Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Cold Call from Spanish Number 0034 789 85 469

Jul 24, 2003
Newbury, Berkshire.
Got a cold call from this Spanish number ( 0034 ) 789 85 469 on my BT landline last night. Caller hung up as soon as I asked him to 'state his business'. ( Sounded African / Nigerian but wasn't connected long enough to be sure ).

There are fake lottery scams and timeshare resellers trying to offer bogus transactions around at the moment, but there is a possibility this could be a phishing scam trying to get a commission sale for cashing in a Pension ( Private, AVC, Annuity or whatever ), now that the crims know what Gideon is proposing.

I can't find any info about the scam just from the 1471 number so I thought I'd ask NSC if anyone else has recieved a call from this number and what it might be about?

I'm on the TPS so whoever called is trying something nefarious!

DavidRyder

Jul 23, 2013
I'm getting dodgy 0843/0845 calls about 3 or 4 times a day, even one from the US - I just have my phone on silent and don't answer it - apologies to those that are genuinely calling me!

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
If you Google the number it comes up on a 'who called me site'.
Appears that quite a few people have been called from it,sometimes about compensation for a recent car accident,that they haven't had.
These calls really piss me off...............usually happen when I am having a snooze!

Jul 24, 2003
Newbury, Berkshire.
So it's the old 'where there's blame, there's a claim' scam (and of course they'll want a big fat commission fee up front for handling it).

I had one last year who started off asking me about my Personal Computer, I launched into a tirade of abuse about how I knew all about the scam and how I supposed he wanted me to let him log on remotely, to load loads of trojans / malware / viruses and download all my e-mail and IP address details. The guy had the complete nerve to sound all surprised and asked how I thought he would be so disreputable. I called him a 'w*nker', told him to f*ck off, and hung up.

Don't get many calls like this, so TPS seems to be doing its job ok.

http://www.tpsonline.org.uk/tps/index.html

Mattywerewolf

Mar 7, 2012
Saff of the River
So it's the old 'where there's blame, there's a claim' scam (and of course they'll want a big fat commission fee up front for handling it).

I had one last year who started off asking me about my Personal Computer, I launched into a tirade of abuse about how I knew all about the scam and how I supposed he wanted me to let him log on remotely, to load loads of trojans / malware / viruses and download all my e-mail and IP address details. The guy had the complete nerve to sound all surprised and asked how I thought he would be so disreputable. I called him a 'w*nker', told him to f*ck off, and hung up.

we are registered with them but recently have started getting 3-4 calls a day from insurance claims witholding their number. Was thinking of getting one of those phones which allows you to block numbers but don't think this won't stop these b@stards getting through

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford

My experience quite different, I've registered and re-registered more than once. No avoiding the scammers but I still get 1 or 2 a day from "legit" PPI, Accident Claim, Home Imp types of Co's etc. Gave up trying to find out who they are and reporting it to TPS

Like the idea of the fella here who blows his ref's whistle down the line, might invest in one

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
The telephone preference service will only slow down the stream of rubbish from PPI hawkers and their ilk who operate from the UK. Sadly the preference service is ineffective against those scammers who operate from outside these shores.

I'm signed up to the preference service for both my landline and mobile. Aside from the odd text and jesters from India claiming to be Microsoft, its not as bad as it was.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I received a phone call pretending to be from our phone providers, offering a box to connect to our phone, which blocks foreign cold calls. I said I don't buy anything over the phone, and yet he had the cheek to say he wasn't selling anything. He then went on to say it was available for £1.99 a day.
I just hung up.

Jul 24, 2003
Newbury, Berkshire.
It's probably Calde making sure you've renewed your season ticket...

Only a call from El Punal will influence me one way or t'other............... Problem is he can't speak English, and I can't speak Spanish.

valencia_vicente_rodriguez-spain.jpg

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I've got caller line identification on the landline and a couple of times when I've seen international numbers come in I've answered it and pretended to be an Indian call centre worker called Brian (complete with cod 'goodness gracious me' accent) asking how I can help them on this lovely fine day. Then I try and sell them a Windows virus checker.

Well it amuses me.

EDIT: I'm on TPS and it works fine for us.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Aside from the odd text and jesters from India claiming to be Microsoft,

I actually enjoy the fake Microsoft calls - if I'm bored I lead them down the garden path for around half an hour before unleashing a triade of insults at them. The shock in their voice is a joy to behold and sometimes they even try and argue back !

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
I actually enjoy the fake Microsoft calls - if I'm bored I lead them down the garden path for around half an hour before unleashing a triade of insults at them. The shock in their voice is a joy to behold and sometimes they even try and argue back !

Yeah I quite enjoy those. They get fed up in the end and hang up especially when you constantly ask what a mouse or the Internet is

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
I had the Windows one yesterday, knew it was dodgy when they asked to speak to my grandad, he's been dead 25 years! No idea how old their list was.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here