Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Chris 'Was Not Was' Hughton

Bombadier Botty

Complete Twaddle
Jun 2, 2008
The rant - I don't understand how an articulate, hardly stupid man like Chris Hughton can persist in using 'was' in place of 'were' in his interviews. I can understand it with less articulate guilty parties such as Palace thicko Pardew and Villa thicko Sherwood, but CH, really?

The advance apology - Advance apologies for the rant, and it is a trivial thing in the grand scheme of things, but CH will arguably be a role model for a lot of youngsters and it just seems like sheer laziness.

Hopes for this thread - a debate on lazy speak in general.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
I don't see how it can be an "advance apology" for a rant if it has been written after the rant. It's just "an apology", isn't it?

:wink:

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
It does seem a little strange, I agree. CH is an articulate guy, so the consistent misuse of "was" vs "were" is surprising.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
I would imagine it's the dialect of his youth and the location he grew up in, and it's hard to alter it after so long?

or

Well it's the way he was brung up, the local lingo and the way of the manor back in the day. He aint gonna change nahr is he?

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
"hopes for this thread"

to get you a hobby.......

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Alan Sugar and my very high functioning CEO brother-in-law (amongst others!) do exactly the same.

It is hardly crime of the century.

I'm much more concerned about where exactly we will sit in a "Second Half of the Season" league table come the end of the season. A play-off spot is still possible and would be very heartening.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
Totally with the OP on this.

My mum was an English teacher and I had grammar and punctuation drilled into me from an early age. Badly spoken English drives me mad although I agree there are far more important things in the world.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
The northerners I work with seem to get it the other way around. Following a clap of thunder just now my Wigan born friend pipes up with 'What were that'?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I thought this was going to be a startling revelation about CH being involved with an 80's one-hit wonder.

Open the door, get on the floor
Everybody walk the dinosaur

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Totally with the OP on this.

My mum was an English teacher and I had grammar and punctuation drilled into me from an early age. Badly spoken English drives me mad although I agree there are far more important things in the world.

Pretty similar here. It grates me when people use phrases like the OP suggests...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here