Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

John Barnes

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Just been on 5 Live publicising his life story on ITV. Blames his colour for getting the sack. Host said "some would say it was because you were no good" to which John Barnes replied that if he was white he would have been given more time. He did well at Jamaica but at Tranmere he was sacked by the club six days after a 5–0 defeat at Millwall and a run of just two wins from eleven league games.
No doubting his footballing talent though.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Utterly ridiculous statement. If the problem was his colour, then he wouldn’t have been given those jobs in the first place would he. His teams performed poorly so he was binned off, simple as that. Same as anyone else could expect to be if they were getting similarly poor results, regardless of creed or nationality.

Poor form playing the race card as an excuse. Just stick to media and sharp suits Barnsey.

crabface

Mar 24, 2012
Not John Barnes jumping on that bandwagon as well, we have to hear about it enough from Jason Roberts. As the chap on the radio suggests he is just not a good manager and his record shows that.

atfc village

Mar 28, 2013
Lower Bourne .Farnham
Regardless of Barnes' ability, or lack thereof, you can't deny that 6/92 non-White FL & PL managers is a massive disproportion. It's not necessarily the result of a glass ceiling but it certainly bears questioning.
That is a fair amount if you go on the% of non whites in the uk.

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
Think he needs to apply for one of these.

image.jpg

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now
Regardless of Barnes' ability, or lack thereof, you can't deny that 6/92 non-White FL & PL managers is a massive disproportion. It's not necessarily the result of a glass ceiling but it certainly bears questioning.

Are any of the groups that are complaining about the lack of non white managers in English football also complaining about the lack of non white managers/coaches in Rugby or Cricket? This is a genuine question and not a fishing attempt.

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
Are any of the groups that are complaining about the lack of non white managers in English football also complaining about the lack of non white managers/coaches in Rugby or Cricket? This is a genuine question and not a fishing attempt.

And swimmers

Aug 23, 2011

But isn't the number of black managers with coaching qualifications only around 6% so therefore 6% of clubs having a black manager is about right. Now why more aren't doing the qualifications is a better question.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Barnes is not the only black manager to say that his skin colour has hindered his career. It's difficult to really know what goes on in the wood panelled boardrooms of football clubs, maybe there is a sort of institutionalised racism operating within them. We all know it can be a pretty grubby business at times. I've always assumed that sackings and lack of opportunity were down to talent alone, perhaps I'm being naive.

Last edited:

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Says a lot that he's a better rapper than he was football manager!

Very poor form playing the race card, the facts speak for themselves. Bleating "It's coz I'm Black" does his cause no favours what-so-ever.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
Keith Curle said the same, nothing to do with the numerous relegation's and the falling outs?

And Paul Ince on numerous occasions. Nothing to do with the fact he was shite everywhere he went, physically and verbally assaulted a lino in the tunnel or the fact he is a massive prick, it's all because he's black that he doesn't get jobs.

Titus Bramble & Kieron Dyer put it well a few months ago:

“At the moment, I think the Rooney Rule is a disgrace,” says Bramble, who is coaching the Ipswich Under-11s. “I think it’s disgraceful that someone might be shortlisted for the job just because of their skin colour. You could say it’s just as bad being given a job because of your skin colour as it is not being given a job.

“My skin colour certainly wasn’t a problem for Ipswich at any stage, either as a player or a coach. I think they have employed me because of what I’ve achieved in my career as a player.”

“I want to be interviewed because the chairman wants to interview me,” Dyer says. “I don’t want to be interviewed because it’s filling a quota. I don’t want to be on a shortlist because football clubs are told I have to be because I’m black. I don’t agree with the Rooney Rule either. That’s me personally, it doesn’t mean it hasn’t worked in America, but I don’t like the idea here. I don’t want to sit down with a chief executive or a chairman and think I’m only here because I have to be.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...-Dyer-and-Titus-Bramble-slam-Rooney-Rule.html

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Echoes of Sol Campbell and his "I should have been captain of England more often" bleatings. Seems to be the first excuse some people reach for when their careers don't pan out as they think they should have.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here