Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Two seasons, 7 goals, 1 new Lamborghini Aventador.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Fletcher was shown last week posing with the car which was parked in his driveway just feet from a £160,000 Bentley.
One angry fan later tweeted: “This is where the Sky money goes, into mediocre players’ pockets while lower league clubs can barely afford their academy.”

He's right however you can't blame individuals for taking the best deal they can get.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
http://www.cipd.co.uk/pm/peoplemana...e/2014/01/02/pay-has-gone-football-crazy.aspx

Football's wage trends may seem extreme, but consider the pay differentials in your organisation, writes Duncan Brown

Pay statistics have attracted plenty of headlines recently, with the latest Office for National Statistics data confirming real wage cuts for most of us for a fifth consecutive year. Average annual earnings in the last month were up by just 0.8 per cent compared to Consumer Price Inflation of 2.1 per cent.

A lot of the debate over this unprecedented situation has centred on the disproportionate impact of the wage cuts, with further ‘hollowing out’ of the labour market and the impact of technology and globalisation depressing pay for low skilled jobs, while professional and executive pay has continued to increase as the economy recovers.

Citizens UK has just published a report contrasting soaring player wages in the Premier League with the ‘poverty wages’ paid to their (mostly female) contract staff, such as cleaners and catering assistants. It would apparently take a full-time cleaner at Manchester City 13 years to earn the £180,000 Yaya Toure makes in a week.

While I very much support upping low pay levels through a higher National Minimum Wage or Living Wage, I am not sure the previous analogy is that typical or helpful. On the basis of ‘like work’ I shouldn’t think the cleaners look at these footballers and feel that they should be paid the same. And Manchester City has committed to pay its contract staff the Living Wage level.

Perhaps a more accurate representation of the danger of what’s been happening in the UK pay market, where inequality has grown faster than in any other OECD country over the past 20 years, comes if we look at wider trends in the rewards of professional footballers.

In the bottom division, League 2, new figures show that average weekly pay of £747 is just over the national average earnings level. In 1992 – when the Premier League was started – the equivalent figure in League 2 was £320. Players in the top division then earned 3.7 times that. Today, as the value of the Sky TV contract has rocketed from £191 million to £1.7 billion, so Premier League wages now average an incredible £22,353 a week, 30 times League 2 earnings. And that’s without the image rights and other commercial endorsements, which can add up to 100 per cent to the earnings of players in the top flight. Even in the Championship (the old second division) annual wages are around what Toure and Wayne Rooney make in a week.

Football clubs are of course relatively unusual employers in many senses. But what are the general implications of this trend for UK employers as a whole? First, if you believe in internal talent management and home-grown leaders, you really need to think about, monitor and manage these pay relativities in your organisation and the alignment of pay and career progression. I have heard examples of pay-nothing promotions in the last couples of years, a short-sighted cost-saving from this perspective.

Second, wider staff engagement and motivation can be a major concern in organisations with extreme pay differentials. The managing partner of a major accounting firm told me that when he was a project manager, partners earned 7 or 8 times what he did. Now the multiple is over 20 times and he said that would have led him to feel exploited.

Maybe a more relevant question regarding the football club cleaners and caterers is why they don’t share in the team performance-related bonuses that the players also enjoy. And as for female footballers… well, that’s another blog

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
His agent Scott Fisher insisted Fletcher had not posted the car photo on Twitter. He blamed the company who sold the Lamborghini for putting the picture online.

Fisher added: “It wasn’t Steven that put the picture up.

“The company who were doing advertising on it done it.

“I don’t know what the problem is and what people are getting excited about.”

I actually want to hear more about what was actually said between Fletcher and the car company. Why, if they took the picture, would they include another car (a Bentley) in the background? Why would Fletcher permit the photo being taken outside his house unless he was getting a price reduction on the deal? Why would a car company not get a picture with Fletcher at their dealership?

I suspect Fletcher's agent may be being economical with the truth here...

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
His agent Scott Fisher insisted Fletcher had not posted the car photo on Twitter. He blamed the company who sold the Lamborghini for putting the picture online.

“The company who were doing advertising on it done it.

I actually want to hear more about what was actually said between Fletcher and the car company. Why, if they took the picture, would they include another car (a Bentley) in the background? Why would Fletcher permit the photo being taken outside his house unless he was getting a price reduction on the deal? Why would a car company not get a picture with Fletcher at their dealership?

You'd have thought they'd also have obscured the number plates?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

The company who were doing advertising on it done it.

Did it not fecking done it :rolleyes:

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
You'd have thought they'd also have obscured the number plates?

Agreed. I'd be interested to have seen a screen shot of the dealership's website with this "promotional" photo on it, I wonder if it ever existed? If so, that would have been beyond amateurish, beyond even a schoolboy error, we'd be in Hyypia territory...

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
About time clubs only paid ssp rather than basic weekly wage. May get some of the sick notes to get fitter quicker

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I would be more concerned about Defoe being on 90k a week for three years if I supported Sunderland
If you were trying to cheer us all up...

...congratulations, you've succeeded.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
How do you think poor old Lamborghini feel in all this. Having a Sunderland player buy one of their cars ?

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
If I could find someone willing to pay me five,ten, twenty,fifty or a hundred K a week I wouldn`t turn it down. Would you ?

I agree Footballers are overpaid compared with many other professions/jobs but surely everyone wants to be paid as much as they can get.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here