Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is Messi the best you've seen?

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
Excellent at club level. However like Ronaldinho, has so far failed to perform at international level.

Messi is clearly an amazing player but he is playing for and has always playing for one of the best club teams around.

His next World Cup for me is the defining moment of whether he can be called the greatest player of all time.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Best, Greaves and the many others from years gone by did not have every kick televised and shown over and over again. But would love to get to Spain to see a Real v Barca game but Wife is not a footy fan. Advert on tele as I write this, El Clasico this Sunday, anyone fancy a trip to Barcelona?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Best, Greaves and the many others from years gone by did not have every kick televised and shown over and over again. But would love to get to Spain to see a Real v Barca game but Wife is not a footy fan. Advert on tele as I write this, El Clasico this Sunday, anyone fancy a trip to Barcelona?

Neither did they have career statistics of 496 club games scoring 408 goals! :mad:

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I dunno, it's a tough call this... Messi vs Minton - nah Minton everyday of the week.

You don't Messi with Jeff.

I remember being at that match at Chester, we saw Bellotti beforehand and tried to give him a slap but he escaped, and afterwards everyone thought we were dead and buried.

pottert

Aug 12, 2009
Peacehaven
Messi & ronaldo you cannot really split them.

All I would say is that Ronaldo has done it the hard way.He learnt his trade in the cut & thrust of the English premier league.
It's fair to say that he joined the best club in the premier league but during his early days he was a long way off the finished article.

Barca took a gamble with Messi because they new he had the talent but has issues with how his body was growing.So Barca have nurtured him to become the player he is.
I don't think Messi was ever exposed like Ronaldo was.

For that reason I rate Ronaldo over Messi.

I think it's fair to say that the pair of them are beneficiaries of a game that is based on attacking football & devoid of tough tackling .
As well as the pitches that games are now played on.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
It's all well and good doing it in Spain but how good would he be on a wet Tuesday night in November away to Fleetwood eh? :jester:

The Mole

Feb 20, 2004
Bowdon actually , Cheshire
I saw the Messi vs Ronaldo showdown at Old Trafford. It was in the second half when Messi had been taken off that I really appreciated how much Argentina used him. Just about every attack went through him because he doesn't waste the ball. They knew that if you pass to Messi he will keep it and use it. And he came closest to scoring for Argentina.

Apart from Messi, it was a dreadful game though!

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
It used to be that all of his goals came from either individual brilliance or assists from Xavi/iniesta. Now that those two have aged, all of barcelonas goals at the moment are either messi's individual brilliance or assisted by messi. He is carrying them more than ever.

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton
Not as good as Ronaldo Of all time greats I rate him behind Ronaldo Best, Beckenbaur, Cryuff Pele and Maradona so not the bet for me.

Agree with those with the exception of Maradona, but would include Eusebio reported to have scored 749 club goals in 745 matches.Puskas who in 8 years at Real Madrid scored 324 goals in 372 matches and Di Stefano who scored 376 club goals in 524 career games.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here