Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Incoming ECB chairman Colin Graves goes to bat for four-day Tests

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
The incoming England & Wales Cricket Board chairman, Colin Graves, has confirmed he will push for the introduction of four-day Test matches in a bid to reverse dwindling global interest in the format.

While attendances in England will inevitably be strong during this Ashes summer, there are growing fears that less attractive opposition might fail to pull in the crowds. It follows a worldwide trend that has seen audiences for Test cricket lag behind the 20- and 50-over forms of the game.

I think we should look at four-day Test cricket and play 105 overs a day starting at 10.30am in the morning, with the ground drainage you’ve got now, and finish when you finish, as all the grounds now have lights.

“Every Test match would start on a Thursday, so you have two days for corporates, and two days for families. From a cost point of view you’d save that fifth day, which would save a hell of a lot of money from the ground’s point of view and the broadcasters.

“In reality, there’s not many people who turn up and watch it on the fifth day.”

A good idea for the game?

Jul 7, 2003
The incoming England & Wales Cricket Board chairman, Colin Graves, has confirmed he will push for the introduction of four-day Test matches in a bid to reverse dwindling global interest in the format.

While attendances in England will inevitably be strong during this Ashes summer, there are growing fears that less attractive opposition might fail to pull in the crowds. It follows a worldwide trend that has seen audiences for Test cricket lag behind the 20- and 50-over forms of the game.

I think we should look at four-day Test cricket and play 105 overs a day starting at 10.30am in the morning, with the ground drainage you’ve got now, and finish when you finish, as all the grounds now have lights.

“Every Test match would start on a Thursday, so you have two days for corporates, and two days for families. From a cost point of view you’d save that fifth day, which would save a hell of a lot of money from the ground’s point of view and the broadcasters.

“In reality, there’s not many people who turn up and watch it on the fifth day.”

A good idea for the game?

As ideas go, this isn't a bad one. However, some of his logic is a little flawed as he says it would save the grounds money but it is also potentially one day less of beer and food sales.

Trevor

In my Fifties, still know nothing
NSC Patron
Dec 16, 2012
Milton Keynes
Batting through the dusk period under lights is quite difficult though especially in England when it lasts a long time. There is dwindling interest in other countries - but not here yet. We would be damaging the product where it's popular. Don't know what the answers are to rekindle interest elsewhere though

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Could they not have a 4 day test and if time is lost, above a certain level say 4 hours through weather etc, play it on the 5th day. Obviously not if it is 1 hour but it would make it more difficult to hang on for a draw waiting for the rain.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
We'll be lucky to have 4 day matches this year.

El Sid

May 10, 2012
West Sussex
Next stop - 2 x 90 overs a side. Last man bats on.
Umpires get 1 ask the crowd and 1 phone a friend per innings.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
In theory the loss of the 5th day would mean an extra 5 days per summer for one day internationals. I'd buy that because we'd get more match practice, the counties would make more money.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I thought we were meant to bowl 100 overs a day already, a target that is usually missed as the team that is losing inevitably drags it's feet over every ball and field placement. No chance of 105 overs a day, fining of match fees over the years has made little difference.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
I thought we were meant to bowl 100 overs a day already, a target that is usually missed as the team that is losing inevitably drags it's feet over every ball and field placement. No chance of 105 overs a day, fining of match fees over the years has made little difference.
Test match is only 90 in 6 hours.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
We've definitely reached a point whereby five day cricket is a financial burden. If we want counties to survive, something needs to change.

The demographics of cricket have changed. I'd like to see a Saturday league Pro40 and bin off international 50 over. Reduce to forty, worldwide, and encourage countries to play them when most popular.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
We've definitely reached a point whereby five day cricket is a financial burden. If we want counties to survive, something needs to change.

The demographics of cricket have changed. I'd like to see a Saturday league Pro40 and bin off international 50 over. Reduce to forty, worldwide, and encourage countries to play them when most popular.

Counties play 4 day cricket though.

Personally I love Test match cricket, one day and 20/20 are a bit meh for me.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Counties play 4 day cricket though.

Personally I love Test match cricket, one day and 20/20 are a bit meh for me.

Sorry, I meant four day. More focus on a new and improved short game needed. I don't want that, personally, but if the game is to survive...

I like my idea of Saturday League.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
Sorry, I meant four day. More focus on a new and improved short game needed. I don't want that, personally, but if the game is to survive...

I like my idea of Saturday League.

Each format should have its own block on the calendar as well, so for instance the 20/20 competition should be played from start to finish before the the 40/50 over format starts, as well as the 4 day game etc.

Summer Saturdays is a good idea for the shorter format. I'd go.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
The way England players bat perhaps 7 day tests might be a better option?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

Yes, 50 overs is too long quite often, makes for a long day unless England bat second.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Each format should have its own block on the calendar as well, so for instance the 20/20 competition should be played from start to finish before the the 40/50 over format starts, as well as the 4 day game etc.

Summer Saturdays is a good idea for the shorter format. I'd go.
I agree. It's too bitty and can't be good for the players. One day they slogging, the next day they are surrendering their wickets meekly. Whilst I love free after tea, perhaps clubs could charge a few pounds? Start later or have longer days, so people get two hours of cricket (weather permitting). Hove is heavy with 1700 finishers.

Jul 7, 2003

I assume that is why he suggests using the lights and playing on until the overs are complete. Would stop some of those timewasting tactics if the players were going to miss out on their evening drinking.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here