Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Help finding an U11s coach

Aug 1, 2006
My son plays for an U10s team in Brighton at the moment and the sqaud is large (24) so will split into two teams next year. We are currently without a coach for the new team. None of the dads really feel either qualified or able to give the time needed to be the team coach/manager. Is there an AITC facility or a local FA one to help us find someone who would like to coach?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I'm happy to do the admin by the way, just looking for a football coach who knows more about the game than me and particularly how to bring kids on.

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
My son plays for an U10s team in Brighton at the moment and the sqaud is large (24) so will split into two teams next year. We are currently without a coach for the new team. None of the dads really feel either qualified or able to give the time needed to be the team coach/manager. Is there an AITC facility or a local FA one to help us find someone who would like to coach?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I'm happy to do the admin by the way, just looking for a football coach who knows more about the game than me and particularly how to bring kids on.

Steve Phythian at the Sussex FA is a good place to start, other than that, get your club to use Social Media and advertise to recruit.

Other than that, I would say that a good basic understanding of the game is enough at Under 10 level - You can learn through coach education how to develop the players...The level 1 is easy, but then develop further by doing the Youth Modules and then the Level 2.

Have a go yourself...I started out as just a dad with no major in depth knowledge of coaching and now I have three sucessful teams (two boys & one girls) and qualifications. There's now loads of excellent resource available and you will learn what you need to work on just after a few training sessions.

It can be hard sometimes trying to keep everyone happy, but it's ultimately rewarding.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patreon
Jun 27, 2012
Have a go yourself...I started out as just a dad with no major in depth knowledge of coaching and now I have three sucessful teams (two boys & one girls) and qualifications. There's now loads of excellent resource available and you will learn what you need to work on just after a few training sessions.

It can be hard sometimes trying to keep everyone happy, but it's ultimately rewarding.

Agreed. It seems like a big jump at first but if other parents are happy to help you then its really good fun. Nearly all the coaches for the sussex sunday youth league clubs are Dads who probably started in a similar position to you/your club.
I put myself forward when our team was going to fold and even though i said i'd only do it "until we found a proper coach" , have been at it for nearly 3 years.
Clubs will help with L1 coaching and as Supaseagull says there's loads of online support,videos and advice if someone does take the plunge.

Aug 1, 2006
Agreed. It seems like a big jump at first but if other parents are happy to help you then its really good fun. Nearly all the coaches for the sussex sunday youth league clubs are Dads who probably started in a similar position to you/your club.
I put myself forward when our team was going to fold and even though i said i'd only do it "until we found a proper coach" , have been at it for nearly 3 years.
Clubs will help with L1 coaching and as Supaseagull says there's loads of online support,videos and advice if someone does take the plunge.

I agree, it would be in some ways the best solution to train up but wanted to explore other options first as I don't see myself as a coach really as can't actually kick the ball in a straight line. Used to be an OK defender but most of the boys have better skills than me already, and pretty much all of the dads do which is pretty embarrassing. Will have a think about it. Superseagull thanks for the contact at the FA, I have dropped Steve a line. Have started asking around all over as well. Social media good suggestion.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patreon
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I agree, it would be in some ways the best solution to train up but wanted to explore other options first as I don't see myself as a coach really as can't actually kick the ball in a straight line. Used to be an OK defender but most of the boys have better skills than me already, and pretty much all of the dads do which is pretty embarrassing. Will have a think about it. Superseagull thanks for the contact at the FA, I have dropped Steve a line. Have started asking around all over as well. Social media good suggestion.

Some of the best managers couldn't kick a ball, Mourinho only played lower level stuff.

Remember now though it's more than just coaching badges, you need to be CRB checked, first aid trained and have completed a FA Child Protection course.

bn1&bn3 Albion

Jan 15, 2011
Portslade
As already suggested, contact Steve Phythian at the Sussex FA, they have a page where coaches can look for teams to coach, so I'm sure you'll be able to get your team on that list.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patreon
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Some of the best managers couldn't kick a ball, Mourinho only played lower level stuff.

Remember now though it's more than just coaching badges, you need to be CRB checked, first aid trained and have completed a FA Child Protection course.

And put up the goalposts :smile:

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patreon
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patreon
Jun 27, 2012
One of the skills out here in Chailey is getting rid of molehills and filling in rabbit holes that pepper our pitch !Handling a spade can be as as important as handling a set of cones. :)

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here