Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

if you had a cheap holiday. in Tunisia today would you go?

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Terrorism can happen anywhere and Tunisia isn't having major problems with it and so it wouldn't put me off. What does though is the amount of people i've spoken too who said they wouldn't go back again because they didn't like it. It really does appear to quite an unpopular destination.
Maybe i should check it out myself though and form my own opinion as i once said that Turkey isn't my type of place and yet i've been 8 times now.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
I have been a few years ago, one big dust bowl by the sea. Left the hotel once on the second day, horrible experience in town dirty, fecking, horrible men there all of em. Wouldn't go if you paid me, especially not with children.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Mrs Pevenseagull is on her way there as I type. I'm worried sick.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
I have been a few years ago, one big dust bowl by the sea. Left the hotel once on the second day, horrible experience in town dirty, fecking, horrible men there all of em. Wouldn't go if you paid me, especially not with children.

I went in the 80's, probably changed a bit, but similar thoughts as you.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
More needless deaths.

Starting to become immune to this nonsense,although i do await the first chin dribbler on NSC to appear and come out with terms like "permanently offended" and to justify 17 year old blokes joining IS and for slowly beheading people because the west had invaded somewhere when these people were in nappies

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I went last year. Carthage was fascinating and found all the people very friendly. Not sure I would go back though, though largely because I probably wouldn't want to do an all inclusive holiday again.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I don't go on cheap holidays but was thinking a few years back of visiting Tunisia in our campervan. Easy to get to with a ferry from Italy and mild winter weather. Then the south of the country became insecure and now I would not wish to go there at all.

Had great trips camping and 4wding in Saudi Arabia, Jordan, Syria, and Morocco and was hoping the Arab Spring would have led to peace and access to Tunisia and Libya but unfortunately for them, in particular Libya, they have gone the way of Algeria.

No need to worry too much in the resorts of Mediterranean Tunisia.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home

We visited there a few years on a cruise and went to that museum...really impressive stuff in there. But we felt the same. Not a nice place and we had an " episode" with a trader in the souk where he ended up chasing us up the street, until my wife threatened him...would never go back there again! Last year on a holland america cruise, we were heading to Tunis when we were told to change course and head to Sicily instead as there had been specific threats made to american assets in Tunis.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
As others have said, I wouldn't go again but because I didn't really like the place rather than because of any threat.

Admittedly I went 20 years ago but it was nothing more than a desert with some hotels on the edge ( the one I stayed in didn't even have AC ). Hot, dry and dusty. I've traveled to many places all over the world and visited markets but the one in Tunisia I felt extremely uncomfortable in ( although I did get offered 20 camels for the then wife which was nice - with hindsight I should have taken them ! ).

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
More needless deaths.

Starting to become immune to this nonsense,although i do await the first chin dribbler on NSC to appear and come out with terms like "permanently offended" and to justify 17 year old blokes joining IS and for slowly beheading people because the west had invaded somewhere when these people were in nappies

Stop being a stupid ****.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Had a good time in Tunisia when I went, would have no qualms going back - in fact, we were thinking about it for a family holiday this year. Nice place,friendly people and seeing the sun come up over the Sahara has been one of my great experiences.

I also thoroughly enjoyed seeing Cheb Khaled play a gig in an open-air arena, even though I appeared to be the only white bloke among 2000 Tunisians, I never felt threatened - incidents like the one yesterday could happen anywhere and shouldn't be taken as a reflection of Tunisia as a whole

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Twin Towers but people still go to New York, London Underground bombings but we still go to London, Paris hostages but is still as popular.
We were meant to go to Kenya in September 2014 but all was cancelled after the shopping mall attack and the FCO declared it unsafe (full refund from holiday company). Personally I was happy not to go at the time yet those in Kenya said the terrorists were many miles away from the tourist spots.

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
I liked Tunisia for the very same reason the people on this thread that hate it didn't. You can go on a package holiday and still feel you're very much away from antiseptic identikit med-blah by walking a few streets back form the hotel. Tunis is a fine city to visit, and there are some fantatstic historic sites to visit. The El Djem amphitheatre in particular is great.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here