Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Religious/Cultural reasons for avoiding an Eclipse-Can NSC shed some light on this

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
a very odd story indeed,no one anywhere seems to have any idea which culture or religion have a problem with an eclipse yet the headmaster in question banned the kids for watching it on these very grounds,but is refusing to name the culture or religion that forced this action

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-31989913

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-cultural-and-religious-reasons-10122964.html

http://www.itv.com/news/london/2015...r-eclipse-for-cultural-and-religious-reasons/

come on NSC wild speculation is permitted.....who is the guilty party the headmaster is talking about?

Last edited:

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
a very odd story indeed,no one anywhere seems to have any idea which culture or religion have a problem with an eclipse yet the headmaster in question banned the kids for watching it on these very grounds,but is refusing to name

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-31989913

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-cultural-and-religious-reasons-10122964.html

http://www.itv.com/news/london/2015...r-eclipse-for-cultural-and-religious-reasons/

come on NSC wild speculation is permitted.....who is the guilty party the headmaster is talking about?

It was believed that when an eclipse occurred, Dragons were attacking the sun. So maybe he does not like the Welsh?

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
It was believed that when an eclipse occurred, Dragons were attacking the sun. So maybe he does not like the Welsh?

To be fair ...... (Complete this sentence using only two words, clue : one of those words is "does" and the other is "who"

P.s. Only joking.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex

sounds a bit far fetched and backward

i did everything correct during the eclipse,i made sure i wasnt eating whilst it happened and sorted things out so i knew i wasnt pregnant during this event.

ridiculous notions of dragons wont help solve this mystery

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Maybe the real reason was he was worried one of the kids would look directly at the sun damaging their eyes, and the parents would then sue the headmaster

again .......too sensible an explanation,especially as he is being quoted as saying the reasons were for culture and religion

unless of course this story is a complete hoax and has sucked every news outlet into its bottomless abyss

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Christ just get to the point:lolol:
It's Facking southall and it's basically nearly all muslim and doesn't take a genious to work it out although obviously there's a 2% chance im wrong.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
A couple of my work colleagues who are Indian told me yesterday that in India it is considered unlucky to watch / look at an eclipse. I'd imagine that's religion driven.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
He's having a laugh, as everything else in his "multicultural" school is banned for some reason or other. Somebody somewhere will have had their "rights" infringed.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
It's Facking southall and it's basically nearly all muslim and doesn't take a genious to work it out although obviously there's a 2% chance im wrong.

I am no fan of the snackbar mentality but i think you have called this one wrong.Muslims are moon worshippers and have a special prayer to make during the eclipse in praise of Allah bloke......i think its someone else

my money is on the Moonies

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patreon
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne

There is a link to a piece in The Telegraph further down in that article. The Hindii faith says that looking at an eclipse makes you unclean and so should be avoided, or at least thorough washing should take place after the event. Southall probably has more Hindus than Muslims so this would seem to add up in some odd way. Headmaster is still a bell end though.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
same reason as the belief that somewhere will be 9 virgins waiting to greet them
and somewhere there is still a flat earth society

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
There is a link to a piece in The Telegraph furhet down in that article. The Hindii faith says that looking at an eclipse makes you unclean and so should be avoided, or at least thorough washing should take place after the event. Southall probably has more Hindus than Muslims so this would seem to add up in some odd way. Headmaster is still a bell end though.
Yeah just been reading hence my post above:thumbsup:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Maybe the real reason was he was worried one of the kids would look directly at the sun damaging their eyes, and the parents would then sue the headmaster

no, as the school had been planning to do sun watching with the kids creating pin hole cameras.

i reckon it was a single parent complaint, probably from obscure sect of religion or culture that venerates the sun. (doubtful its the usual suspects, who've long histories of astronomy)

ah, seen the Hindu reference, thats a new one.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic

Southall is basically nearly all muslim? That will be massive news for the substantial Christian, Hindi and Sikh communities.

Christian: 35%
Hindu: 12.4%
Muslim: 13.3%
Sikh: 23.2%

I agree with you regarding religion in schools however.

Last edited:

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Bonkers. There is so much confusion and PC hoopla going on that people are too afraid to put a foot wrong. People in positions such as headmaster should make decisions and be prepared to back them up and stand by them.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Bonkers. There is so much confusion and PC hoopla going on that people are too afraid to put a foot wrong. People in positions such as headmaster should make decisions and be prepared to back them up and stand by them.

This is true
He would be better off coming clean now before the hole gets deeper and just say

it seems i have been a plank,i listened to a plank and believed him,i then turned full plank and got scared believing if i didnt also become a plank someone would accuse me of plankism

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here