Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Fickle fans, hive mentality, player abuse etc - the dumbing down continues?

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
I'm getting increasingly bemused by the reductionist nature of a lot of modern life in general and football in particular, and now Tony Bloom seems to be joining in. There's no such thing as 'the fans' Tony (see Argus article http://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/albion/12189421.Bloom__Get_off_Forster_Caskey_s_back/). If he'd have said 'some fans' then fair enough, but it's just the same old nonsense that 'we're' all fickle, there's no independent thought beyond the hive etc.

Regarding JFC, yes, he's had some dogs abuse at games and on the internet. But that's nothing new, it's just more easily accessible and instant now. In fact, you could argue player abuse now is handbags compared to the abuse of old, abuse that would get you arrested or banned from football at the very least now. Yes, some of it has been OTT, but the lad earns a living most of us can only dream of, there's only so far my sympathy can stretch when the performances that I've seen regularly don't justify what's coming out of my pocket week in, week out.

The more sinister side to this is that if you can group a bunch of people together, say fans of a football club, and treat them as one homogenised unit, then you can excuse dismissing them as one as being irrelevant. That's what's wrong with the "I'm more interested in what the manager thinks" nonsense. The manager is a human individual too, prone to the same weaknesses and bias as the rest of us. Surely if a significant number of people who go to games are saying the same thing it doesn't mean they're a bunch of fickle sheep, it probably means they're on to something, whether you like it or not Tony.

A mex eyecan

Nov 3, 2011
I'm getting increasingly bemused by the reductionist nature of a lot of modern life in general and football in particular, and now Tony Bloom seems to be joining in. There's no such thing as 'the fans' Tony (see Argus article http://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/albion/12189421.Bloom__Get_off_Forster_Caskey_s_back/). If he'd have said 'some fans' then fair enough, but it's just the same old nonsense that 'we're' all fickle, there's no independent thought beyond the hive etc.

Regarding JFC, yes, he's had some dogs abuse at games and on the internet. But that's nothing new, it's just more easily accessible and instant now. In fact, you could argue player abuse now is handbags compared to the abuse of old, abuse that would get you arrested or banned from football at the very least now. Yes, some of it has been OTT, but the lad earns a living most of us can only dream of, there's only so far my sympathy can stretch when the performances that I've seen regularly don't justify what's coming out of my pocket week in, week out.

The more sinister side to this is that if you can group a bunch of people together, say fans of a football club, and treat them as one homogenised unit, then you can excuse dismissing them as one as being irrelevant. That's what's wrong with the "I'm more interested in what the manager thinks" nonsense. The manager is a human individual too, prone to the same weaknesses and bias as the rest of us. Surely if a significant number of people who go to games are saying the same thing it doesn't mean they're a bunch of fickle sheep, it probably means they're on to something, whether you like it or not Tony.

Can't be all bad that in your world that's all you've got to worry about:whistle::whistle:

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales

Is the report an accurate representation of what was said in the interview, or has it been subtlety skewed by a journalist with an agenda of his own?

Look at the headline, did TB actually say that? It sets the tone of an us v them piece straight away, and it's possibly served it's purpose as it's generated a thread on here and more hits to the newspaper website.

:)

A mex eyecan

Nov 3, 2011
hey Hungry Joe, I just gone and thumbed you down, didn't mean to, it's my sausage fingers being too big for my iPad.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
hey Hungry Joe, I just gone and thumbed you down, didn't mean to, it's my sausage fingers being too big for my iPad.

Don't mention sausages to a Hungry Joe. I agree with you hungry Joe and as for having belief in the manager over fickle fans we saw that with the Boards support for Sammi. They finally realised the bed wetters were right all along but only just in time.

Dec 29, 2011
I think Bloom is deluded. Check our this quote:

"With the new manager (Chris Hughton) playing a different system, a more regular system, generally a 4-3-3 or something like that, then he (Baldock) is more suited in that formation to play out wide.

"That is one of the issues sometimes when you have a change of manager, particularly with Sami who played a particular style."

Sami never played a 'particular style'. Unless his style was 'do what you feel like and never track back to defend'.

Stumpy Tim

I think Bloom is deluded. Check our this quote:

"With the new manager (Chris Hughton) playing a different system, a more regular system, generally a 4-3-3 or something like that, then he (Baldock) is more suited in that formation to play out wide.

"That is one of the issues sometimes when you have a change of manager, particularly with Sami who played a particular style."

Sami never played a 'particular style'. Unless his style was 'do what you feel like and never track back to defend'.

To be fair, Sami's style was almost faultless. The only minor flaw his style had was that he needed both central midfielders and both full-backs to be in two places at once. Otherwise it was perfect

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here