Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Fixed term parliaments,what happens if ?

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Parliament can vote for a dissolution... if no one is able to govern. However, I am sure the larger parties would be pretty keen to avoid being seen to be responsible for such a decision.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Parliament can vote for a dissolution... if no one is able to govern. However, I am sure the larger parties would be pretty keen to avoid being seen to be responsible for such a decision.

IIRC it has to be a vote by two-thirds: the Tories put that in to stop Lib Dems and Labour ganging up with SNP/PC and forcing a no-confidence vote

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
IIRC it has to be a vote by two-thirds: the Tories put that in to stop Lib Dems and Labour ganging up with SNP/PC and forcing a no-confidence vote

No... Labours 4-year-term and Conservatives 'enhanced 55% majority' were both voted down... so it is a straight majority vote.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
If on May 8th there is no outright winner so it's coalition time again and maybe this time with more then two parties i/e Tories/Libs/Dup/Ukip (?) as seen in Guardian,what happens if one of the 'partners' walks-out ? Can a vote of confidence be called for ? How does it work in a fixed term parliament ? Could we be voting again this year ? http://www.theguardian.com/politics/ng-interactive/2015/feb/27/guardian-poll-projection

This is quite interesting: http://www.theguardian.com/politics/datablog/2015/mar/31/how-uk-2015-general-election-works

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex

Labours 4-year-term and Conservatives 'enhanced 55% majority' were both voted down... so it is a straight majority vote.

So, actually, both situation are possible...

Early elections can be held only:
• if a motion for an early general election is agreed either by at least two-thirds of the whole House or without division or;
• if a motion of no confidence is passed and no alternative government is confirmed by the Commons within 14 days.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
What happens if there is a hung parliament but a government can be formed with a Lib Dem coalition, and Clegg has lost his seat?

Will there be an interim deputy PM like Lord Pantsdown whilst the Lib Dems elect a new leader ?

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
What happens if there is a hung parliament but a government can be formed with a Lib Dem coalition, and Clegg has lost his seat?

Will there be an interim deputy PM like Lord Pantsdown whilst the Lib Dems elect a new leader ?

There is no requirement for the larger party to have a DPM from the smaller party, that was just a convenient offer for Cameron to persuade Clegg over the line.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
There is no requirement for the larger party to have a DPM from the smaller party, that was just a convenient offer for Cameron to persuade Clegg over the line.
I see, thanks. I wonder how vulnerable Clegg's seat is this time.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

Probably doesn't really matter what the actual Act of Parliament refers to, if a Government is in a minority and the majority of MPs vote down every bill then they won't really have a choice will they?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Probably doesn't really matter what the actual Act of Parliament refers to, if a Government is in a minority and the majority of MPs vote down every bill then they won't really have a choice will they?

That's a good constitutional question: as far as I can see if there's a minority government (one that's passed the 14-day rule) then it does require a two-thirds majority to call a new election. I believe that bills will just get continue to get voted down until a couple of parties have had enough but that's one for a sharper legal mind than mine

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS
That's a good constitutional question: as far as I can see if there's a minority government (one that's passed the 14-day rule) then it does require a two-thirds majority to call a new election. I believe that bills will just get continue to get voted down until a couple of parties have had enough but that's one for a sharper legal mind than mine

Exactly, so in a bizarre circumstance a parties own MP's could vote against their own Government for a General Election if that is wanted / needed to pass the 2/3s majority.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
So lets do this way CMD,Dup,Ukip are in charge with a total of 310 M/Ps and CMD says right it's Euro referendum time and lets say they as a 'pact' say lets leave,but they lose the referendum vote,would that bring him down ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here