Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Fixed term parliaments,what happens if ?

0 Not allowed!
    If on May 8th there is no outright winner so it's coalition time again and maybe this time with more then two parties i/e Tories/Libs/Dup/Ukip (?) as seen in Guardian,what happens if one of the 'partners' walks-out ? Can a vote of confidence be called for ? How does it work in a fixed term parliament ? Could we be voting again this year ? http://www.theguardian.com/politics/...oll-projection

• North Stand Chat

advertising

Super Moderator

0 Not allowed!
      Parliament can vote for a dissolution... if no one is able to govern. However, I am sure the larger parties would be pretty keen to avoid being seen to be responsible for such a decision.
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Titanic View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Parliament can vote for a dissolution... if no one is able to govern. However, I am sure the larger parties would be pretty keen to avoid being seen to be responsible for such a decision.
      IIRC it has to be a vote by two-thirds: the Tories put that in to stop Lib Dems and Labour ganging up with SNP/PC and forcing a no-confidence vote
      Super Moderator

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Gwylan View Post
      IIRC it has to be a vote by two-thirds: the Tories put that in to stop Lib Dems and Labour ganging up with SNP/PC and forcing a no-confidence vote
      No... Labours 4-year-term and Conservatives 'enhanced 55% majority' were both voted down... so it is a straight majority vote.
      Hotdogs, extra onions clippedgull's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Leekbrookgull View Post
      If on May 8th there is no outright winner so it's coalition time again and maybe this time with more then two parties i/e Tories/Libs/Dup/Ukip (?) as seen in Guardian,what happens if one of the 'partners' walks-out ? Can a vote of confidence be called for ? How does it work in a fixed term parliament ? Could we be voting again this year ? http://www.theguardian.com/politics/...oll-projection
      This is quite interesting: http://www.theguardian.com/politics/...election-works
      Proud Member Of Team BHAFC since 1974
      Super Moderator

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Gwylan View Post
      Labours 4-year-term and Conservatives 'enhanced 55% majority' were both voted down... so it is a straight majority vote.
      So, actually, both situation are possible...

Early elections can be held only:
      • if a motion for an early general election is agreed either by at least two-thirds of the whole House or without division or;
      • if a motion of no confidence is passed and no alternative government is confirmed by the Commons within 14 days.
      Not seen such Bravery! Blue Valkyrie's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
      What happens if there is a hung parliament but a government can be formed with a Lib Dem coalition, and Clegg has lost his seat?

Will there be an interim deputy PM like Lord Pantsdown whilst the Lib Dems elect a new leader ?
      Out of contract June 2020 : Bong, Balogun, Kayal, Murray, Schelotto, Ahannach
      Super Moderator

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Blue Valkyrie View Post
      What happens if there is a hung parliament but a government can be formed with a Lib Dem coalition, and Clegg has lost his seat?

Will there be an interim deputy PM like Lord Pantsdown whilst the Lib Dems elect a new leader ?
      There is no requirement for the larger party to have a DPM from the smaller party, that was just a convenient offer for Cameron to persuade Clegg over the line.
      Not seen such Bravery! Blue Valkyrie's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
      There is no requirement for the larger party to have a DPM from the smaller party, that was just a convenient offer for Cameron to persuade Clegg over the line.
      I see, thanks. I wonder how vulnerable Clegg's seat is this time.
      Out of contract June 2020 : Bong, Balogun, Kayal, Murray, Schelotto, Ahannach

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Blue Valkyrie View Post
      I see, thanks. I wonder how vulnerable Clegg's seat is this time.
      He will hold - with a reduced majority.
      Every Premier League game 2017/18