Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Walking Football?

Fungus

NSC Patreon
May 21, 2004
Truro
Any of the older posters on here involved in "walking football"?

There's moves to set up a new group down here in Cornwall, but I was having a quick Google and found this - http://www.walkingfootballunited.co.uk/. Good to see an Albion In The Community video on the home-page.

Does it get competitive? And how do you stop people running? TBH, I'm hoping it will be more of a social thing!

Screaming J

He'll put a spell on you
Jul 13, 2004
Exiled from the South Country
Been playing for about 5 months. Always had a ref so the running thing doesn't really become a problem.

And yes, it can get competitive. Up here in the NW they are now running monthly tournaments at the Etihad on a Friday morning!

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
I was still playing five-a-side 'proper' football up until about 18 months ago. Still haven't given up hope of doing it again (I'm now 57) so I don't want to join the over-80s yet.

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
I think it's a splendid idea. A lot of retired folk could get real pleasure from it.

I'll put it to the ESU Zimmer Crew at our next lunch club.

Fungus

NSC Patreon
May 21, 2004
Truro
I was still playing five-a-side 'proper' football up until about 18 months ago. Still haven't given up hope of doing it again (I'm now 57) so I don't want to join the over-80s yet.

Yeah, I'm 57 too. Having retired early, I find that everyone I mix with is older than me, including my walking groups (we do up to 10 miles, so they're in pretty good shape). But I am hoping to find a (slightly) younger bunch if this comes off.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I went to my first session of walking football Thursday and really enjoyed it but couldnt believe how bad I was having not kicked a ball for over 40+ years I knew what I wanted to do but body wouldnt do it. Finished u playing a few minutes and falling over hurting my knee but it hasnt deterred me I shall be back next week. This was a session organised in conjunction with AITC and Sussex Well Being.

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
I had a couple of games two years ago but did my hamstring so had to stop. Very difficult to stop running as that's how you get a bit of space ! Completely different set of skills required

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

Yeah, I'd love to play 5-a-side but I couldn't mix with 20 or 30 somethings. I wish there were opportunities for over 40s and 50s to play too. Walking football sounds a bit tame for me. What I'd really like to do is play some vets rugby but no local teams have a vets side, so I've given up on that.

It is rather sad that there are so few sporting opportunities for those of, er, more mature years.

HantsSeagull

Aug 17, 2011
Caught in a Riptide
Yeah, I'd love to play 5-a-side but I couldn't mix with 20 or 30 somethings. I wish there were opportunities for over 40s and 50s to play too. Walking football sounds a bit tame for me. What I'd really like to do is play some vets rugby but no local teams have a vets side, so I've given up on that.

It is rather sad that there are so few sporting opportunities for those of, er, more mature years.

agree with this. would like to do some over 50s 5 a side.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patreon
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I went to my first session of walking football Thursday and really enjoyed it but couldnt believe how bad I was having not kicked a ball for over 40+ years I knew what I wanted to do but body wouldnt do it. Finished u playing a few minutes and falling over hurting my knee but it hasnt deterred me I shall be back next week. This was a session organised in conjunction with AITC and Sussex Well Being.

Did you play left back? :)

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014

I thought Hove had a vets team.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003
After years of playing lots of squash, saturday and sunday football, veterans, had an operation on my knee at 50 which meant I'm not allowed to run. Sat and sulked for 5 years doing nothing, and then started walking football about a year ago wearing a bloody great knee support. Great fun, seriously knackering (there's a couple of late 20's where i play and they find it knackering as well). 15 minutes at a time, indoors, no out of bounds, constant football.

Only difference is you have to pass to feet and move as you can't knock the ball long and chase after it. (Thinking about it, i was probably playing walking football for the last 15 years). Like most things in life, don't knock it till you've tried it !

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Would love to get involved in this. I'm only 51 but with asthma and a dodgy left knee, 5 a side is a thing of the past sadly. Being overweight and seriously unfit probably doesn't help much either :lolol:

Last edited:

Fungus

NSC Patreon
May 21, 2004
Truro

Sounds just like one of our sessions! It gets better, though I still have clumsy weeks. Great fun, a good bunch of lads, and a sweaty workout. What more could you want?

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Left back ?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Like most things in life, don't knock it till you've tried it !

As the saying goes: try everything once - except incest and folk dancing

I thought Hove had a vets team.

They did have but it seems to have died a death. I didn't get any reply from the contact there and I note there are no fixtures on the site. My daughter has just started playing at Hove so I'll ask around

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here