Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The abolition of Tax Returns...

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
As an accountant I've just called my professional body about Chancellor Osborne's abolition of Tax Returns announcement in yesterday's Budget. Their response: there was no consultation process about this - the government and HMRC just went ahead and did it, there is only a 9-page HMRC White Paper about it and no other documentation to shed any light re the technicalities, filing or implementation requirements, nobody knows when the nitty-gritty will be published and nobody knows when "early 2016" - the start date - actually is.

The technical advisor I spoke with was candid in his pessimism. My professional body hastily emailed all members immediately after the Budget seeking responses saying "Please send your comments, if possible, by close of business on 19 March", so just 28 hours after the Budget!

Don't get me wrong, I think the aims are laudable but the undue haste of this in the run-up to a General Election is astounding. Interestingly, Labour have made absolutely no comment on the subject, they could have agreed with the aim but disagreed with the implementation / timetable, they're just too lily-livered to be seen to disagree with the populist move of getting rid of Tax Returns.

No one comes out of this with any credit. Utter shambles, a disaster waiting to happen.

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
Surely this also opens up a new way to avoid tax. I want a simpler tax system, but this isn't going to be the way forward.

I personally think we need massive tax reform, simplify and then aggressively enforce it. Currently, it's like Swiss cheese..

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
The price of austerity ? Reduces the headcount in HMRC and promotes the use of new technology at the same time.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
As Robert peston said yesterday 'this from the country that spent billions and took a decade to deliver a single nhs computer platform'

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Stops writing None all over it, and "Accounts to be Submitted".

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
2020 is date of everyone being online so plenty of time to adapt. I have completed self assessment returns online for at least 5 years and am very happy with the service.

Would accountants lose out on some work as individuals and companies would have the calculations done by the HMRC?

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
As someone who hates doing their tax return once a year I'm thrilled at the prospect of having to do it every month :facepalm:
Thanks for f*ck all Gideon.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
As someone who hates doing their tax return once a year I'm thrilled at the prospect of having to do it every month :facepalm:
Thanks for f*ck all Gideon.

Not only that, it is forcing "everybody" to prepare their accounts using a suitable (costly) software package compatible with HMRC's software when there are thousands of small businesses who still operate "on the back of a fag packet".

All that will happen is the black economy will grow.

The other worrying thing is people will rely on HMRC's calculations more and more which of course are correct :facepalm:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Surely this also opens up a new way to avoid tax. I want a simpler tax system, but this isn't going to be the way forward..

how do we know when there's little information about what the replacement will be. in my mind they will abolish the "annual tax return" and replace with a "monthly tax submission", essentially the same process but more regular. that might be a good idea for a lot of people to keep track of everything, or really crap for those with erratic earnings. its an interesting policy to spring out from no where.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Not only that, it is forcing "everybody" to prepare their accounts using a suitable (costly) software package compatible with HMRC's software when there are thousands of small businesses who still operate "on the back of a fag packet".

The other worrying thing is people will rely on HMRC's calculations more and more which of course are correct :facepalm:

What are the best software options nowadays?

They kept changing the rates so that meant upgrading the software (I used Money Manager). It is quicker at the moment to do it on paper.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton

I'm very much of "on the back of a fag packet" variety, I'm not cheating anyone (in fact maybe I could get away with paying less) yet now I have to do 12 times a year instead of once except I'll have a bit less adding and x12 to do.
I have no desire to waste any more time on this tedious shite than I have to.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Yes, the annual Tax Return was not popular but be careful what you wish for.

The government and HMRC want Real Time Information that presently applies to all employees and pensioners to extend to the self-employed and directors so they can try and achieve the twin aims of getting the tax in faster AND paying the right amount of universal credits. Yet the prospect of all directors, sole traders, partnerships and those with rental income filing monthly so 12 times a year is a nightmare prospect for all involved.

I wonder if Labour are quiet on this because if they should lose the GE then this could be a HUGE stick to beat the Tories and Lib Dems with in the next parliament (assuming they both supported it as is).

2020 is date of everyone being online so plenty of time to adapt. I have completed self assessment returns online for at least 5 years and am very happy with the service.

Would accountants lose out on some work as individuals and companies would have the calculations done by the HMRC?
This, I get my tax return done by mid April, file it using ftax, and usually get a rebate by 10th may. The online gateway runs perfectly.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
I run a medium business taking around £175K per year employing 5 staff. Life for me gets easier every year. I run the fixed rate VAT system meaning every three months I add up my takings and send the VATman a simple percentage. 5 minutes and job done with no separate VAT books to keep or calculations to make. But I estimate it saves me £30K a year in payments. Staff wages done weekly with electronic returns again takes minutes. I use 12pay.co.uk free wages software and a home made spreadsheet for books transfering to the well known 'D' account book. My accountant charges £130 to check my books once a year, make adjustments, add claims for car etc and fill in my tax return electronically for me.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I run a medium business taking around £175K per year employing 5 staff. Life for me gets easier every year. I run the fixed rate VAT system meaning every three months I add up my takings and send the VATman a simple percentage. 5 minutes and job done with no separate VAT books to keep or calculations to make. But I estimate it saves me £30K a year in payments. Staff wages done weekly with electronic returns again takes minutes. I use 12pay.co.uk free wages software and a home made spreadsheet for books transfering to the well known 'D' account book. My accountant charges £130 to check my books once a year, make adjustments, add claims for car etc and fill in my tax return electronically for me.

How can you be saving £30K in VAT payments? The very lowest Flat Rate Percentage is 4% of gross, so for you that would mean c. £7K of VAT paid. Even if all of your supplies were standard-rated the VAT content in £175K is only £29,167, so a gain of only £22,167. And 4% is for input-VAT intensive business like retailing food, confectionery and tobacco. You might want to take a look at that. At £130 a year I doubt whether it's even crossed your accountant's mind.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
How can you be saving £30K in VAT payments? The very lowest Flat Rate Percentage is 4% of gross, so for you that would mean c. £7K of VAT paid. Even if all of your supplies were standard-rated the VAT content in £175K is only £29,167, so a gain of only £22,167. And 4% is for input-VAT intensive business like retailing food, confectionery and tobacco. You might want to take a look at that. At £130 a year I doubt whether it's even crossed your accountant's mind.

Maybe he has the same advisors as Starbucks?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here