Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Beef burger beef

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
So, the local burger place we go to will quite rightly ask you to leave the restaurant if you ask for a burger cooked more than medium. And the Frau has had a ruck in London as they won't cook her lunch time burger anything other than well done due to health and safety. Bonkers.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003
Looks like the customer is always wrong !

Tell them, they are only a bloody cook, you are paying, and you will have it however you want

Pretentious cooks piss me off as much as pretentious musicians. You are not a brain surgeon FFS :rant:

(and if you think they are right to ask you to leave HT, then you are as bad as them) .................................... and relax

Grassman

Jun 12, 2008
Tun Wells
Not surprised, it's called a Hamburger

As a nipper in the late 70s I often went in to the Market Diner with my old man, he worked at the market so we'd be getting breakfast. They had 'hamburger' on the menu. For ages I actually thought it was made of ham. Then I went to Cuba in the late 90s and guess what, their hamburgers were made of ham!

*Before I'd seen it written as 'hamburger', I thought they were called 'handburgers', because you picked them up and ate them with your hands. Tell that to kids today and they won't believe you!

Yoda

English & European
All depends on if you know where the meat has come from that has been minced. If you don't you have to cook it well otherwise it can be a risk to health.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
All depends on if you know where the meat has come from that has been minced. If you don't you have to cook it well otherwise it can be a risk to health.

This is what the wife said. If the meat's fresh, and your kitchen is clean, what's the issue?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
As a nipper in the late 70s I often went in to the Market Diner with my old man, he worked at the market so we'd be getting breakfast. They had 'hamburger' on the menu. For ages I actually thought it was made of ham. Then I went to Cuba in the late 90s and guess what, their hamburgers were made of ham!

*Before I'd seen it written as 'hamburger', I thought they were called 'handburgers', because you picked them up and ate them with your hands. Tell that to kids today and they won't believe you!

Ha ha. This reminds me of when I backpacked around Cuba. I was so sick of pork after almost 4 weeks on the road that when I arrived back in Havana for my return flight I went to the most expensive hotel I could find, The Nacional, and ordered a beef burger. Yup, it was pork.

They also had a model shoot on in the garden that evening....but this is another story :wink:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Oddly enough I had this conversation last night over a burger, personally I can't see the problem with it if its 100% steak mince, however how many places in the UK actually use top quaility meat to make its burgers?

Personally I would always have mine well done unless I new where it came from.

On a side note, I had a burger with Black pudding and stilton in it last night, was ****ing gorgeous.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
So, the local burger place we go to will quite rightly ask you to leave the restaurant if you ask for a burger cooked more than medium. And the Frau has had a ruck in London as they won't cook her lunch time burger anything other than well done due to health and safety. Bonkers.

I've been to The Bird in berlin and they refused to cook my burger anything other than medium, what I received was a good-looking burger with horrible cold minced beef in the centre. Unless you really like the taste of cold beef having them medium-well is the only way. Won't be going back.

gregbrighton

Aug 10, 2014
Brighton
I had a burger from Smoque Grill in Islingword Road a few days ago. They haven't been there very long. Handmade and reasonably priced it was really very good.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I've been to The Bird in berlin and they refused to cook my burger anything other than medium, what I received was a good-looking burger with horrible cold minced beef in the centre. Unless you really like the taste of cold beef having them medium-well is the only way. Won't be going back.

I go there regularly, like every couple of weeks, and it's the place I reference. They are certainly pink inside, but not had one which is cold.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
I go there regularly, like every couple of weeks, and it's the place I reference. They are certainly pink inside, but not had one which is cold.

Maybe i'm just used to having my burger cooked properly, it wasn't served cold, but went cold after about 5 minutes. I was quite disappointed as it was very highly rated, the chips were good though (and the beer was great, but it's germany so you'd expect nothing less).

Frampler

Aug 25, 2011
Eastbourne
It really must be stressed that eating a rare steak and a rare hamburger carry different levels of risk. Bacteria tend to develop on the exterior of meat. This means that when you cook a steak, the bacteria are quickly exposed to heat and killed. The pink or bloody bit in the middle was very unlikely to have any bacteria on it in the first place.
If you've minced a cut of meat, you've moved the bacteria around. Some might be in the center and won't be killed by searing: the burger needs to be cooked through to guarantee that the bacteria are dead. That said, I've eaten many a pink burger and not had food poisoning, so the risk does need to be put in perspective.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here