Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Newcastle United and a £19 million profit.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Rumour has that they will be spending another £2M in compensation to Derby for McLaren in the Summer.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Mike Ashley is probably the most unfairly treated person in football. Newcastle us fast becoming a sustainable model for a top flight football club.

From a fans point of view, they have looked a bit of a basket case for the last few years since Kevin Keegan resigned. Joe Kinnear providing much of the evidence for this.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I 100% agree that clubs should for the most part be self sufficient; however, Newcastle United exists solely because and for the Newcastle fans. They don't see those profits dripping into their own pockets. Nor do they see the profits of Sports Direct dripping into their pockets.

I tried to put the argument of profitability to a friend of mine who is a Newcastle fan. He is a lawyer so is fairly savay when it comes to how ''Capitalism'' works and he countered my argument by saying. ''Newcastle fans don't care about those profits because they never see any of that money. He continued, what Newcastle fans want is to eventually win something or maybe a trip to Wembley for a cup final. Although what they want most of all is to consistently beat Sunderland and that is why Chris Hughton is so endeared by Newcastle fans' He won the Championship for them and gave them something to cheer. And he beat Sunderland 5-1 when he was in charge.

For me looking at it from the outside it looks like Ashley is managing the club well financially but to the fans, he seems to be taking without giving anything back that is tangible to them and because of that I personally was able to see where the Newcastle fans were coming from.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I 100% agree that clubs should for the most part be self sufficient; however, Newcastle United exists solely because and for the Newcastle fans. They don't see those profits dripping into their own pockets. Nor do they see the profits of Sports Direct dripping into their pockets.

I tried to put the argument of profitability to a friend of mine who is a Newcastle fan. He is a lawyer so is fairly savay when it comes to how ''Capitalism'' works and he countered my argument by saying. ''Newcastle fans don't care about those profits because they never see any of that money. He continued, what Newcastle fans want is to eventually win something or maybe a trip to Wembley for a cup final. Although what they want most of all is to consistently beat Sunderland and that is why Chris Hughton is so endeared by Newcastle fans' He won the Championship for them and gave them something to cheer. And he beat Sunderland 5-1 when he was in charge.

For me looking at it from the outside it looks like Ashley is managing the club well financially but to the fans, he seems to be taking without giving anything back that is tangible to them and because of that I personally was able to see where the Newcastle fans were coming from.

What he is giving back to them is their club continuing to function at Premier League level. What he is giving to them is a club which can sustain itself at the top level without the need for someone to pump in large amounts of money to bail them out time and again, when they've overspent in the transfer market to achieve mediocrity. Whatever the history of the club or what the Newcastle fans think they're entitled to, the club has to be run properly to exist, full stop. Would the fans rather a Portsmouth style boom or bust approach? Or would they prefer that the club is run at a profit to sustain its longer term viability and ultimately be in a position to be more competitive in the league. Given the time, Mike Ashley could transform the club into a Manchester City, without the need to splurge so much of his own cash and flout every code of ethics in the game doing it. They have the fanbase, no question, but they don't currently have the infrastructure to compete at the top level. Maybe what Ashley is doing at the moment is setting the groundwork for the club to, eventually, start to dominate the English game.

I see about one Newcastle game per season at St James' (last season was the 1-0 thrashing of Palace), and always enjoy a debate with their fans about expectations, the job done by Ashley and the merits of being boring in midtable whilst growing the infrastructure of the club versus spending money you don't have and to hell with the consequences.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
What he is giving back to them is their club continuing to function at Premier League level. What he is giving to them is a club which can sustain itself at the top level without the need for someone to pump in large amounts of money to bail them out time and again, when they've overspent in the transfer market to achieve mediocrity. Whatever the history of the club or what the Newcastle fans think they're entitled to, the club has to be run properly to exist, full stop. Would the fans rather a Portsmouth style boom or bust approach? Or would they prefer that the club is run at a profit to sustain its longer term viability and ultimately be in a position to be more competitive in the league. Given the time, Mike Ashley could transform the club into a Manchester City, without the need to splurge so much of his own cash and flout every code of ethics in the game doing it. They have the fanbase, no question, but they don't currently have the infrastructure to compete at the top level. Maybe what Ashley is doing at the moment is setting the groundwork for the club to, eventually, start to dominate the English game.

I see about one Newcastle game per season at St James' (last season was the 1-0 thrashing of Palace), and always enjoy a debate with their fans about expectations, the job done by Ashley and the merits of being boring in midtable whilst growing the infrastructure of the club versus spending money you don't have and to hell with the consequences.

He is building a profitable business which he can in the coming years sell at a profit for himself. In the interim the people are getting very little. I am not against clubs being run well but Mike Ashley cares about no one except himself and all his drinking buddies. If your his mate he is a great guy. If you are not then he is an ********. What he did to CH at Newcastle was so distasteful it makes me absolutely sick

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here