Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Squad and starting 11 for next season

The Terminator

Aug 7, 2010
Without wanting to tempt fate, we look safe. I'm sure the majority of us have an eye next season. I believe the aim is to have a play-off pushing squad, so what adjustments to the squad would you like to see be made?

I'll go ahead and actually give a few names:

Chris Wood -Hasn't really worked out too well for him at Leicester and they have an array of strikers to choose, im sure we could tempt them into selling with a decent bid. He's played in this division before and has a impressive record. Strong Center forward who can play in a pair or lead the line on his own. Also still only twenty three.

Ben Pringle - Wide midfielder, Brilliant delivery and an excellent work rate. He's also very good at set pieces, we are definitely lacking in that area of the field and Pringle would be an excellent addition in my view.

Joe Bennett - sign him on a permanent basis. he's been decent enough this season whilst mostly playing in a ridiculous system under Sami. He's had a season here now and would slot in nicely if he signed on a permanent.

Chris Gunter. Welsh international right back with over 50 caps and has some premier league experience, his contract expires in the summer and i feel he would add more solidity in the four than Bruno currently dose.

And finally - Tom Lees, honestly have no idea about our budget for next season but this sort of signing would be a real sign of intent. Had a magnificent season at Sheffield Wednesday who have a brilliant defensive record. Might not come on the cheap but hopefully we will be spending some cash in summer, so who knows.

P.S Maybe try and get Tex back on loan, the boy is brilliant.

That would give us a starting 11 which looks something like this:

--------------------------Stockdale
----------Gunter----Lees-----Dunk-----Bennett
-----------------------------Ince
----------------Stephens---------Kayal
------Lualua------------------------------------Pringle
---------------------------Wood

That is a starting 11 of dreams, full of players who know this league inside out.

Bench to pick from: Walton, Rea, Calde, Greer, Crofts,JFC, Hughes, Holla, March, Tex, Baldock, COG,

Players to ship: Kemy, CMS, Casper, and the current loanees.

SAY WE ARE GOING UP...

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
If Tex doesn't make the cut at Liverpool we should make every effort to get him back here on a seasons loan! You seem to agree but only give him a bench position?

Agree with shipping out Kemy, and CMS, I would also add COG to my disposal list.

Maybe make a bid for Elliott Bennett?

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
Whoever we sign the summer transfer window needs to be about quality not quantity. 5 strong signings with a bit of money spent on them for example rather than 10 freebies & loans..

brightonmark1234

Feb 9, 2010
Worthing
Without wanting to tempt fate, we look safe. I'm sure the majority of us have an eye next season. I believe the aim is to have a play-off pushing squad, so what adjustments to the squad would you like to see be made?

Chris Wood -Hasn't really worked out too well for him at Leicester and they have an array of strikers to choose, im sure we could tempt them into selling with a decent bid. He's played in this division before and has a impressive record. Strong Center forward who can play in a pair or lead the line on his own. Also still only twenty three.

Ben Pringle - Wide midfielder, Brilliant delivery and an excellent work rate. He's also very good at set pieces, we are definitely lacking in that area of the field and Pringle would be an excellent addition in my view.

Joe Bennett - sign him on a permanent basis. he's been decent enough this season whilst mostly playing in a ridiculous system under Sami. He's had a season here now and would slot in nicely if he signed on a permanent.

Chris Gunter. Welsh international right back with over 50 caps and has some premier league experience, his contract expires in the summer and i feel he would add more solidity in the four than Bruno currently dose.

And finally - Tom Lees, honestly have no idea about our budget for next season but this sort of signing would be a real sign of intent. Had a magnificent season at Sheffield Wednesday who have a brilliant defensive record. Might not come on the cheap but hopefully we will be spending some cash in summer, so who knows.

That is a starting 11 of dreams, full of players who know this league inside out.

Bench to pick from: Walton, Rea, Calde, Greer, Crofts,JFC, Hughes, Holla, March, Tex, Baldock, COG,

SAY WE ARE GOING UP...
i would send JFC out on loan next season

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
When was the last time we actually spent money to sign a player from a rival Championship club, was it Buckley? I can see us doing some business but the players will come from abroad, League One or Premier League fringe players.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Not sure about Chris Wood. I think he'd be the next Ashley Barnes figure. From his previous spell (yes, I know he was young), he scored some great goals, but also attracted criticism for some epic misses.

Iamapen15

May 17, 2009
Back of the North Stand
OK...

I very much agree with OP as to what needs strengthening.

----------NEW----NEW-----Dunk-----Bennett
------Lualua------------------------------------NEW
---------------------------NEW

Not sure what the budget is or who we could attract so will fill in the blanks as we go along!

Bench from: Walton, Rea, Greer, Bruno, Crofts, JFC, Holla, March, Baldock, COG, NEW STRIKER, NEW CREATIVE MIDFIELDER.

Available to loan: JFC, Monakana & Rea

Players out: Augstien, CMS, Hughes, Calde, Casper, Fenelon & Chicksen.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Not sure about Chris Wood. I think he'd be the next Ashley Barnes figure.

I'd settle for that anyday.

The Albion already missed the boat on signing Chris Wood more than once. Ditto the chance to sign George Boyd aka The Fifth Beatle.

Hopefully now that we've got a proper football man in charge of the playing side, he'll have a few more Beram Kayals up his sleeve.

Brighton Boy

Nov 11, 2003
Lancing
I would get rid of CMS,Crofts, Holla,Kemi,Chicksen,Ankergren, Hughes and O'Grady.

I'd like to see Halford back and to go after Lewis Mcgugan in that attacking midfield role. He's on loan at Sheffield Wed from forest who are going to have to shift a few. I'd like both Bennetts back if possible. And then deal with the strikers as a matter of importance.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

SAY WE ARE GOING UP...

Are you angling for a job in recruitment?
More seriously, this is a good post, and you've not only identified:
-- that we need quality over last summer's scatter-gun, last minute quantity approach
-- broadly the right positions that we need to focus on
-- and, even more specifically, the players to fill these positions. I am keen on Wood, Bennett J (although we might want to look at Ward if Burnley get relegated) and Pringle. I know less about the other players. If we don't re-sign Tex, we'll need another creative player and/or a goalscoring wide player (a la Antonio and Adomah).

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I wouldn't mind a classy, commanding centre half. Odd really, as we've hardly leaked goals (at least, not in the same manner that most of the teams in the relegation zone & surrounding area have). I can't quite put my finger on it, but neither Greer nor Dunk inspire massive confidence in me. Neither have been terrible this season, and Dunk's goals have been very welcome, but neither strike me as the leader- in the sort of Danny Cullip mould- or the ball playing anchorman at the back that Matthew Upson and Simon Morgan once were for us. Dunk has been error prone lately whilst Greer's passing infuriates me at times. I realise we're unlikely to replace both, so just one decent centre half to pair with whichever one Hughton chooses will do me.

The Terminator

Aug 7, 2010
I wouldn't mind a classy, commanding centre half. Odd really, as we've hardly leaked goals (at least, not in the same manner that most of the teams in the relegation zone & surrounding area have). I can't quite put my finger on it, but neither Greer nor Dunk inspire massive confidence in me. Neither have been terrible this season, and Dunk's goals have been very welcome, but neither strike me as the leader- in the sort of Danny Cullip mould- or the ball playing anchorman at the back that Matthew Upson and Simon Morgan once were for us. Dunk has been error prone lately whilst Greer's passing infuriates me at times. I realise we're unlikely to replace both, so just one decent centre half to pair with whichever one Hughton chooses will do me.

Completely agree with this, essentially i feel Dunk is definitely good enough overall although his form has dipped recently (Which is to be expected with a fairly young player). Greer annoys the hell out of me with his passing and he has also made his fair share of positional mistakes this season. However when ever questions start to be asked about him, he does usually pull through and improve his form ( as has been the case the previous few weeks). Although in general i do feel it is time for a new Center half. Gordan would be a brilliant back up if he chooses to stay and fight for his place.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
I would get rid of CMS,Crofts, Holla,Kemi,Chicksen,Ankergren, Hughes and O'Grady.

I'd like to see Halford back and to go after Lewis Mcgugan in that attacking midfield role. He's on loan at Sheffield Wed from forest who are going to have to shift a few. I'd like both Bennetts back if possible. And then deal with the strikers as a matter of importance.

never let us down would be cheap/free
and can literally play anywhere
+ I like him anyone heard his pre-match a few weeks ago, a very intelligent lad

theyellowdinosaur

Nov 29, 2011
I would be very disappointed if Lua Lua is starting for us. Very good player when he wants to be but he doesn't seem willing to fight and is far too inconsistent

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
I would like to see us keep Bennett and Halford from the loanees.
Tex if he is available, but doubt if he will be.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Stockdale

Bruno
{NEW}
Dunk
{NEW}

Ince
Kayal
Stephens

{NEW} / Tex
{NEW}
{NEW}

Subs:
Walton
Calderon ( new contract )
Greer
Crofts
Lus Lua
March
{NEW} (striker)

Squad:
Ankers ( new contract )
Rea
Chicksen
JFC
Holla
Baldock
OGrady / {NEW} ( if OGrady wants to leave )

6 NEW quality signings hopefully.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here