Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dvla licence change

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
It's great news Isn't it? Means you don't have to carry around / remember where you've kept a piece of paper and they can't charge you for losing It(quite a bit of lost revenue for them I should think?)

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
It's great news Isn't it? Means you don't have to carry around / remember where you've kept a piece of paper and they can't charge you for losing It(quite a bit of lost revenue for them I should think?)

I never use to carry either bit around. Real pain in the arse if you lose them. Just like a passport they stay locked away until needed.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
What's the point of the paper part ? Nothing .... that's why they are getting rid of it.

The point of the paper part of the photocard licence was to record any motoring convictions. It also could be used as proof of address. The removal of the paper part was part of the Governments red tape challenge and the desire to make more use of electronic data.

It also means that those who thought by not appearing in Court they still had a licence without any convictions are no longer able to produce a licence without recorded convictions given that the detail will be available to be accessed via the DVLA portal.

The fact that online checking of licences will be possible means that fraudulent use of superseded paper counterparts will no longer be possible. A great step forward for those of us who have to check driving licences.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Does this mean any endorsements will automatically be removed?

Penalty points (endorsements)
From 8 June 2015 new penalty points (endorsements) will not be added to driving licences. From this date, if you commit an offence you will still have to pay any applicable fine and submit your licence to the court but the way the court deals with the paperwork will change.

For photocard licences, the court will retain the paper counterpart and only return the photocard to you.

For paper licences, the court will return it to you but they won’t have written or printed the offence details on it.

This means that from 8 June 2015 neither the photocard nor the paper licence will provide an accurate account of any driving endorsements you may have. Instead, this information will be held on DVLA’s driver record, and can be checked online, by phone or post.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
The fact that online checking of licences will be possible means that fraudulent use of superseded paper counterparts will no longer be possible. A great step forward for those of us who have to check driving licences.

Will be interesting to see if they charge for this service. As a driving instructor, you need to know if a pupil has any convictions. Think the driver is going to have the right to check their licence (but then they would already know!).

These changes might make it easier to notify changes of details such as address.

We wait and see!

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
Will be interesting to see if they charge for this service. As a driving instructor, you need to know if a pupil has any convictions. Think the driver is going to have the right to check their licence (but then they would already know!).

These changes might make it easier to notify changes of details such as address.

We wait and see!
No charge. You can check your own online now.
Although it's £5 if you do it by post (Barber OUT)

If you rely on the counterpart to check the driving record of customers or employees then the free online Share Driving Licence service will be available before the counterpart is abolished.

Last edited:

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Does make you wonder why they haven't had a program to get everyone issued with and photo card who currently has a licence. Would certainly help Police identify whether the person who presents a licence is the one who is the actual holder!

RM-Taylor

He's Magic.... You Know
Jan 7, 2006
After checking online, my disqualification endorsement comes off in November this year, rather than Jan 2017 which I previously thought punk:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Yes, still keeping my green paper one. Hallelujah!

My brother in law and wife have resisted getting a photo one because they objected to paying for something that wasnt necessary. Why not just discard the paper ones and give a free photo one on production of the paper one and photo to those people and then shred their paper one.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
No charge. You can check your own online now.
Although it's £5 if you do it by post (Barber OUT)

If you rely on the counterpart to check the driving record of customers or employees then the free online Share Driving Licence service will be available before the counterpart is abolished.
:lol:

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
My brother in law and wife have resisted getting a photo one because they objected to paying for something that wasnt necessary. Why not just discard the paper ones and give a free photo one on production of the paper one and photo to those people and then shred their paper one.

Well assuming you won't move house then you don't need to change, assuming you have advised DVLA when you have moved in the past.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
After checking online, my disqualification endorsement comes off in November this year, rather than Jan 2017 which I previously thought punk:

Your 27 points will still have to be declared for insurance purposes whenever the premium drops to a level you can afford (Aug 2040 ?) :wink:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I paid for mine in 1967 and I'm bl**dy keeping it!

The con of the new photo ones is that they are not valid for as long and you have to keep renewing them (and paying each time).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here