Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Anyone doing DD on their tax discs?

• Thread starter Deleted member 22389
  • Start date

D

Deleted member 22389

Still find it strange driving without a tax disc. I just signed up to Monthly Direct Debit, better for my finances, and it's very easy to do. Anyone else on DD for road tax now

Igzilla

Sep 27, 2012
Worthing
I am, always dreaded the hit of £150 - £200 in one go, so DD much easier to manage.

D

Deleted member 22389

I am, always dreaded the hit of £150 - £200 in one go, so DD much easier to manage.

I used to do 6 months because that's all I could reastically afford, it used to annoy me. Used to do it over the counter at the PO, and the amount of hassle I used to get trampling back and forward with Insurance notices and all the other paper work due to the fact my insurance and mot where all due at the same time. Then I started getting my tax disc online which cut the PO right out, and now DD so simple now. Made myself a decent saving on Insurance too, down from £28 a month to £17 with Aviva.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Is it more expensive if you pay by DD? I'm quite tempted to do this, I have to fork out £285 for mine in the same month I renew my car insurance and parking permit.

D

Deleted member 22389

Is it more expensive if you pay by DD? I'm quite tempted to do this, I have to fork out £285 for mine in the same month I renew my car insurance and parking permit.

Well the government has added a tenner a year extra for me going DD, still worth it the way my finances are at the moment.

RandyWanger

Je suis rôti de boeuf
Mar 14, 2013
Done a Frexit, now in London
My 2 UK cars are VED free :ascarf: one is a large engine, high polluting classic sports car and the other a low polluting luxury S Line Audi...

I'm a keen cyclist too and have 3 bikes currently, love the 'pay some f**king tax' arguments regarding cyclists and love the tax rules in the UK.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003

There is a 5% surcharge to tax it over 6 months or monthly by direct debit. It used to be 10% before the changes last year. So although not as cheap as paying the full 12 months upfront, it's a slight saving for those who used to pay every 6 months.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I will be from next month. Still can't believe it's taken so long to drag VED into this century. The utterly pointless paper tax discs and the admin at the post office must have cost a fortune to administer.

Now all they need to do is add it to fuel so that those that drive the most pay the most.

D

Deleted member 22389

I will be from next month. Still can't believe it's taken so long to drag VED into this century. The utterly pointless paper tax discs and the admin at the post office must have cost a fortune to administer.

Now all they need to do is add it to fuel so that those that drive the most pay the most.

I was pleasantly surprised at how easy it was to set up the DD, about 5 mins and your done.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
My vehicle Excise Duty is up at the end of the month, and is covered by the money generated by not paying Council Tax for the last 2 months.
One of the very few pieces of sound financial management I actually do.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
10 years late & they'll realise it's easier for people to meet & revenue will go up. Criminal they havn't sorted before now

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Paying by DD although don't see the justification for the extra cost for paying monthly. After all, you don't pay extra for paying PAYE monthly. As for the tax disc holder, just flipped it over so the Seagulls badge shows outwards now:thumbsup:

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
The tax was due for renewal at the end of December, so it was a no brainier to go the DD route. Simple and sensible option.

Fungus

NSC Patreon
May 21, 2004
Truro
Not worth it for 88p per month.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here