Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Modern football fans.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Half and half scarves, selfie sticks and filming the match with an iPad, but this......

image.jpg

Fan asks Wayne Rooney's young son for an autograph at Old Trafford last weekend. :facepalm:

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
If you believe that's a true story.....

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
I thought he signs on behalf of his dad, more clarity in his writing.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Half and half scarves, selfie sticks and filming the match with an iPad, but this......

Fan asks Wayne Rooney's young son for an autograph at Old Trafford last weekend. :facepalm:

I don't really know why all of this bothers people so much.

- Half and half scarves: Don't like them? Don't buy them.
- Selfie sticks: Only person it impacts is the person in the selfie.
- Filming on the iPad: Again, only perosn missing out is the person with the iPad.

As for the photo, I think it's quite sweet (if indeed she is doing that and not just talking to the lad).

It always baffles me how people get so irritated by things that are so tiny in comparision to the real issues in football like how Hughton's hair is almost split down the middle grey and dark, how CMS gets his hair so shiny and lustrous and "Is Calde's contract sorted yet?".

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla

- Filming on the iPad: Again, only perosn missing out is the person with the iPad.

As for the photo, I think it's quite sweet (if indeed she is doing that and not just talking to the lad).

It always baffles me how people get so irritated by things that are so tiny in comparision to the real issues in football like how Hughton's hair is almost split down the middle grey and dark, how CMS gets his hair so shiny and lustrous and "Is Calde's contract sorted yet?".

It BAFFLES me as well.

Live at let live.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Young Kai will probably never have to do days work in his life .Daddy has provided well for his son.

Interesting you say that. Did you see that interview with beckham the other day where he sent Romeo out to work at the local Starbucks so he " earned" his pocket money. He said that if the children came to rely on handouts from their parents, then they would never know the difference in their privileged life and the common joe! He said his father always brought him up to earn his money theough hard work and he had been given a gift of ability and he shouldn't waste it.

He has his head screwed on the right way, of that there is no doubt. Although Romeo has signed papers to play for arsenal.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003

On their own they're pretty insignificant I grant you, but together they're indicative of The End Of Football As We Know It. My own pet hate (along with marketing jargon) is Mexican Waves. NO genuine football fan will EVER take part in a Mexican wave, and it's really sad to see all the daytrippers and Cliff Richard fans doing it at Wembley for England internationals. In The Good Old Days the only time you ever saw a Mexican wave at Wembley was if one was waving for help whilst he was getting the crap kicked out of him. You don't have to be a former member of the ICF to feel that football has lost something of its tribal soul amidst all the padded seats and selfie sticks.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
On their own they're pretty insignificant I grant you, but together they're indicative of The End Of Football As We Know It. My own pet hate (along with marketing jargon) is Mexican Waves. NO genuine football fan will EVER take part in a Mexican wave, and it's really sad to see all the daytrippers and Cliff Richard fans doing it at Wembley for England internationals. In The Good Old Days the only time you ever saw a Mexican wave at Wembley was if one was waving for help whilst he was getting the crap kicked out of him. You don't have to be a former member of the ICF to feel that football has lost something of its tribal soul amidst all the padded seats and selfie sticks.

I definitely agree that football has lost part of it's tribal soul and football has become a more sanitised, touristy spectator sport and whilst I find the lack of fan camerarderie, I think it's also the case that fans have changed. Going to the football is now a "nice day out", rather than the indulgence of a passion.

People don't want to fight, or wind up other fans, or stand up and sing for 90 minutes. Especially at the Amex, people just want to sit down quietly with their kids and enjoy a game of football. Maybe have a pie, take a family selfie and politely leave on 88 minutes to beat the traffic. I'm not saying that I like that per se. Atmosphere's are certainly not as vociferous in support as they were, and supporting your club seems to be more about merchandise than actual support, but as things go I would happily have all of these things as standard if it meant the price of the game went down for fans. Sadly, I think we're stuck with both.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I definitely agree that football has lost part of it's tribal soul and football has become a more sanitised, touristy spectator sport and whilst I find the lack of fan camerarderie, I think it's also the case that fans have changed. Going to the football is now a "nice day out", rather than the indulgence of a passion.

People don't want to fight, or wind up other fans, or stand up and sing for 90 minutes. Especially at the Amex, people just want to sit down quietly with their kids and enjoy a game of football. Maybe have a pie, take a family selfie and politely leave on 88 minutes to beat the traffic. I'm not saying that I like that per se. Atmosphere's are certainly not as vociferous in support as they were, and supporting your club seems to be more about merchandise than actual support, but as things go I would happily have all of these things as standard if it meant the price of the game went down for fans. Sadly, I think we're stuck with both.

I think you're probably spot-on. And I guess you realised that my 'beating up a Mexican' comment was meant as a (poor) joke and I don't really want to see a return to the violence of the 1970s.

That being said though I just don't like the modern 'matchday experience' and I will rail against it when I can. I quite accept that some (most?) people want to go to the football with their young kids and/or elderly relatives, buy a load of merchandise, sit quietly in their allocated seats, take some selfies and play with their phones or ipads during the boring bits - but that ain't for me. It's one of the reasons I've only been to the Amex once this season - and that was for the REMF quiz.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom

I have no objection to these people either. It's not for me, anymore than wearing a shirt/scarf and singing is either. What I do object to though is anyone of these groups attempting to force their particular version of support down the throats of the other groups. This is becoming the norm with society in general let alone football. Football was a working mans sport, I accept that it is probably no longer the case but why do these people insist that everyone must conform with their way of watching a match?

Don't stand up, don't sing etc etc.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
I have no objection to these people either. It's not for me, anymore than wearing a shirt/scarf and singing is either. What I do object to though is anyone of these groups attempting to force their particular version of support down the throats of the other groups. This is becoming the norm with society in general let alone football. Football was a working mans sport, I accept that it is probably no longer the case but why do these people insist that everyone must conform with their way of watching a match?

Don't stand up, don't sing etc etc.

I guess that's my point though. It's not those fans that are forcing it down our throats is it? It's the high price to attend a match combined with the over-exposure on TV and reliance on Corporate sponsorship thats moved it away from the working class, not people with selfie sticks and iPads.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven

".

Oh dear, looks like a hit a nerve with you then. :)
This modern way isn't for me, but you carry on with the above. :thumbsup:

As I said, modern fans :whistle:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here