Votes: 23 39.7%
  • No - vote for the party YOU support

Votes: 35 60.3%

• Total voters

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Apologies for another general election thread. Genuinely interested to hear NSC's views and this must apply to many more on here.

I (like I'd imagine more people than ever before at a general election) find myself mostly attracted to one of the more minor parties. However, they haven't a chance of winning my constituency which is a key Labour/Conservative marginal. Whilst I prefer the smaller party, I also (again like most people I'd imagine) have quite a strong opinion on who I'd prefer in No. 10 out of Miliband and Cameron. Do I vote with my conscience and know that, beyond being a statistic in any future debate on electoral reform, I am not in any way influencing the outcome of this election, or do I vote for the major party I prefer, knowing that in doing so I am perpetuating the system that discriminates against the party I most support?

(Of course there are many other considerations, not least the local candidates themselves).

Poll to follow.

Apologies for another general election thread. Genuinely interested to hear NSC's views and this must apply to many more on here.

I (like I'd imagine more people than ever before at a general election) find myself mostly attracted to one of the more minor parties. However, they haven't a chance of winning my constituency which is a key Labour/Conservative marginal. Whilst I prefer the smaller party, I also (again like most people I'd imagine) have quite a strong opinion on who I'd prefer in No. 10 out of Miliband and Cameron. Do I vote with my conscience and know that, beyond being a statistic in any future debate on electoral reform, I am not in any way influencing the outcome of this election, or do I vote for the major party I prefer, knowing that in doing so I am perpetuating the system that discriminates against the party I most support?

(Of course there are many other considerations, not least the local candidates themselves).

Poll to follow.

vote for which of the two you want as PM. Time to vote for a smaller party is not at a general election (in my opinion)

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Vote with your conscience, because unless it is an actual tie, then your vote won't make a difference regardless of how marginal the seat is.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Depends on your seat.

If you are in a swing seat, then a tactical vote may well be the thing you need to do if you are against one of the leading parties. If you're not against either, then you may as well vote for whoever.

If you are in a safe seat, then vote for who represents your opinion. Whatever share of the vote your candidate gets, it sends a message that a proportion of voters share a view which the winning candidate/party would need to take heed of.

Seagull1989

Oct 31, 2011
In my consituency Brighton Pavilion it looks like it will be a head to head between Greens and Labour. I have always voted Conservative when I lived in Hove, but think that a vote for the Tories in Brighton Pavilion is a wasted vote as its unlikely they'll get in here.
So I have been thinking of a tactical vote for the Greens to limit the amount of seats Labour will win.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Vote with your conscience, because unless it is an actual tie, then your vote won't make a difference regardless of how marginal the seat is.

I don't agree with this necessarily. A safe seat who sees 15% of their constituents vote green say, will realise that a significant number of voters have environmental concerns and therefore that is a section of voters that they might feel the need to accommodate, or win over. While your vote hasn't been cast for a winner, it can, and should still have an influence on both local and national politics.

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS
You have to vote for what you believe in. If enough people do then that person will win in your seat.

Don't fall into this, vote for x and get y.

Elvis

Mar 22, 2010
Viva Las Hove
There are only two outcomes in Hove Portslade ( I'm assuming from your location that is your seat) it will be a dogfight between Red and Blue every vote for these two parties will count. A vote for the minor parties will be a vote against your prefered choice in No. 10.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
vote for which of the two you want as PM. Time to vote for a smaller party is not at a general election (in my opinion)

Isn't the danger that the big two pick up about 70% of the popular vote, but a huge percentage of that up and down the country could be tactical voters following the same reasoning as yours? Whereas if everyone voted with conscience, our society doesn't actually want these two large parties running the show. Just playing devil's advocate.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003
You have to vote for what you believe in. If enough people do then that person will win in your seat.

Don't fall into this, vote for x and get y.

There are only two outcomes in Hove Portslade ( I'm assuming from your location that is your seat) it will be a dogfight between Red and Blue every vote for these two parties will count. A vote for the minor parties will be a vote against your prefered choice in No. 10.

Well there you have it :lolol:

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Vote for the party that best matches your views at the time of the election. Personally, I think people who tactically vote are no different to the politicians many people complain about saying one thing and doing another.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Thanks to first past the post, yes. Apologies to the Green candidate for Lewes.

But then, what chance electoral reform when the stats say everyone voted for the big 2? (Or in your case I am guessing Lib Dem).

SAC

May 21, 2014
Remember that Katie Hopkins has said that she will leave the county if Labour get in.

Vote tactically and ensure we are rid of her.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Thanks to first past the post, yes. Apologies to the Green candidate for Lewes.

I'm no expert, I read the article on the ERS website, it goes over my head to a degree, but it does seem there is little to be gained from changing from the system we have now. Despite every permutation of PR applied to the result of the 2010 election (PR, AV, AV+, STV) we would still have ended up with a ConDem coalition government according to the Electoral Reform Society. Seems like the FPTP and PR systems will always favour the major parties, would it make a difference lower down the parties?

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
But then, what chance electoral reform when the stats say everyone voted for the big 2? (Or in your case I am guessing Lib Dem).
I guess I will have to campaign for electoral change to clear my conscience!

I'm no expert, I read the article on the ERS website, it goes over my head to a degree, but it does seem there is little to be gained from changing from the system we have now. Despite every permutation of PR applied to the result of the 2010 election (PR, AV, AV+, STV) we would still have ended up with a ConDem coalition government according to the Electoral Reform Society. Seems like the FPTP and PR systems will always favour the major parties, would it make a difference lower down the parties?
Firstly that assumes people would have voted the same - my example proves they wouldn't. Secondly how can it be right that a party that gains 23% of the vote only get 8% of the seats (using the lib dems at the last election as an example). Who's to say we wouldn't have had a lab/lib coalition under PR?

Edit: having just looked at the Green candidate's offering, he only seems to talk about Lewes, not mentioning Newhaven or Seaford, which seems a bit daft.

Diablo

NSC Patreon
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
Norman Baker won in 1997 through tactical voting did he not?

He won because most people voted for him....I want Cameron as PM but Norman as our MP.....Why ? because he gets involved with constituents and helps when he can..I know he was anti Amex etc but No polititian agrees with me on everything.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
He won because most people voted for him....I want Cameron as PM but Norman as our MP.....Why ? because he gets involved with constituents and helps when he can..I know he was anti Amex etc but No polititian agrees with me on everything.

Indeed. I dislike him due to the Amex business, but he's a hard-working, in your face, tirelessly campaigning politician. There should be more like him.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here