Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Italy v England

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Harry Kane looks set to be given his first start in the friendly in Turin tonight.

If he doesn't score with his first touch and/or go on to score a hat-trick, I shall be booing loudly at my television screen, and not just because it will be sodding ITV.

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
can't ever recall us winning over there,but I do remember the New York game when we was 2-0 down but scored 3 times in 8 minutes,it was played on a baseball pitch

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Speaking of ITV, I was led to believe that Andy Townsend and his never ending stream of inanities had been binned off for good. When does that happen then? I noticed he was still in situ for the last game, and presumably will be again tonight. And in all honesty, Clive, I'll be disappointed with that. When's he bloody well going?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
can't ever recall us winning over there,but I do remember the New York game when we was 2-0 down but scored 3 times in 8 minutes,it was played on a baseball pitch

In 1997 never did a 0-0 ever feel any less than a win. Full of hope back then. Brilliant in Euro '96, the MU kids all breaking into the team, quality at the back...seems an [after]lifetime ago.

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003

Then there was that vaguely heroic 0-0 draw in Rome when Ince finished the game covered in blood. That was one of England's better showings, even if they didn't win.

paul-ince_3248743b.jpg

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Torn between watching this and watching WrestleMania.
Torn between watching this and watching Homes Under The Hammer.

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
Then there was that vaguely heroic 0-0 draw in Rome when Ince finished the game covered in blood. That was one of England's better showings, even if they didn't win.

paul-ince_3248743b.jpg

wasn't Peter Taylor the 2nd, manager that night?

not a bad midfield eh!

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail

paul-ince_3248743b.jpg
So much so, two television personalities included in that popular song in '96. Now what was it called...

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex

We've not won in Italy since the 60's I think I heard on sky earlier. Missed the actual date and can't be @rsed to look it up.

Edit: Taking Italia '90 into consideration, and before the pedants get involved, I will rephrase that. We have not beaten Italy in Italy since the 60's.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

We did win there - 0-0 in 97 :thumbsup:

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

paul-ince_3248743b.jpg

Agreed. There's been loads of good showings in qualifying (wally brolly aside) since then. Our problem is we don't take that form into major tournos!

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Not happy wih that team though. Jones CM! Smalling! Delph! I know it's a friendly but even so..

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Agreed. There's been loads of good showings in qualifying (wally brolly aside) since then. Our problem is we don't take that form into major tournos!

Perhaps that's because we then have to play good teams, who are peaking at just the right time. It feels as though sides like Italy rarely peak in qualifying: they seem to do the minimum needed to get themselves to the finals and save their best form for when it really matters.

England on the other hand have tended to get excited about a qualifying campaign in which they beat someone like Luxembourg and Georgia, and then generally flop against the first decent opponents they play in the finals. Unless it's Holland.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here