Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

People of a certain age who have had Heart attacks!

cornish seagull

cornish seagull
Feb 25, 2011
cornwall
Had minor heart attack 8 weeks ago and got two stents put in, recovering but so bloody tired. Any one else had this procedure and how did the medication effect you?

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
Had minor heart attack 8 weeks ago and got two stents put in, recovering but so bloody tired. Any one else had this procedure and how did the medication effect you?

I have had two stents for the last three to four years. Medication is unfortunately a necessary evil. I get more tired than I used to, but it,s a small price to pay.

Get involved with the British Heart Foundation. Their info is invaluable and you get the chance to meet lots of others in similar circumstances.

Trevor

In my Fifties, still know nothing
NSC Patreon
Dec 16, 2012
Milton Keynes
Hi Cornish,
Sorry to hear this especially after your last few years. I had a heart murmur requiring valve repair in 2013. I go along with the BHF recommendation. Sign up for the magazine - it's very good. I go to a weekly cardiac rehab which is excellent. It's gym-work but they are keeping an out to make sure you are safe and are keeping an eye on you (BP /medication checks) - they have defibrillators (haven't seen anyone need these). Also of course everyone there has been through a cardiac event so you help each other along a bit. It would be a good idea to see if there is similar in your area - it may be a GP referral.
I don't know what meds you are on. One of mine is a statin and for the first few years I did get very tired but less so since then -Warfarin is hard work - I was only on that for a few months thankfully. (PM me if I can help at all)

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
My brother had a heart attack at 42. Well he actually had three in 2 hours,which frankly is showing off, but he had a stent put in and is doing well. The one problem he had was getting the medication right. It took the medics a better part of a year to finally get there. Be patient and listen to the medics is the message.

cornish seagull

cornish seagull
Feb 25, 2011
cornwall
Hi Cornish,
Sorry to hear this especially after your last few years. I had a heart murmur requiring valve repair in 2013. I go along with the BHF recommendation. Sign up for the magazine - it's very good. I go to a weekly cardiac rehab which is excellent. It's gym-work but they are keeping an out to make sure you are safe and are keeping an eye on you (BP /medication checks) - they have defibrillators (haven't seen anyone need these). Also of course everyone there has been through a cardiac event so you help each other along a bit. It would be a good idea to see if there is similar in your area - it may be a GP referral.
I don't know what meds you are on. One of mine is a statin and for the first few years I did get very tired but less so since then -Warfarin is hard work - I was only on that for a few months thankfully. (PM me if I can help at all)

Brilliant post and so helpful, thank you.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Interesting thread. Can i ask how many of you on here smoke or use to?

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
Interesting thread. Can i ask how many of you on here smoke or use to?

No....there are plenty of statistics for you to look up.

This is a thread about people who have had heart attacks or stent procedures and the effects of medication.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010

You will be very tired and the time taken to recover will be based on the extent to which your heart muscle was damaged rather than the drugs prescribed. You will gradually feel more active/alert; have you started your cardiac rehab yet?

Be aware that after the initial drugs you get, probably including anti-coagulants, if you have no complications you'll be on a fairly standard cocktail (aspirin/statin/ACE inhibitor/Beta blocker) prescribed very much on a statistical rather than personal basis. As time goes by and your confidence returns, you may wish to challenged the dosage.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
I had 2 stents inserted in October .I was getting chest and upper arm pains for several months each time I did cardio work in the gym (5 times a week). I only once got the pains when not working out (was playing golf). Two ECGs came up normal but then a stress ecg showed some problems. Angiogram found 2 blockages due to cholesterol build up and so the 2 stents were inserted. I was back in the gym 2 days later and I feel like I've had a turbo fitted! I am still working out 5 times a week and have lost 5kgs. I have never felt better I am taking a statin daily for a year and a cholesterol-lower daily for the rest of my life. Not having had a heart attack my experience doesn't directly compare with others on here but I can say that the stents have had a very positive impact and I haven't noticed any tiredness from the medication.

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
I have had 2 minor heart attacks and a TIA (mini stroke) all 3 happened inside 2 years in my mid 40s, it was my work and life style that caused it.

Obviously I was hospitalised on all 3 issues, but never had any major surgery etc. Looking back I do think I'm lucky to still be here.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here