Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The political apathy thread - with added poll

Does anyone actually believe their life will be noticeably different AFTER the election

• I'm sure my life will improve if my lot get in.

Votes: 12 16.9%
  • I'm sure my life will be worse if they get in.

Votes: 7 9.9%
  • Meh - same old same old, nothing will change.

Votes: 52 73.2%

• Total voters

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I appreciate the way we are set up politically, 5 years isn't really long enough to be voted in, make changes and have those changes effect the bulk of the electorate.
Especially as the main parties are both fighting over the middle ground.

This in turn makes me wonder if anyone actually believe their life will be noticeably different, at some point within the next 5 years, AFTER the general election, irrespective of the outcome.

Last edited:

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2007
Toronto
My life may well change, but it will have f*** all to do with the result of the election.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I do hope that someone develops a setting on DAB in the next day or so, that when someone mentions the general election it automatically changes channels.

I can't believe people have forgotten just how bad it was when this current mob took over from the corrupt thieving last mob.

One thing that perhaps someone can answer....the red lot say that although more people are in work that have ever been, they are not earning enough so that needs to be addressed. So what are they going to do? Are they going to force companies to give people pay rises?

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I do hope that someone develops a setting on DAB in the next day or so, that when someone mentions the general election it automatically changes channels.
That's the kind of apathy this thread is celebrating.

I can't believe people have forgotten just how bad it was when this current mob took over from the corrupt thieving last mob.

One thing that perhaps someone can answer....the red lot say that although more people are in work that have ever been, they are not earning enough so that needs to be addressed. So what are they going to do? Are they going to force companies to give people pay rises?
Although I'm not so sure about this, that can be answered elsewhere.

The best I can give is a :shrug:

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Once again they will lie and propagandise to get elected - and once they do, nothing will change, the same problems will perpetuate.

Modern politicians are experts at telling the public what they need to hear to win their votes, reinforced by the immense influence of the mainstream media. It's party politics, it's all a rigged game, an illusion of democracy - the vast majority of MP's don't represent us, they represent themselves or the interests of the wealthy elites that they serve.

This form of democracy is now centuries old, it is archaic, it desperately needs modernising. Wouldn't it be marvellous for our votes to actually matter, to have an actual say in how our country was run, how our tax money was spent, or on the political decisions that shape our lives & futures.

What a load of utter childish cock!

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Modern politicians are experts at telling the public what they need to hear to win their votes, reinforced by the immense influence of the mainstream media. It's party politics, it's all a rigged game, an illusion of democracy - the vast majority of MP's don't represent us, they represent themselves or the interests of the wealthy elites that they serve.

What annoys me more than anything else is the fact that they can't answer questions. The amount of times you see an interview with a politician when they are asked a question with a yes/no answer and they just go off on a tangent and start talking about something else to promote their policy. It makes me want to THROW things at the TV. I'd be far more likely to vote for someone who answers the questions they are actually asked. Even if I don't always agree with the answers they give, I'd be much more likely to trust them.

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
I'm really looking forward to the election in much the same way as I look forward to a World Cup or European Championship without England. It's going to be interesting seeing the results come in and I've got my own personal little list of side bets of "individual results I'd like to see", but ultimately I don't have a team in it. And I'm bored with the build-up already.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
What annoys me more than anything else is the fact that they can't answer questions. The amount of times you see an interview with a politician when they are asked a question with a yes/no answer and they just go off on a tangent and start talking about something else to promote their policy. It makes me want to THROW things at the TV. I'd be far more likely to vote for someone who answers the questions they are actually asked. Even if I don't always agree with the answers they give, I'd be much more likely to trust them.

But that is the " skill" of a politician. They are not interested in answering the question asked as they have a agenda they work to calculated by the party activists and do not vary from that. This is seen week in week out on panel shows like question time etc.

The issue I have with a " opposition" type mentality is that you nev hear them say.." ..actually that is a damn good idea..." When the other party suggest a policy etc. It's the attitude that everything the opposition do is wrong no matter what.

i think that is what turns people off politics.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2007
Toronto
But that is the " skill" of a politician. They are not interested in answering the question asked as they have a agenda they work to calculated by the party activists and do not vary from that. This is seen week in week out on panel shows like question time etc.

The issue I have with a " opposition" type mentality is that you nev hear them say.." ..actually that is a damn good idea..." When the other party suggest a policy etc. It's the attitude that everything the opposition do is wrong no matter what.

i think that is what turns people off politics.

I don't see it as a "skill" though, we can all talk about something completely different if we are asked a question. I find it very rude to ignore a question which has been asked to you, the skill would be to give an answer to the question which still fits in with your party line.

I have to agree about the opposition mentality though, it's kids in a school playground. Also, too much time is wasted BLAMING the other party for what has happened in the PAST, I simply don't care, the future is what I'm concerned about.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
What annoys me more than anything else is the fact that they can't answer questions.
I'll sometimes let them off this. Sometimes, it's an impossible question to answer, or a vote loser for them to be honest. Other times they can be stitched up by journalists who omit the context in which a question is answered. So whilst you might respect politicians for answering properly, that's not what most people will see. Most people aren't staying up to watch a patsy being given a torrid time by Paxman on Newsnight - they'll read what was said later in the newspaper. And I know I'm in a minority, but I'd far rather trust a UK politician than an unaccountable journalist whose job it appears to be to stitch them up.

My major turn-off is negative campaigning. I'm really, REALLY tired of Labour trotting out the "the NHS isn't SAFE under the Tories" line. It's clearly bollocks and is getting in the way of an open debate about how to deal with a serious problem we have - a spiralling cost increase thanks to a) now treating modern health issues, and b) shocking waste. Equally, and in the interests of balance, the constant references to "a vote for X is a vote for Labour" or "Labour spending MADNESS" that we see under the Tories. Again, total bollocks that unfortunately appears to have worked on too many wavering voters, IMO.

In the best interests of the country, I'd love to see the major parties get together and agree some guidelines in an attempt to avoid negative campaigning.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley

Nigel Farage is pretty direct in his answers, has he got your vote?

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I'll sometimes let them off this. Sometimes, it's an impossible question to answer, or a vote loser for them to be honest. Other times they can be stitched up by journalists who omit the context in which a question is answered. So whilst you might respect politicians for answering properly, that's not what most people will see. Most people aren't staying up to watch a patsy being given a torrid time by Paxman on Newsnight - they'll read what was said later in the newspaper. And I know I'm in a minority, but I'd far rather trust a UK politician than an unaccountable journalist whose job it appears to be to stitch them up.

Yes there are times when the journalist is on a mission to back them into a corner but I'm talking about the "easy" interviews on BBC Breakfast, local news etc. where a lot of the time they are just being asked about simple FACTS. Newsnight is obviously a different ballgame where they come under intense fire and have to avoid digging themselves a hole.

My major turn-off is negative campaigning. I'm really, REALLY tired of Labour trotting out the "the NHS isn't SAFE under the Tories" line. It's clearly bollocks and is getting in the way of an open debate about how to deal with a serious problem we have - a spiralling cost increase thanks to a) now treating modern health issues, and b) shocking waste. Equally, and in the interests of balance, the constant references to "a vote for X is a vote for Labour" or "Labour spending MADNESS" that we see under the Tories. Again, total bollocks that unfortunately appears to have worked on too many wavering voters, IMO.

In the best interests of the country, I'd love to see the major parties get together and agree some guidelines in an attempt to avoid negative campaigning.

It's silly isn't it? Politicians are intelligent people (may be up for debate in some cases) and they must understand that they are going to share some of the same ideas and come across exactly the same issues.

Nigel Farage is pretty direct in his answers, has he got your vote?

No, because I RARELY agree with his answers.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
What [MENTION=6625]Badger[/MENTION] said. My life will change, but that's largely to do with moving house, not who is in power.

I can't really contain my indifference about politics, and I won't be voting. However, what I do see of it seems to be more about one party dissing the opposition, as opposed to promoting what they are all about.

When's it over?

Domsdad

brother of Patch
Sep 24, 2003
Its grim up north
My great grandfather didn't march from Jarrow so that I could be apathetic.
And my great grandmother didn't throw herself under a racehorse so that my wife could be apathetic.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here