Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Thread for golfers amongst you.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I am playing in a club competition tomorrow and it is in the format of 3 plus a putter, stableford, full handicap.

So I am thinking of taking a rescue hybrid, a seven iron and a pitching wedge.

What would you chose?..I know people are not bothering with any sort of driver, rather taking a 4 iron, 8 iron and a sand wedge.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Depends on the course surely?

Many long holes? I would def take a hybrid and a short iron (prob a 6) and a sand wedge.

It's brighton ands hove. I am a member there.

Although if the wind blows, add 100 yards on to the holes into the wind!

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
I am playing in a club competition tomorrow and it is in the format of 3 plus a putter, stableford, full handicap.

So I am thinking of taking a rescue hybrid, a seven iron and a pitching wedge.

What would you chose?..I know people are not bothering with any sort of driver, rather taking a 4 iron, 8 iron and a sand wedge.

This is exactly what I would use, however I ended up wishishing I had taken my 9 iron instead of my Pitching wedge as I often use a 9 Iron for some bump and run approch play.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
This is exactly what I would use, however I ended up wishishing I had taken my 9 iron instead of my Pitching wedge as I often use a 9 Iron for some bump and run approch play.

Can you get a shallow enough grip in the bunkers with a 9?

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
Depends on the course surely?

Many long holes? I would def take a hybrid and a short iron (prob a 6) and a sand wedge.

3wood, 6 iron and sand iron.

I have just bought a Taylormade SLDR fairway wood and it is an absolute cawker. Doubles up as a drive and fairway/recovery wood.

Enjoy your round, I will be nine holing after work next week to get the cobwebs off.

Golf, what a great great game....especially here in the West of Scotland......

TNBA

TTF

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
It's brighton ands hove. I am a member there.

Although if the wind blows, add 100 yards on to the holes into the wind!

Have never played B&H. The 211 Par 3 - does it have a long carry over rubbish? If so, take the club you would normally hit on that one. If not, does not really matter. If it is windy, I would take a 3 iron, 8 iron and Sand Wedge and, as Tom Watson always says, "swing with ease into a breeze". You can de-loft the sand wedge to make it go a bit further, just don't hit it left:)

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Or take off that shorty down the hill, making it 48!?

I'd take a 3,6 & 9

The wind was howling last week and I took a six iron off the t on the drop hole and the bloke I was playing with took a five wood, I was short on the edge of the green and he was off to the left!

Last night, I took a pitching wedge is it was blowing the other direction and I was on the back of the green...bugger of a hole

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Have never played B&H. The 211 Par 3 - does it have a long carry over rubbish? If so, take the club you would normally hit on that one. If not, does not really matter. If it is windy, I would take a 3 iron, 8 iron and Sand Wedge and, as Tom Watson always says, "swing with ease into a breeze". You can de-loft the sand wedge to make it go a bit further, just don't hit it left:)

Not a long carry but it is very narrow down the middle with trees to the right and bush to the left ( and deer and pheasants! ) most people seem to take a driver on this hole! I tend to take a 5 wood and end up short!

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
3 Hybrid, 5 Iron PW .... plus putter

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
3 Wood
5 iron
PW

Can tee a 3 wood up if you need to lose distance off the tee. Likewise hands down the 5 iron to reduce distance and you can play pitch and run with a 5 (unless its bone hard already). Closed face on the wedge if you are inbetween.

I know the classic is to take a 7 iron but it leaves too much distance between the 1st and 2nd club for me especially looking at those hole distances

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
3 Wood
5 iron
PW

Can tee a 3 wood up if you need to lose distance off the tee. Likewise hands down the 5 iron to reduce distance and you can play pitch and run with a 5 (unless its bone hard already). Closed face on the wedge if you are inbetween.

I know the classic is to take a 7 iron but it leaves too much distance between the 1st and 2nd club for me especially looking at those hole distances

Depends how well you hit your irons. I hit my 7 iron true 90% of the time 5 iron 60% at best. Would rather play safe with a 7.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here