Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Streets of Brighton and Hove

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now
While researching something else to do with Brighton, I stumbled upon this little gem. It lists the streets of Brighton and Hove, along with some facts to do with that particular Street or Road. Apparently the road that I grew up on was named after a former mayor of Brighton who also founded The Kemptown Brewery. Come on let's see who can come up with the most interesting fact to do with the St or Rd that they live in or where they grew up. http://www.brightonhistory.org.uk/streets/index.html

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patreon
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Excellent, great spot .
Hallett Road for you I think.

The road I grew up in commemorates a siege in 1899-1900 during the Boer War.

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now
Excellent, great spot .
Hallett Road for you I think.

The road I grew up in commemorates a siege in 1899-1900 during the Boer War.

You are correct. It seems that we take Street and Road names for granted when, If you delve a little it can ( not always ) lead to an explanation as to why it is so. Mafeking Road for you then..:thumbsup:

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patreon
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
You are correct. It seems that we take Street and Road names for granted when, If you delve a little it can ( not always ) lead to an explanation as to why it is so. Mafeking Road for you then..:thumbsup:

Spot on with Mafeking Road, wasn't sure you would get that as a few streets in that area were named after the Boer war, Ladysmith Road , Kimberley Road etc .

I did know about the Boer War connection with Mafeking Road, but I will be looking up other road/street names on that site.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
My first ever home in this world was a 24-storey tower block that dominates the seafront, is the tallest residential building in the city at 336 feet, 82 metres above the exhibition halls on which it stands. Designed by R Seifert & Partners, it was the tallest UK residential building outside London until 2005.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patreon
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
My first ever home in this world was a 24-storey tower block that dominates the seafront, is the tallest residential building in the city at 336 feet, 82 metres above the exhibition halls on which it stands. Designed by R Seifert & Partners, it was the tallest UK residential building outside London until 2005.

Sussex Heights then.

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now

You posh bugger. Sussex Heights eh.....:thumbsup:

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Nothing about the street I grew up in, but I did live in Brading Road for a while. Not listed there, but many streets in that area are named after towns on the Isle of Wight. What that doesn't say is why they did that.

While researching something else to do with Brighton, I stumbled upon this little gem. It lists the streets of Brighton and Hove, along with some facts to do with that particular Street or Road. Apparently the road that I grew up on was named after a former mayor of Brighton who also founded The Kemptown Brewery. Come on let's see who can come up with the most interesting fact to do with the St or Rd that they live in or where they grew up. http://www.brightonhistory.org.uk/streets/index.html

The Kemp Town Brewery was one the corner of Eastern Road and Sutherland Road, on a site then adjacent to Brighton College, and now since bought and now owned by them.

jg_22_138.jpg

He built his own Manor House at Manor Farm (the southern end of Whitehawk now) in 1855.

jg_23_069.jpg

Flex Your Head

I'm really surprised by that because I'd never thought of it as being particularly tall. Tall for Brighton maybe, but nothing out of the ordinary.

Did you ever meet Sussex Heights Roving Art Group? :wink:

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
I'm really surprised by that because I'd never thought of it as being particularly tall. Tall for Brighton maybe, but nothing out of the ordinary.

Did you ever meet Sussex Heights Roving Art Group? :wink:

Were they the ones wearing tights? In August? Never heard of them. I think they were on the top floor. We were on the more dingy first floor...

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now
Nothing about the street I grew up in, but I did live in Brading Road for a while. Not listed there, but many streets in that area are named after towns on the Isle of Wight. What that doesn't say is why they did that.

The Kemp Town Brewery was one the corner of Eastern Road and Sutherland Road, on a site then adjacent to Brighton College, and now since bought and now owned by them.

jg_22_138.jpg

He built his own Manor House at Manor Farm (the southern end of Whitehawk now) in 1855.

jg_23_069.jpg

Out of interest, do you know where the Manor house would be today? I went to school in Whitehawk but do not recognise that building.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Out of interest, do you know where the Manor house would be today? I went to school in Whitehawk but do not recognise that building.

The map is below.

PannellKempTownMap.jpg

Additionally, the caption from this next picture reads... "The almost rural entrance to Manor Road from Church Place in 1934. At this period the road led merely to the Manor House, the farm cottages and a few other buildings. The house in the left foreground was removed when the estate was developed and the new Manor Road laid down."

jg_23_068.jpg

In this next one, dated 1958, the Manor House is still standing in the background, with some new council houses.

jg_23_070.jpg

The last one, taken from what looks like a similar position, is probably not dissimilar to how it is today...

jg_23_071.jpg

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now
The map is below.

PannellKempTownMap.jpg

Additionally, the caption from this next picture reads... "The almost rural entrance to Manor Road from Church Place in 1934. At this period the road led merely to the Manor House, the farm cottages and a few other buildings. The house in the left foreground was removed when the estate was developed and the new Manor Road laid down."

jg_23_068.jpg

In this next one, dated 1958, the Manor House is still standing in the background, with some new council houses.

jg_23_070.jpg

The last one, taken from what looks like a similar position, is probably not dissimilar to how it is today...

jg_23_071.jpg

Blimey. Thank you. Amazing how knocking down just one building can change the landscape of an area and in doing so, that area loses history it may not realise that it had.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patreon
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
The map is below.

PannellKempTownMap.jpg

jg_23_068.jpg

jg_23_070.jpg

jg_23_071.jpg

Interesting, I lived in that area for a while and I've been past Manor Gardens hundreds of times, nice to learn about some history of that area.

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
There are Redhill Drive and Redhill Close in Westdene.
As we know the Downs are made up of white chalk hills. However in this part of Westdene there is a cap of red clay sitting up the hill. Pre housing days when the farmer ploughed the fields there they were a vivid red. People in the old days used to say they were going up the "red hill", thus the name stuck.
I live in Green Ridge which is adjacent to a grassy ridge (next to Mill Road football car park) which sits above the Redhill and is one of the highest points in Brighton.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here