Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

I'm not suggesting that Portugal are a one man team....

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
Where was it played? 3,500 attendance?

Lurchy

Jul 2, 2014
Looks like it was very much a reserve team they put out and by the looks of it Cape Verde scored with their only shots on goal. Is crazy though how a team can be so reliant on one player.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
Another meaningless friendly, what is the f*cking point? Thank f*ck the proper football is back on friday.

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013
Not even England are that bad.

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
More of a surprise for me to learn the Cape Verde Islands are ranked about the same as Wales & Scotland by Fifa. When I saw that game on the fixtures list earlier in the day, I'd assumed it was roughly equivalent to England playing against Bermuda or the Falklands :ohmy:

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Oh that's a tiny bit annoying.
When I saw that fixture my first thought was 'I wouldn't be surprised if ...'.

Cape Verde drew all 3 games in their Cup of Nations group with Zambia, Tunisia and Congo.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
where the hell is Cape Verde? im pretty good with my geography, but cant say ive ever heard of the place.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Looks like it was very much a reserve team they put out and by the looks of it Cape Verde scored with their only shots on goal. Is crazy though how a team can be so reliant on one player.

It really isn't. Apart from Ronaldo and Fabio Contrau, who is missing? Don't be fooled by the use of the full names.

More of a surprise for me to learn the Cape Verde Islands are ranked about the same as Wales & Scotland by Fifa. When I saw that game on the fixtures list earlier in the day, I'd assumed it was roughly equivalent to England playing against Bermuda or the Falklands :ohmy:

This too, though. 39th. Above Japan, Sweden, Turkey, Nigeria and a host of other bona fide football nations.

And Scotland.

Last edited:

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Having just got back from a holiday to Cape Verde all I can say is well done to them. I think the population is only around 500k so to be ranked so high is amazing. They certainly seem to like their football though as I saw goal posts set up on beaches and scrub land all over the island.

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
where the hell is Cape Verde? im pretty good with my geography, but cant say ive ever heard of the place.

Former Portuguese colony, hence the names of the Cape Verde side :thumbsup:

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Very nice indeed and a 6 hr flight:thumbsup:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 162

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
Looks like it was very much a reserve team they put out and by the looks of it Cape Verde scored with their only shots on goal.

The first one wasn't even a shot! #BlameLopes

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
More of a surprise for me to learn the Cape Verde Islands are ranked about the same as Wales & Scotland by Fifa.
Same here - but 38th is only 20 places or so below England so not the great shock it first looks unfortunately.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Ifs and ifs....Madeira half way between Cape Verde and mainland Portugal may have had a good team present day team ,without Portuguese colonisation, with one of the the worlds best players leading their attacks.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here