Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Simply,the lower leagues don't matter ?

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Almost a full programme in Leagues One and Two, AKA also known as Division Three and Four :facepalm: However our World Wide Broadcaster, which is highly respected (?) deems it unfit to record and show today's 'best bit's from Lge1 & 2 plus The Conference. Nice to know what you pay your T/V licence fee for.:censored:

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
No, I think the OP has a point. The BBC consistently overlook the football league, and instead are way more interested in women's football or bloody Spanish football (well, anything involving Barcelona or Real). It plays to the lowest common denominator, the armchair fan who wants to be "entertained". You really do have to dig around in the bbc website to get any championship info, unless you specifically bookmark it. It's not right, but what can you do?

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Almost a full programme in Leagues One and Two, AKA also known as Division Three and Four :facepalm: However our World Wide Broadcaster, which is highly respected (?) deems it unfit to record and show today's 'best bit's from Lge1 & 2 plus The Conference. Nice to know what you pay your T/V licence fee for.:censored:

Soaps, costume dramas, repeats...

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
In the absence of MoTD, they missed the opportunity to produce a really great Football League show. The Beeb could have pulled out all the stops to fill the gap. Instead, they cancelled the show altogether. I had actually been looking forward to a lower league special, and, like the OP, was surprised and disappointed to see a blank tv schedule. I heard someone on a radio phone-in saying the BBC wanted to sack Clarkson and get rid of Top Gear because it's audience is predominantly white male and not inclusive enough. Probably not why FL show was cancelled this weekend, but...

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
In the absence of MoTD, they missed the opportunity to produce a really great Football League show. The Beeb could have pulled out all the stops to fill the gap. Instead, they cancelled the show altogether. I had actually been looking forward to a lower league special, and, like the OP, was surprised and disappointed to see a blank tv schedule. I heard someone on a radio phone-in saying the BBC wanted to sack Clarkson and get rid of Top Gear because it's audience is predominantly white male and not inclusive enough. Probably not why FL show was cancelled this weekend, but...

They sacked him he physically and verbally attacked a member of staff

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patreon
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Would the anger be better aimed at Sky? BBC has an option to do highlights but sky can show matches.

Why wasn't there at least two games yesterday and Friday on sky?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Would the anger be better aimed at Sky? BBC has an option to do highlights but sky can show matches.

And yet every time a kick off gets moved for the telly - even by a couple of hours - you can't move for moaning and gnashing of teeth. Just for once the fans got a range of Saturday 3pm kickoffs. If you want to see lower or non league football then go to a game. It's not like you'll be missing one of ours this weekend.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Think Channel 5 should have a punt on it. It would probably pull in bigger audiences than they normally get. The BBC just take everything for granted.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013

I am sure you are right and it is not just the TV that is at fault. If you look at newspaper coverage, the football pages will be 90/95% Premier League. Of course, this league does attract interest and is rightly given emphasis, but the scale of that emphasis is over the top. There might be a report on a Championship game, but then only if the club involved is a "name" . . Am I right when I write that more fans watch football that is not Premier League live?

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Potentially millions of people would consider lower league football as a waste of airtime. It probably doesn't get great ratings either.

+ Mu were not playing
our sky sports is half price at the moment, but as soon as it goes to full price ITS DOWN THE GURGLER:)

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
No, I think the OP has a point. The BBC consistently overlook the football league, and instead are way more interested in women's football or bloody Spanish football (well, anything involving Barcelona or Real). It plays to the lowest common denominator, the armchair fan who wants to be "entertained". You really do have to dig around in the bbc website to get any championship info, unless you specifically bookmark it. It's not right, but what can you do?

Get in the Premier League ?

You are, of course, right.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Potentially millions of people would consider lower league football as a waste of airtime. It probably doesn't get great ratings either.

The BBC puts out hundreds of programmes that millions of people don't watch - as do all the other TV stations. Most people in tis country, for instance, don't watch Corrie or East-enders. A Football League show might only be a minority interest (as is Match of the Day), but the BBC is a public service; it should have taken the opportunity to provide a service for this particular group.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

BBC are usually falling over themselves to broadcast sport on the cheap e.g. their patronising coverage of the early rounds of 'The Magic Of The FA Cup'. A bit odd they chose not to broadcast the Football League show this time around. Sort of admission by the Beeb that the Football League show is just hanging on the coat-tails of MOTD and is not worthy of transmission in its own right.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

Lots of idiots ring the BBC but that doesn't make what they say intelligent. Even less so the fools that believe them.

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003

Sky showed Fleetwood v Preston as a replacement for its usual Super Sunday.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
The BBC even had the Stevie G testimonial game as one of the main stories on their sport website yesterday.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
They sacked him he physically and verbally attacked a member of staff

Technically speaking they didn't. His contract was up in the next few months and they came out and said they were not renewing it. They also took the decision to cancel the rest of the series. I suppose to James May and Hammond, it would have been untenable to continue without the "star" of the show.

Still, get jody Kidd, Nigel mansell and nick knowles as the presenters and it will be ok!

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here