Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Orlandi - we nearly lost him

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Blimey.

Former Swansea City star Andrea Orlandi has revealed how he was almost a passenger on the tragic Germanwings plane that crashed into the Alps last week.

The current Blackpool midfielder, who was initially due to return to the UK following a trip to Spain on March 23, wrote on his blog: "I flew down to Barcelona on Sunday to sign the purchase of my apartment and I was planning to fly back on Monday morning.

"Due to a timetable misunderstanding I missed the flight back and I had to rush to buy a new ticket to fly that same night or the day after," he said.

"The option to fly to Manchester via Dusseldorf came up, the same flight that crashed."

Source: http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/former-swansea-city-star-andrea-8953783

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
Lucky lad.

Wish I had an apartment in Barcelona.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
It seems football got lucky that day...

The players of Swedish soccer team Dalkurd narrowly escaped boarding the budget airline Germanwings' A320 that crashed in the French Alps killing all 150 people on board.

The team had considered four possible routes, one of which was on Germanwings flight 4U 9525, to take their players and staff home to Stockholm from a training camp in Barcelona.

The team ended up flying groups home on three separate flights, rejecting the Germanwings option because of the long wait for a connection in Duesseldorf.

"We really should have flown with that plane," Dalkurd sporting director Adil Kizil told the Sportbladet newspaper, as it was their first choice but the wait had changed their minds.

"Before we booked we looked at that flight that was going to Duesseldorf but there was such a long wait for the connection to Arlanda (Stockholm) that we chose to fly in three different groups instead."

Kizil said that the players at the third-tier club from the Swedish town of Borlange were very shaken when they realised how close they had come to meeting the fate that Manchester United (1958) and the Zambia (1993) national team had in the past.

"All the people there were at the same check-in desk as us at the same time. You could say we had a little luck today. What has happened is very, very tragic."

Germanwings is the budget airline of Germany's Lufthansa.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
We lost Orlandi 12 months ago thanks to Burke and have never adequately replaced him on the left of midfield.

Memories can do starnge things. He was never THAT good in my opinion, not since Gus left anyway, yes he had his moments, but he only seemed to perform well in fits and starts.

That's not to say l want him dead, he is a nice guy apparantly. lol

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Memories can do starnge things. He was never THAT good in my opinion, not since Gus left anyway, yes he had his moments, but he only seemed to perform well in fits and starts.

That's not to say l want him dead, he is a nice guy apparantly. lol
I think that you have missed the point, no he wasnt brilliant all of the time but we havent replaced him and need a left sided midfielder. What we have had hasnt been as good as he was, for any period of time.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I think that you have missed the point, no he wasnt brilliant all of the time but we havent replaced him and need a left sided midfielder. What we have had hasnt been as good as he was, for any period of time.

I agree that we do need a left sided midfielder, but then we probably needed one while he was here too. He was lucky in that he was playing in a winning team.

Don't get me wrong, he isn't a 'bad' player, just not as good as some on here with rose tinted specs and a poor memory seem to think.
Just my opinion of course!

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I agree that we do need a left sided midfielder, but then we probably needed one while he was here too. He was lucky in that he was playing in a winning team.

Don't get me wrong, he isn't a 'bad' player, just not as good as some on here with rose tinted specs and a poor memory seem to think.
Just my opinion of course!

FWIW, I agree. Very good in fits and starts now and again, when he wasn't on the treatment table. We never relied on him enough to really miss him in a playing sense.

Lovely guy though. And very handsome.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Some of the names we can discount but this was the team

M Kuipers, A Whing, T Elphick, J Wright yellow card (A El-Abd, 46), A Virgo yellow card, D Cox, A Navarro, A Crofts (M Wright, 46), M Thornhill, N Forster, L Dickinson (G Murray, 65)

Cheers. Jake Wright or Matt Thornhill then. Wright, I think.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Having looked at Google images it was Matt Thornhill, another in the long list of long forgotten Albion loanees

So many that season. Thornhill arrived from Forest with Aaron Davies, who made even LESS of an impression.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
The aeroplane story I heard about Orlandi was when, as an Albion player, he boarded a flight to Spain and found himself, quite coincidentally, sitting next to a fellow countryman he knew. His compatriot said barely a word to him. Conversations never started. Silence reigned. Unexpected behaviour for a chap's manager.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here