Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Rose and Crown, Beckley. Anyone know it?

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Walking the Sussex Border Path with a group of pals and the next section puts us at Beckley around lunch time on a Sunday. The Rose and Crown is the only pub in the village, but has no website and can find no reviews. Phoned the pub and spoke to the landlord, but in truth not overly impressed.

Anyone know the place? Would appreciate any comments.

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
Here is a crazy idea......why don't you go in it and find out for yourself?

If it's shit find another pub!

Yes, but if you have been hiking for hours and the place is naff, do you really want to hike for several miles when hungry and thirsty? Not like being in town where you can probably find somewhere nearby. Ideally, better to have a heads up.

I don't know the place and nobody has ever rated it on trip advisor. It could be a hidden gem or it could be full of league of gentleman type and local yokels who look at you as though you are martians when you walk through the door. In that little enclave of East Sussex, it wouldn't surprise me if it were the latter. Sorry I can't really help much.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Yes, but if you have been hiking for hours and the place is naff, do you really want to hike for several miles when hungry and thirsty? Not like being in town where you can probably find somewhere nearby. Ideally, better to have a heads up.

I don't know the place and nobody has ever rated it on trip advisor. It could be a hidden gem or it could be full of league of gentleman type and local yokels who look at you as though you are martians when you walk through the door. In that little enclave of East Sussex, it wouldn't surprise me if it were the latter. Sorry I can't really help much.

I understand that however what is a good pub?? What you may think is a great pub I may think is a shitpit.

And what did people do before the internet ever existed?

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Here is a crazy idea......why don't you go in it and find out for yourself?

If it's shit find another pub!

Thanks for your helpful answer, Arthur. Now why didn't I think of that? Might have been the fact I live 45 miles away and I thought it might just be easier to find out whether any of the good folks on NSC knew the place. However that clearly does not sit well with you, for which I humbly seek your forgiveness.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Thanks for your helpful answer, Arthur.

You are more than welcome!

Now why didn't I think of that?

No idea buddy??

Might have been the fact I live 45 miles away and I thought it might just be easier to find out whether any of the good folks on NSC knew the place.

You could live 450 miles away and it wouldn't matter. It would appear no one knows this pub. For the record I didn't even know where Beckley was let alone the pub.

However that clearly does not sit well with you, for which I humbly seek your forgiveness.

You are forgiven. Just don't do it again.

Make sure you report back your findings, I'm sure I speak for the whole of NSC when I say we are all dying to find out..... What the pub is like? What beers they had on? Whether the landlord was actually an arse or if he just wasn't the greatest on the phone? What choice of bar snacks they had? And most importantly.....was there any decent grumble to oggle behind the jump?

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Walking the Sussex Border Path with a group of pals and the next section puts us at Beckley around lunch time on a Sunday. The Rose and Crown is the only pub in the village, but has no website and can find no reviews. Phoned the pub and spoke to the landlord, but in truth not overly impressed.

Anyone know the place? Would appreciate any comments.

http://whatpub.com/pubs/HES/BECKL-1000/rose-crown-beckley

http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/areas/beckley/east-sussex/

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
I have been in a different pub, in a different place at a different time of day. It was OK in there. HTH

The Hon Sec

Feb 23, 2009
Deep up County
Someone needs to stand up for Beckley. I have been through the village on a number of occasions often on the way to Rye and used to play football against the village team a long time ago. Its a lovely area However, I have never been in the Rose and Crown so my information is irrelevant!

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
Someone needs to stand up for Beckley. I have been through the village on a number of occasions often on the way to Rye and used to play football against the village team a long time ago. Its a lovely area However, I have never been in the Rose and Crown so my information is irrelevant!

I stayed for a week in Beckley once, although I didn't go to the pub during that time. It is very nice around there, and there is the novelty value of having a large supermarket that you've never heard of in a village (Jempson's in Peasmarsh), although the prices were not as keen as Morrisons'. The village street is long and contains many different forms of vernacular architecture. I like it.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003

The guide to the Sussex Border Path says the section from Bodiam to Beckley has some of the nicest scenery on the entire 150 mile walk. Looking forward to it.

Have now decided to position a car somewhere along the route to take us to an alternative pub (probably the Swan Inn in Wittersham) as the Rose and Crown appears to be questionable, so unfortunately I'll be unable to report back.

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
People apparently travel a long way to go to Jempson's . But not me.

They have their fingers in quite a few pies in that area. Everything from supermarkets, cafe's, road haulage to undertakers. I know a few people who have worked for them. None of them were particularly complimentary about them as an employer to work for.

I stayed for a week in Beckley once, although I didn't go to the pub during that time. It is very nice around there, and there is the novelty value of having a large supermarket that you've never heard of in a village (Jempson's in Peasmarsh), although the prices were not as keen as Morrisons'. The village street is long and contains many different forms of vernacular architecture. I like it.

You are thinking of Peasmarsh not Beckley. I saw my friend's band play in the Rose and Crown around 30 years ago - don't remember anything about the pub. Hope that helps.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here