Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

O/T Chromebook advice please

Having left my Samsung Netbook on the Madrid Metro :dunce: I need to buy a new one but they seem to have disappeared. I used to use it closed on the desk with a separate keyboard and screen plugged in and just took the Netbook on my travels.

I'm not into games or movies, I mainly use it for the net, emails and Microsoft Office.

A Chromebook would seem to be the answer but I have a few concerns:-

Can I plug a mouse in, I hate built in mouse pads? They only seem to have one or two USB´s

I assume I would need to buy a new printer?

I obviously won't have MS office, is whatever Google provides going to prove a problem if I send documents to clients who still use it?

Will I need to pay for cloud storage?

Can I give others permission to access stuff I have stored in the cloud - photos of properties for example?

My internet connection is not very fast here - ping 62, download 6.62 upload 0.37 - is this going to be a problem?

Will I be able to upload all my current local files to the cloud or will I have to have some local and some cloudy?

Part of me worries about not having files locally, what happens if the Russians block the cloud? I suppose rather less likely than me stupidly leaving the bloody machine on the Metro, but please reassure me!

All suggestions and advice much appreciated. And no, I don't want to buy a Mac.

robinsonsgrin

Mar 16, 2009
LA...wishing it was devon..
just bought a chromebook myself for lightweight usage.. went off tablets..
yes, you can attach a mouse.
if you use google docs you dont need office.
surely a printer can be configured to any device?
looked up best ones around and found the toshiba one was top.. then found it on ebay reconditioned from toshiba for 100 less! shop around. have used samsung ones before, they are ok.

im not a techy.. so will leave others to give their more expert opinion!
i am also looking to invest in another lappy for work use.. but am taking my time to investigate.. may even turn to the macbook air!

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Having left my Samsung Netbook on the Madrid Metro :dunce: I need to buy a new one but they seem to have disappeared. I used to use it closed on the desk with a separate keyboard and screen plugged in and just took the Netbook on my travels.

I'm not into games or movies, I mainly use it for the net, emails and Microsoft Office.

A Chromebook would seem to be the answer but I have a few concerns:-
Can I plug a mouse in, I hate built in mouse pads? They only seem to have one or two USB´s
Get a USB hub, 4 ports should suffice

I assume I would need to buy a new printer?

No, your printer should work.

I obviously won't have MS office, is whatever Google provides going to prove a problem if I send documents to clients who still use it?

You should be able to save in doc/xls format, that's pretty universal.

Will I need to pay for cloud storage?
Can I give others permission to access stuff I have stored in the cloud - photos of properties for example?

Several available, one I use is copy.com, 15gb for free - signup here https://copy.com?r=YGEWxd - can also access from the web if you forget your PC (or leave it on a train) and you can share folders.

My internet connection is not very fast here - ping 62, download 6.62 upload 0.37 - is this going to be a problem?

Should be fine

Will I be able to upload all my current local files to the cloud or will I have to have some local and some cloudy?

I'd recommend storing them on an external hard drive

Part of me worries about not having files locally, what happens if the Russians block the cloud? I suppose rather less likely than me stupidly leaving the bloody machine on the Metro, but please reassure me!

Cloud storage is pretty safe but always keep your own backup too

All suggestions and advice much appreciated. And no, I don't want to buy a Mac.
You should, they are so much better.

basque seagull

Oct 21, 2012
I bought a toshiba chromebook and it came with 100 gb free google drive storage + the 15gb you get with GD...115 gb in total

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here