Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Last Night's Rugger - How Did The Club Benefit?

el punal

Having watched the game on Sky, I was mightily impressed on how the Amex . . . sorry, Community Stadium looked. The opinions given by the various folk in rugby circles was indeed flattering. So in terms of PR and publicity the Albion as a club came out as winners.

But what about financially? On the basis of an attendance of 12,600 (that's damn good for this sort of fixture) that would equate to roughly £150,000 (if you do an even split between sales of £15 and £10 tickets). Not a bad evening's work if all the revenue went back to the club. Or is it a case that England RFU hired the stadium for a fixed cost and they took the ticket proceeds?

Either way still a win/win for the club particularly with additional revenue from the catering.

Would be interesting to hear if anyone can expand on this.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Having watched the game on Sky, I was mightily impressed on how the Amex . . . sorry, Community Stadium looked. The opinions given by the various folk in rugby circles was indeed flattering. So in terms of PR and publicity the Albion as a club came out as winners.

But what about financially? On the basis of an attendance of 12,600 (that's damn good for this sort of fixture) that would equate to roughly £150,000 (if you do an even split between sales of £15 and £10 tickets). Not a bad evening's work if all the revenue went back to the club. Or is it a case that England RFU hired the stadium for a fixed cost and they took the ticket proceeds?

Either way still a win/win for the club particularly with additional revenue from the catering.

Well, 20% of that projected ticket revenue would go straight to the Government in the form of VAT.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
It tells the sporting world that The Amex is a global award winning stadium for prestigious events.

Feb 14, 2010
Nope. Bring back the old Third Division, that's our traditional hunting ground and to be frank ("Well you can be frank if I can be Mavis") things haven't been the same since the FA got rid.

Things haven't been the same since the Southern League merged with the Football League. We wont be champions of England again..

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Thats where i am. Would be stunned if they hadn't insisted in a trial run
And i will be stunned if the AMEX doesn't become one of the first ports of call when staging 'B' and Jnr international events.

12k is a great credit to the club and people of Sussex.
That wouldn't have gone unnoticed in many sporting governing bodies.

Shirley it has to be better than traipsing up to Manckyshire et al.

Oct 25, 2003
Rugby could and should become a nice little earner for the club in the future. Surely there's a market for it down here in middle class Sussex

Lindfield by the Pond

Jan 10, 2009
Lindfield (near the pond)
I was wondering if we could keep the goals. Our strikers might get a few then.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

Would be interesting to hear if anyone can expand on this.

Seems to me a long term strategy by the owners of the stadium. Establish the stadium as a venue for all sorts of prestige events, build the hotel, fill the hotel with attendees of aforesaid prestige events at premium prices.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here