thing.

The Tankfest demos are good too. I understand the working Tiger Tank is a thought provoking sight to be seen.

There is a live tank firing range nearby which added realism to the experience - I'm not sure if it is still active but current tanks used to be visible in action.

T.E. Lawrence's former home is close by.

I combined my visit to Bovington with a trip to the Royal Navy Air Service (RNAS) museum and archive at Yeovilton, which is also worth a good look.

As others suggest there are plenty of other local attractions to justify a visit.

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
Tank museum is great especially the German Tiger tank, that's how I remember it from being a nipper. Last time we were on holiday in the area I wanted to go but was out voted for Monkeyworld. Bad day to choose because of the weather they all decided to stay in hiding away. Kids and wife loved it, I hated it.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Well I never!! Been today to the museum, thought it was very good.

PHCgull

Gus-ambivalent User
Mar 5, 2009
Awesome museum.

My company built http://virtual.tankmuseum.org <doesn't work on ipad>

Shudder to think how the poor *******s operated the very first ones, the engine is basically directly under your bollocks, and the armour only protects you if you're driving straight at the enemy..

Spanish Seagulls

Nov 18, 2007
Ladbroke Grove
Swanage and Corfe Castle is worth visiting if you are down that way.
Corfe Castle in the mist is beautiful. I have moved to Weymouth recently which is about half hour away and have been past a few times and it never fails to evoke daydreams of ancient times.
Monkey World do great work with rescued monkeys many of whom were pets!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here