Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

National anthem at euro 96

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015

I was previously an advocate of changing the national anthem for England games, I defy anyone to tell me that wasn't passionate and rousing , at least from the fans, such a shame football is so corporate and happy clappy now.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Euro 96 was a very special summer in the way that England played and progressed, and that night against the Germans was the highlight (unfortunately).

Think the current lack of similar atmosphere has more to do with England not even looking close to being contenders, as well as the obvious fact that '96 was a home tournament, rather than any corporate stuff (which was in abundance in '96 as well).

Last edited:

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Terrible England kit though.

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005

Yep, Barry Davies in that clip criticising Gary Neville for not singing. If you can find footage of the anthems from the Holland, Scotland and Switzerland matches you will definitely find fewer players singing. There was a definite media which hunt in that tournament forcing players to sing.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
A dirge commanding God to save a parasite could never give me goosebumps. I wouldn't sing that load of bollox if you paid me.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
Yep, Barry Davies in that clip criticising Gary Neville for not singing. If you can find footage of the anthems from the Holland, Scotland and Switzerland matches you will definitely find fewer players singing. There was a definite media which hunt in that tournament forcing players to sing.
**sigh** I've posted evidence that they WERE , how about you post some evidence that they weren't ? What's your point anyway ? The fans were the reason I posted the video, not the players.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Never fails to give me goosebumps that video...

Glad you're English too :thumbsup: hairs stand on end every time I see it!

Special mention to my cousin Gareth, Pearcey, Shearer and Adams for belting it out. Anderton should have been subbed after one minute because of his 'effort'!

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Euro 96 was a very special summer in the way that England played and progressed, and that night against the Germans was the highlight (unfortunately).

Think the current lack of similar atmosphere has more to do with England not even looking close to being contenders, as well as the obvious fact that '96 was a home tournament, rather than any corporate stuff (which was in abundance in '96 as well).

Going 4-0 up v Holland, the best home performance in the last 49 years was much better & letting a goal in to send the Jocks out made it even better...great times

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here