Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Official Site] ALBION AND NORWICH FIVE-A-SIDE TEAM

Newshound

Brighton 8049
Jun 5, 2011

A five-a-side team comprised of legendary Brighton & Hove Albion and Norwich City players over the years.*
Joe Corrigan (Goalkeeper)
An accomplished Manchester City keeper who would surely have gained more than nine England caps had he not played in the same era as Peter Shilton and Ray Clemence. He joined Brighton aged 34 in September 1983 and played all but one of the remaining fixtures in 1983/84. This included a clean sheet against Liverpool in the FA Cup during a famous cup victory for the Seagulls in January 1984. In his autobiography, ‘Big Joe’, he was surprisingly sour about his time at the Goldstone Ground. He gleefully joined Norwich City on loan that September after losing his place to Graham Moseley. Corrigan commented: “It was a breath of fresh air and though I only played four games, it was great to be playing again, and to feel wanted.”

Andy Rollings (Defender)
Signed by Brian Clough for Brighton, from Norwich City in April 1974, Andy went on to make 192 appearances for the Albion as the club rose from the Third Division to the first. His final match at the Goldstone came against the Canaries in October 1979 with ‘Rollo’ getting sent off for retaliating against Justin Fashanu. In an interview with Viva Magazine, Andy recalled: ‘‘He broke my nose for about the eighth time. I’ve seen it on YouTube. Fashanu was trying to demolish me. Eventually, the red mist came over me. I threw a punch. When I got the red card, I remember walking off to a standing ovation.” The defender left for Swindon in May 1980 but returned to the Seagulls as a non-contract player in 1986/87.

Gary Rowell (Midfielder)
A classy Sunderland attacking midfielder who hit 99 goals in over a decade of service for the Rokerites, after turning pro in 1974. Gary then had a short spell at Norwich where his time at the club was blighted with injuries and subsequently moved on to Middlesbrough while the club was facing receivership. He joined Alan Mullery’s Brighton side in August 1986 but was well past his best by this stage of his career. *Nevertheless, he sounded a note of optimism in the club’s matchday programme at the time: “We’ve rented a house in Brighton for three months and we’re looking around for somewhere to buy. My wife Wendy and our two boys, Christopher and Peter, seem to be settling in fine. It’s a nice town and there always seems to be something going on here.” Rowell eventually made 14 appearances before his contract was paid up in February 1988.

LATEST NEWS FROM*SEAGULLS.CO.UK

Justin Fashanu (Striker)*
This controversial player made his name at Norwich City where he hit 40 goals in 103 league and cup matches for the Canaries, earning an ill-starred £1 million transfer to Nottingham Forest. Amazingly, when he emerged as a transfer target for Brighton, the Seagulls manager Chris Cattlin invited Justin to stay at his house for four days so they could get to know each other better. In Jim Read’s superb biography of Fashanu’s life, Cattlin is quoted as saying: “Justin had a reputation of being a bit of a problem player with his other clubs but that is all in the past. In my dealings with him I’ve found him to be a smashing person and the sort of player our supporters will take to.” Unfortunately, knee injury problems, in addition to difficulties reconciling his religious beliefs with his sexuality, hampered his time at the Albion.
Jack Doran (Striker)
This Ulsterman scored a highly impressive 55 goals for the Albion in just 85 appearances between 1920 and 1922. He joined the club from Norwich City in March 1920, hitting ten goals in the remaining ten matches, thus ending the 1919/20 season as top scorer for both Brighton and Norwich. At the beginning of 1921/22, Doran hit each of the Albion’s first twelve goals of the campaign. Then, in November 1921, he hit five in a 7-0 thrashing of Northampton. Such were his goalscoring feats, he earned a £1050 move to First Division Manchester City in the summer. However, he never settled at his new club, and the management even tried to convert him into a centre-half. He moved to Crewe in 1924 before drifting out of the Football League.

Archie Macaulay (Manager)
This Scot won the League title on both sides of the border, with Rangers in 1935 and then Arsenal 1948. He made 103 league and cup appearances for the Gunners but did not feature in the 1950 FA Cup Final, despite playing in the semi-final replay. He went on to play for Fulham, before becoming player-manager of Southern League side Guildford City. After a spell as Dundee coach, he was appointed Norwich City boss in April 1957. In 1959, City very nearly became the first Third Division side to reach the FA Cup Final, but lost to Luton in the semi-final. Following the Canaries’ promotion to the Second Division, Macaulay took the reins at West Brom in 1961. However, he failed to settle in the area and asked to be released from his contract. Archie arrived at the Goldstone in April 1963 but it was too late to halt the club’s descent into the Fourth Division. His greatest triumph came two years later when he guided Brighton to the Fourth Division championship.

[h=3]ALBION V NORWICH
[/h]FRIDAY 3RD APRIL, KICK-OFF 3PM

[h=3]ALBION V BOURNEMOUTH
[/h]FRIDAY 10TH APRIL, KICK-OFF 7.45PM

[h=3]ALBION V HUDDERSFIELD
[/h]TUESDAY 14TH APRIL, KICK-OFF 7.45PM

p-89EKCgBk8MZdE.gif

Original article

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills