Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Homeless in Brighton

Oct 25, 2003
it's far beyond the point of 'becoming' a problem...it's been a fully fledged problem for a while now. The homeless services in this city are very overstretched and the problem is only going to get worse with cuts

this is my vocational field so don't really want to dominate this thread but I'm happy to answer any questions

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Becoming a problem? Old steine and clock tower now overrun on a daily basis, something needs doing.

The result of having their benefits sanctioned ? Scraping by below the breadline and then being made homeless as the landlord is not receiving housing benefit because the DWP have targets to meet with certain individuals standing out as easy pickings ?

Dec 29, 2011
You're absolutely correct, it is a problem. For those that are homeless. And yes something needs doing. To ensure that people aren't forced to live on the streets.

Obviously that's what I meant, I wasn't suggesting a mass culling. We pay enough council tax per month how hard can it be to provide decent services and shelters for the homeless to stay in and try and get on the right track?

And it is a problem for Brighton. It's an eyesore and can be intimidating. How many homeless are there on the main streets of London? None because they're not allowed to be because the government think it'll put off tourists. The same applies to brighton. Why is our city deemed less important than London that they can just send homeless people down here?

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
I can't imagine being in that situation and, hopefully, I'll never find out what it's like. I do often wonder what could be done (or isn't being done currently) to help alleviate the issue for those involved. There must be a reason (hopefully not just political) that it seems to just be ignored.

Sadly, I can't imagine this thread will last long before the usual 'it's their own fault'/'just get a job' rubbish gets spouted, or it becomes a new place for political drums to be thumped.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
There are now 123,000 homeless people in the UK, a 26% increase in 4 years. Homelessness in London increased by 75% in that time... and of course many of them end up here.
Cameron needs to take a long hard look at himself, but he won't as take from the poor is the Tory way.

Oct 25, 2003
the problem definitely isn't being ignored, a lot of the problems are financial. The council simply doesn't have the money to provide accommodation for those that need it (even people with local connection status are placed on a waiting list for hostels) and private renting comes with expensive start up costs and need for a guarantor etc.

the homelessness services in Brighton are probably the best in the country

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
Obviously that's what I meant, I wasn't suggesting a mass culling. We pay enough council tax per month how hard can it be to provide decent services and shelters for the homeless to stay in and try and get on the right track?

And it is a problem for Brighton. It's an eyesore and can be intimidating. How many homeless are there on the main streets of London? None because they're not allowed to be because the government think it'll put off tourists. The same applies to brighton. Why is our city deemed less important than London that they can just send homeless people down here?

http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/1166...train_tickets_from_London_to_Brighton/?ref=mr

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham

You just get better, so now the poor are an eyesore? jeez

brianwade

Jan 31, 2008
Perhaps the Albion should hand out some free tickets to homeless people over the next few games . Actually support them and make them feel part of this community . There are going to be plenty of empty seats over the next few games after all . It's a terrible shame that the safety net has bigger and bigger holes in it and but for the grace of god many of us could be in that position . Perhaps the players could chip in with a weeks wages each which would be enough to start to build and finance a new homeless centre in Brighton & Hove . Mind you that's not a solution to the problem - the solution is to show the Tories the door

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Well brave yourselves because if the Tory thieves get in again they have pledged to cut 12 Billion from welfare, 6 Billion of which is to be cut from disabled claimants so expect to see a lot more limbless/ mentally I'll/ War veterans on the streets over the next 5 years if the British don't wake up and vote these *******s out.

Greyrun

Feb 23, 2009
There are now 123,000 homeless people in the UK, a 26% increase in 4 years. Homelessness in London increased by 75% in that time... and of course many of them end up here.

Where do you get these numbers from, the figures I found were 61970 homeless and in temporary accommodation and 2774 living rough.

Juror#13

Banned
Jan 14, 2015
Maybe homeless people should be able to jump the housing queue before immigrants. Look at the explosion in roma gypsies in Yorkshire who have first dips on housing. 750 family's have been given houses and none work. Tension is rising between them and the Pakistani locals as these familys have between 4 and 12 family me members. Family includes mum and dad, children, ganddad and grandma etc.

Ludensian Gull

Apr 18, 2009
Thorpness Suffolk

According to IDS on Sun homelessness has fallen since the tories have been in power and we are all so better off, the bloke is a :wanker:

Juror#13

Banned
Jan 14, 2015
Don't know why they all don't go out and commit crimes, go to prison then on release they'll have somewhere to stay. 1994 I went to prison for 3 years and had nowhere to live when I came out and said keep my cell warm and they found me accommodation. Nice room and used it as a base and got a job then in 98 bought a flat and haven't looked back till this thread.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here