Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

When you next drive along A27 by pass to Amex......

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
.....by car or bus, look at the verges. They are absolutely disgusting with tons of rubbish strewn along both sides of the carriageways.

Heaven knows what tourists and others passing through think.

Who is responsible for keeping this road clean? Council or Highway's Agency? They need to pull their fingers out.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
The people dropping the rubbish?

Why can't they take it home with them or find a bin rather than dump it and expect someone else to clean it up and a public body having to use public money to pay for their laziness.

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
.....by car or bus, look at the verges. They are absolutely disgusting with tons of rubbish strewn along both sides of the carriageways.

Who is responsible for keeping this road clean? Council or Highway's Agency? They need to pull their fingers out.

Amazed you have posted this. I was down for the Birmingham and Leeds matches and drove past the Amex West up the hill to Ditchling Road a few times in 5 days and was appalled at the amount of rubbish. Should be on the spot fines for the litterers and squads out to clear the mess. In fact those caught messing our streets should be forced to do 12 hours community litter cleaning service.
It's as bad here in Glasgow but it has noticeably improved than a decade ago. Also graffiti in public transport is much reduced here due in most to the liberal use of CCTV.

'Keep Britain Tidy - Deport a Palace Fan'

is my tidy motto....

TNBA

TTF

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I thought exactly the same last week.

Has anyone who is supposed to clear it been on strike ? or was there an 'unusual litter event' ?

Bombadier Botty

Complete Twaddle
Jun 2, 2008
Most people who drop litter are thickos who eat in places like McDonalds. The amount of McDonalds/KFC/pizza-related junk littering the verges of this once great nation is quite something.

Smirko

Aug 19, 2011
Brighton
Same as A23 around Hickstead. It's as if a refuse truck has gone along spewing its rubbish out the back but it's all down to thoughtless litterers in cars.

this! all up the A23 is attrocious, verges are strewn with it, only thinking the other day wahtan eyesore our verges are with rubbish everywhere!

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

It's people who are at fault, I'm afraid many people have no consideration for the environment whatsoever. It's cultural and engrained and it isn't going to change. There was a piece on BBC Radio Sussex earlier talking about litter and how many people the council employ to keep the beach and the rest of the city clean.
He was saying that people still bring bottles and glass jars on to the beach and leave them or break them and that broken glass in shingle is almost impossible to remove without great effort. But, still it goes on, every year you will see morons drinking bottles of beer and just dumping them on the beach or throwing them in the water but, the moment some poor sod treads on a bottle the council get the blame !

He said he was stuck in traffic one day and people in the car in front just threw their KFC packaging out into the road so he jumped out of his car and pushed it back in to the car saying " you can take this home thank you very much " much to their shame in front of their kids.

Can It change ? I doubt it, there is no budget for a significant Keep Britain Tidy campaign ( Plus it did not really work back in the day anyway ) and council budgets are cut year on year and so street cleaning is almost the last item on the list of priorities. Just get used to the crap as it isn't going to change.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Cameras. Easy. Although probably not so satisfying to the fuzz as catching drivers drafting slightly over the limit on deserted roads. Still, I once reported a bloke for throwing litter out of his car on the A27 and the police did him for not having road tax. Joy.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
It's the same with dogshit throughout Brighton. All down to public spending cuts I think.

All down to ignorant ***** imo. There is NO excuse for not taking your litter to a bin or bagging your dog's shit.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Now that's a coincidence. Driving Lewes to Brighton this very morning and mentioned to my Wife about the rubbish. It was only cleared a short while back by a team of guys. My theory is that much of it comes from the huge Veolia rubbish lorries that always leave a stream of paper behind them.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
It's the same with dogshit throughout Brighton. All down to public spending cuts I think.
Interesting. I've noticed more dogshit in Eastbourne recently too.

I normally just blame the old people who haven't realised it is socially unacceptable but I guess it must also be that it isn't getting cleaned away as frequently.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
It clearly looks appalling at the moment because all of the hedges have been cut back, exposing the rubbish.

Clearing this up should IMO be something that could be done as part of a Community Service Order, or whatever it's called now - much better than fining someone. Problem is Health and Safety, I guess it's a non starter.

I would make every fast food drive through have the car registration marked on the bags for a start.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here