Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Fans to protest over ticket prices

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
Fans will protest against the price of match tickets by staging a demonstration outside a meeting of Premier League club executives.

Premier League chief executive Richard Scudamore is to present a letter to shareholders during their scheduled summit at a central London hotel.

He will do so on behalf of the Football Supporters' Federation (FSF) and fan groups from all 20 top-flight clubs.

The letter renews a demand for away tickets to be capped at £20.

In addition fans are also calling for:
◾Every Premier League club to set aside £1m per season, primarily to subsidise ticket prices for their away fans
◾A "structured engagement" with supporters at every club to consult on how to spend that £1m subsidy
◾An end to clubs categorising games for away fans and charging different prices depending on which team is visiting
◾No reduction in away ticket allocations or relocation of away fans to inferior accommodation

The protest will take place just weeks after the Premier League signed a record £5.14bn TV deal with Sky and BT Sport, which will cover three seasons from 2016-17.

A new report by Deloitte also shows top-flight clubs generated a combined pre-tax profit of £190m in 2013-14, the first in 15 years.

Given the financial success of the division, the FSF feels it is imperative for clubs to now take action on away ticket prices.

"Away fans generate much of the atmosphere, often sparking the home support into life," reads the FSF letter.

"They are among the most loyal of supporters, often travelling long distances at difficult times while generally being regular home fans and consumers of merchandise and TV packages, too."

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/32060593

SAC

May 21, 2014
Quite right too....I note that it is directed at Prem League...

PL clubs can afford to slash ticket prices as it is such a small percentage of their income. However most PL games are sold out or near to sold out so the money men running the clubs are unlikely to do so.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
PL clubs can afford to slash ticket prices as it is such a small percentage of their income.

no its a rather large proportion of their revenue, maybe the majority for a lot of clubs. this will change when the new deal takes affect, but that's 18mths away.

i'm not sure i understand why the focus on away tickets.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
One thing I'm not clear on is why are ticket prices so much higher than they used to be and also, why are other countries big teams able to charge much lower prices and still compete? For example - Arsenal £50 per ticket, Borussia Dortmund £12?

Is it simply the wages we pay to players in this country that means clubs have to charge ridiculous prices - young fans like me are being priced out of football, wanted to go watch England a few months ago tickets were 40'something quid train ticket 20 odd so by the time you've paid out that and other expenditures it's nye on half a weeks money to me.

I fear football becoming completely inaccessible to the majority sooner than we may think, wages aren't going up yet the average bloke who wants to take his kid to a game has to fork out 60 smackers for a couple of tickets, which is sad given I bet a large percentage of us were brought along by our dads/family at one stage and introduced to the team we still love today. Dark times for league football :(

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
no its a rather large proportion of their revenue, maybe the majority for a lot of clubs. this will change when the new deal takes affect, but that's 18mths away.

i'm not sure i understand why the focus on away tickets.

No it isn't. It isn't a majority for a single club in the Premier League, based on last season's figures. Not even close.

http://www.theguardian.com/news/datablog/2014/may/01/premier-league-club-accounts-debt-wages

Additionally, note the table includes ALL match day income, not just ticket prices.

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
The best protest would be a mass boycott of matches (or at least one weekend of matches all over the country). I can't see it happening though.

Hugh'sDad

Nov 29, 2011
'Ove
Nsc * tickertape latest.....breaking story....nsc * tickertape latest.....breaking story....nsc * tickertape latest.....breaking story....

The king is dead.......princess elizabeth informed.........edmund hillary grows mustache......:ffsparr:

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
The best protest would be a mass boycott of matches (or at least one weekend of matches all over the country). I can't see it happening though.
It's daft protesting about ticket prices, yet paying them and turning up. Vote with your feet would have a much greater message. I can't imagine sponsors would be too impressed either.

T soprano

Oct 27, 2011
Posh end of Shoreham
Years ago(when younger) Id have paid silly money to watch football, England games, champions league finals FA cup semi's etc, but now I'm older and wiser(well almost) the maximum Id be willing to pay to watch a game football is £35
When people start talking about CAT A away games at THE EMIRATES are £62 it's time to call it a day
The standard of the prem as gone down considerably in the last few years, the modern day footbal bubble is slowly bursting

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
It's daft protesting about ticket prices, yet paying them and turning up. Vote with your feet would have a much greater message. I can't imagine sponsors would be too impressed either.
That's exactly right. The single, sole reason why ticket prices are so high is because people are prepared to pay them. Good ol' Market Forces. They jack them up and jack them up and still all that happens is a few fans go "Awww!"

The problem about boycotts is that so many fans nowadays are ST holders. Even if you DON'T go they say you did! If you're really concerned about high prices - don't renew your season ticket. But how many are prepared to do that?

I suppose the fans could organise a week-long boycott where nobody goes to a game; that'll be funny, listening to the announcer at the Emirates announcing a sell-out 'attendance' to a few thousand rich superfans! Like any strike though in order for it to work it will have to be well-organised and rock-solid, not just a few activists walking around outside with placards. They'll need pickets. (Any volunteers?) Frankly though I doubt most would want to do it, far easier just to pay and moan.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
Two pages and no Palace superfans fighting for the rights of grass roots football contibuting? Where are those superheroes exposing the dreadful influence of the Premier League and tirelessly campaigning against those that flout prudent development of their clubs. Something is very much amiss

Surely a banner of some sort is needed here?

Dougie

Jan 11, 2012
Two pages and no Palace superfans fighting for the rights of grass roots football contibuting? Where are those superheroes exposing the dreadful influence of the Premier League and tirelessly campaigning against those that flout prudent development of their clubs. Something is very much amiss

Surely a banner of some sort is needed here?

We had one representation from the palace trust and 3 or 4 from the hf there . Sadly no banners and a generally poor turn out by all accounts ( more police than protesters ) . At least they are doing something , wether it works who knows , but the wheel is slowly turning and it is to the benefit of all football fans really .

SAC

May 21, 2014
The PL have promised to pump £1 billion (40% extra) into English football (which I believe mean football outside the PL) over the next three years. Clubs have agreed to pay the living wage to all staff (on Chelsea currently do) and I heard something about the price of tickets for away fans but couldn't hear exactly what.

Perhaps the protest worked?

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
The PL have promised to pump £1 billion (40% extra) into English football (which I believe mean football outside the PL) over the next three years. Clubs have agreed to pay the living wage to all staff (on Chelsea currently do) and I heard something about the price of tickets for away fans but couldn't hear exactly what.

Perhaps the protest worked?
Well thanks to Sky and BT they've certainly got the money, so perhaps they might get shamed into dropping prices. Didn't most PL clubs run at a profit last year as well for the first time in decades? @El Presidente ? And that was with the OLD TV deal! Sad but not surprised to hear from @Dougie that the protest was apparently a bit of a damp squib.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Well thanks to Sky and BT they've certainly got the money, so perhaps they might get shamed into dropping prices. Didn't most PL clubs run at a profit last year as well for the first time in decades? @El Presidente ? And that was with the OLD TV deal! Sad but not surprised to hear from @Dougie that the protest was apparently a bit of a damp squib.

The collective profit last season for the PL is (according to my chums at Deloitte) about £180 million. This is before the new TV deal kicks in. TV money and commercial deals have meant that PL football is now very attractive to owners.

The Glazers, who are completely odious in so many respects, have probably played a complete blinder in relation to their takeover of Manchester United. They bought the club for £790 million ten years ago, but the adidas kit deal is worth the same sum, Chevrolet have spent another £357 million to have their grotesque insignia on United's shirts, and AON have splashed £160 million on the naming rights for the training ground and training kit. That's BEFORE the TV money and gate receipts are taken into account.

United are currently worth about $2.5 billion on the stockmarket. Any new owner would probably have to pay a premium for control, so the Glazer's could walk away with a very sizeable profit should they sell out.

Last edited:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here