Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Next Goal wins, American Samoa football movie

T soprano

Oct 27, 2011
Posh end of Shoreham
After reading many thoughts on recent threads on the negatives of modern football, try watching the movie now showing on Sky demand NEXT GOAL WINS
A real feel good documentary about the worst football team in the world, American Samoa, no wins in 17 years no goals no hope, until a Dutch coach is signed up to give them some hope and inspiration
Watching the film made me remember why we all love the game so much, so forget about all the cynicism surrounding the modern game for 90 mins and watch it :thumbsup:
The cross gender defender ain't bad looking either :lolol:

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Watched it last night , the i have dropped a more skillfull player to make way for the ladyboy was a masterstroke by the coach , Joey Barton must have watched the premire of this movie , this would explain his over zelous passion on the pitch but a complete girls blouse off of it .

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
ooh looks good, where else can it be seen?

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
That looks AMAZING.

I nearly wet myself 30 seconds into that video... "I know they not really have the skills and everyth" BOOM! 10 yards over the bar. :lolol:

Brighton Boy

Nov 11, 2003
Lancing
Agree, beautiful location
Wouldn't be surprised if Hollywood turned it into a sort of Cool Runnings type movie

Weird you say that as I couldn't get cool runnings out my head from the first minute. This could easily be made into a film, especially with the transgender story.

The way they treated her left me abit embarrassed with things that still go on in our country.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Agree, beautiful location
Wouldn't be surprised if Hollywood turned it into a sort of Cool Runnings type movie

Could l direct it? I might change it slightly though:

I'll call it "Six needed in the last over" It'll be a story of the American Samoan cricket team, the worst team ever. Until they call upon a tired ex-England has-been one day batsman to coach them (let's call him Harry Stare-Hook for now) to World Cup GLORY where they will play ENGLAND in the final group stage match for that all important 4th spot.

Then with American Samoa needing 2 to win off the last ball to record a famous win in a rain-affected Duckworth Lewis game, the batsman will call upon everything he has learned from Harry and play the greatest forward defensive shot ever seen. So a heroic defeat, but the crowd will swarm onto the pitch at the end and carry the batsman head high regardless.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Just watched it. Lovely stuff.

T soprano

Oct 27, 2011
Posh end of Shoreham
Weird you say that as I couldn't get cool runnings out my head from the first minute. This could easily be made into a film, especially with the transgender story.

The way they treated her left me abit embarrassed with things that still go on in our country.
image.jpg

Thought it was a bit daft to start her in the first game but she ended up MOTM or WOTM

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Found the last 30 mins quite emotional, thought the Dutch coach was a bit of an idiot at first but by the end of the film turned out to be a great guy

Yep, very much so. I don't really want to say much about it as I hate spoiling films in any way but there was a moment, two or three, when I was most definitely punching the air.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
the Directors are friends of a friends of mine.

It’s a brilliant, uplifting & life-affirming film for any football fan. Especially those feeling a disconnect between themselves & the cynical world of modern day football.

I have given them the nod so post your thoughts as I am sure they will be reading them.

Brighton Boy

Nov 11, 2003
Lancing
the Directors are friends of a friends of mine.

It’s a brilliant, uplifting & life-affirming film for any football fan. Especially those feeling a disconnect between themselves & the cynical world of modern day football.

I have given them the nod so post your thoughts as I am sure they will be reading them.

Well done to them, great work. Would be interested in knowing if they plan to go back as I would love to see what's going on there in a year or 2.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Well done to them, great work. Would be interested in knowing if they plan to go back as I would love to see what's going on there in a year or 2.

Once the mods have sorted out the registration I am sure you can ask them yourself.

The stories I have heard through my friend are outstanding.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Is there anyway to watch this if you don't have Sky? Can you get Sky on demand through a Virgin box?

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Danny Baker, I think, (it might have been Tony Livsey) but it was certainly 5-live, were all over this story quite a while ago.

Interviewing the coach and the transgender player.

It was very interesting, and will be on the beeb somewhere.

Southwick_Seagull

Oct 8, 2008
Watched this the other day on Sky and as per all the other comments thought it was utterly brilliant.

Jesus Gul

Feb 23, 2004
A similar feel good cinematic sports fly on the wall is The Short Game on Netflix

All about 7 year old golf champs and pushy parents playing at Pinehurst. Surprisingly enjoyable

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here