Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Buying a second hand car circa 5k - advice?

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Hi my girlfriend is needing to buy a car, she has approximately £5,000 to spend, ideally less. So far she has narrowed the options down so that it must be/have:

* 5 door hatchback (small/medium size)
* Less than 120 gCO2
* Ideally low mileage
* Not more than 10 years/100,000 miles

Any advice or ideas, ideally something close to Brighton so it's easy to pick up.

Thanks

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Nissen always go for reliability

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
She'll get a Hyundai i20 for under that budget, possibly still under manufacturers warranty (5yrs). It's a small, 5 door hatchback and offers fantastic economy, if you get a diesel you can get 70-80mpg. They tend to come with Bluetooth compatibility, iPod connectivity, air con etc.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
She'll get a Hyundai i20 for under that budget, possibly still under manufacturers warranty (5yrs). It's a small, 5 door hatchback and offers fantastic economy, if you get a diesel you can get 70-80mpg. They tend to come with Bluetooth compatibility, iPod connectivity, air con etc.

Cheers that's useful information!

stevie17

Banned
Oct 29, 2014
Hertfordshire
Hi my girlfriend is needing to buy a car, she has approximately £5,000 to spend, ideally less. So far she has narrowed the options down so that it must be/have:

* 5 door hatchback (small/medium size)
* Less than 120 gCO2
* Ideally low mileage
* Not more than 10 years/100,000 miles

Any advice or ideas, ideally something close to Brighton so it's easy to pick up.

Thanks

*Go for something like a Vauxhall Astra 5 door its a safe-bet.(easy to get parts,not too expensive,reliable)

*Try and get a car thats 5 6 or 7 years old,and also get one ideally with less than 60k 65k mileage wise.

*Also if the mileage is higher than 45k but less than 70k make sure the cam belt is replaced at 73k/74k miles.(mine snapped once at mid 70k it can lead to an expensive repair bill)

*Ideally avoid buying a blue car,they are most prone to breakdowns,although a light/sky blue colour is less likely to default.Silver,Red,and Grey colured cars are always a good choice colour-wise.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Just make sure it's Japanese. If you can get a Yaris then do. Far cheaper to run in the long run, in terms of repair bills!

Janbha

Dec 5, 2008
Hove
Just look at ex disability cars , well looked after in general , these will be around 3 to 4 years old so you may have to go a little higher pricewise but well worth it .

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Thought you might reccomend a Yaris, yours does keep going though!

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patreon
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
*Go for something like a Vauxhall Astra 5 door its a safe-bet.(easy to get parts,not too expensive,reliable)

*Try and get a car thats 5 6 or 7 years old,and also get one ideally with less than 60k 65k mileage wise.

*Also if the mileage is higher than 45k but less than 70k make sure the cam belt is replaced at 73k/74k miles.(mine snapped once at mid 70k it can lead to an expensive repair bill)

*Ideally avoid buying a blue car,they are most prone to breakdowns,although a light/sky blue colour is less likely to default.Silver,Red,and Grey colured cars are always a good choice colour-wise.
Your last point is interesting

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Perhaps consider leasing, my Son has just leased a nice sporty Fiesta about £650.00 down and £115.00 per month, 10 000 miles, brand new, no tax, no MOT's and very economical.

2 Years £3410.00 minus your likely costs on a used car 2 MOTS maybe and 2 Car Tax's and always a risk of unforseen repairs.

Its worth a look and I know some baulk at the idea of leasing but if you research it you can end up with a great car with little fuss.

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
This is a very conveniently timed thread.

OP, I'm looking to sell my 2013 reg Peugeot 107 in the next month or so. 7,500 miles on the clock, excellent condition, 5-doors, black. PM me if you're interested.

Poke [MENTION=16399]pb21[/MENTION]

Edit: sorry, I should add that I am being entirely serious with this offer.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
Second a recomendation for Hyundai. I got a 57 plate Hyundai I30 1.6 diesel around 2 years ago. 120k miles , Car is top of the range spec, all the above + heated seats, cruise control etc and was £4K. I still get around 50-60 mpg combined and am close to 150k miles now. All I have ever had to spend on the car is new front tyres.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
This is a very conveniently timed thread.

OP, I'm looking to sell my 2013 reg Peugeot 107 in the next month or so. 7,500 miles on the clock, excellent condition, 5-doors, black. PM me if you're interested.

Poke [MENTION=16399]pb21[/MENTION]

Edit: sorry, I should add that I am being entirely serious with this offer.
I've had just three cars in the last 20 years, all Peugeot. Very reliable, comfortable and a doddle for any standard of driver. I'd have a look at this offer.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here